Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:05 PM

645 posts, read 708,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
Just signed on with Esurance for auto and their affiliate (Homesite) for homeowners. Both were able to beat Geico by a fairly good amount. Car insurance went from $680 to $428 for one car. No claims record with them yet.
thanks so much, yeah their rate seems pretty good. do they have a branch here in vegas? or it's mostly just take pictures and email to file the claim? (can't remember the last time I got into an accident)

got a question about homeowners insurance, state farm's insurance for dwelling is the market value price, esurance's dwelling is about 1.6x more. The house did drop a lot since the sub-prime, esurance said if there is a need to replace the whole house, for their quote they will be able to replace it with all the current upgrades etc. but for state farm it will just be basic roof, kitchen etc (which isn't what I currently have) so who is correct? which one should I go with? 1.6x is a big difference and esurance is 10-15 dollar more a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 09:19 PM

413 posts, read 1,589,960 times
If I'm not mistaken, they are online only. In the event of a claim my guess is that you'd notify them and they would send an adjuster to evaluate the claim.
As far as the homeowners goes I have an HO-6 condo policy that costs me $261.00/year. The condo complex has their own policy that will rebuild the structure and my policy will replace from the walls in including possessions. As far as a regular homeowner's policy goes, full replacement cost is what you want. If you have stuff that would be considered an upgrade, make sure they know that otherwise in the event of a loss, you'll get the builder quality materials.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:17 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,321,981 times
That is exactly where insurance companies get you on Homeowners.

After reading thru all these posts, I decided to shop Shelter and Ameriprise; both highly recommended for price. Neither one could beat my Allstate. Allstate uses the true value of my house according to the assessor. The other two companies wanted to plus it up 100K. As soon as I told them the square footage, they referred to a table that must have been based on California property and multiplied the square footage by something like $400 a sqaure foot to rebuild. Now keep in mind, no matter what they want to claim your house is worth, you never have a total loss. The land your house is built on is left standing 99% of the time. And the foundation, if any. If you deduct the cost of your land from the market value of your house, that should give 100% replacement value. Neither Ameriprise or Shelter worked that way. Ultimately, the quotes they gave me for Homeowners ran almost $300 more than I am paying with Allstate. What a convenient way to sneakily get more money out of their policy holders !

Old 11-03-2015, 05:31 PM

413 posts, read 1,589,960 times
I have had the above debate about the foundation and land values countless times with countless insurance companies. Each one claimed "that's the way the system works". No question. It's a ripoff.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:07 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,572,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
car insurance went up 5%, got no tickets nothing and drove less than reported for the last 2 years that I have been with them. Insurance said in June the entire vegas went up, not just them but every insurance companies etc. is that true or they are BS me.
Mine has been increasing now by roughly 5% each year too. No incidents on record.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
That is exactly where insurance companies get you on Homeowners.

After reading thru all these posts, I decided to shop Shelter and Ameriprise; both highly recommended for price. Neither one could beat my Allstate. Allstate uses the true value of my house according to the assessor. The other two companies wanted to plus it up 100K. As soon as I told them the square footage, they referred to a table that must have been based on California property and multiplied the square footage by something like $400 a sqaure foot to rebuild. Now keep in mind, no matter what they want to claim your house is worth, you never have a total loss. The land your house is built on is left standing 99% of the time. And the foundation, if any. If you deduct the cost of your land from the market value of your house, that should give 100% replacement value. Neither Ameriprise or Shelter worked that way. Ultimately, the quotes they gave me for Homeowners ran almost $300 more than I am paying with Allstate. What a convenient way to sneakily get more money out of their policy holders !

so don't let them plus it up 100k or whatever? just use the market value? houses here in Vegas did drop a lot since 2008 so I was wondering that's why they want to insure it 1.6x than market value, it's all BS? ( I do have a lot of upgrade, when they ask me if I have this and that upgrade I said yes maybe that drove it up or just use the market value, so just let them know all the upgrade but use market value?)

Old 11-05-2015, 01:42 AM

956 posts, read 791,263 times
I have State Farm, high liability, but no collision and no comprehensive. Moved from LA to Palm Springs and it went down a small bit because it was already dirt cheap, then moved here and it DOUBLED in price. I dropped all the medical to get it to 400 every six months. I'm 59 and only drive about five hundred (500) miles annually and the car is a 2007 Yaris. The agent said it was my location causing the problem (89102 W Sahara & Valley View).

I see a LOT of accidents occurring because people make left turns on W Sahara when traffic is backed up, cutting through an opening in stopped traffic, then don't look when crossing the bus lane... and when traffic backs up, crazies jump in the bus lane and just floor it and end up hitting them full on broad side.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:45 PM

78 posts, read 312,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
any of you got esurance? are they any good for car, home, health insurance?
I used to have them but they couldn't beat GEICO for me here in NV.

They started off as an independent online insurance company but then got bought over by Allstate.
They are still online only and operate kind of independent of Allstate though. No experience with their
claim process.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:57 PM

esurance is surely cheap, might use them for home insurance as well. for home insurance are they decent as well?

Old 10-04-2016, 12:54 AM

621 posts, read 538,988 times
I just got a quote from Geico for my new address in 89118 and it was almost triple what I paid in NY. Needless to say I'm going to shop around a few other places. I was wondering if there were any new recommendations for companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: