Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:32 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,799,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Currently I pay in So Cal $4300 for 3 vehicles for a year.. That is with full coverage, $200 deduc for collision, $100 deduc for comprehensive.... That is with 1 driver with a not so good driving record...

When we were looking to move to Las Vegas and we found an area we wanted we checked with our insurance and they gave us a quote about $1200 cheaper than we pay now with the same perimeters....

Now I have heard from a few Insurance companies and even friends of ours that do car insurance, that your zip code has a lot to do with it also....
We, too, found that our insurance dropped. Maybe it's the zip code? No idea, but I hear of all the insurance rates doubling for posters who moved here and it makes me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times
Ours stayed almost exactly the same for house and car combined. From Iowa.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:02 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,176,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Remember to consider other things besides just the lowest price. Check websites for various insurance commissoners ratings or complaints on insurance companies you are looking at. Also check reviews on how these companies take care of claims or don't take care of claims. Sometimes the lowest price is because they fail to adequately compensate policy holders when settling claims. This can be done several ways. One is by raising your rates after your first claim and or at renewal time. Another is by having insurance adjusters use Guides to determine values less than fair market value.

I recently had a bid from an Insurance Company who gave me a great price. I then inquired about what would happen if an insured had an at fault accident. I was advised that the standard practice was to raise their rates $500 the first year, $300 the second year and $100 the third year. When I pressured him further he stated that this was the company's standard practice and that they didn't deviate from that. He said the way to prevent that was not to make any claims under $1000 as that's what it would cost you in increased premiums.

Bottom line is ask questions regarding what happens if you have to use the insurance.
This!

A lot of my old co-workers at Nellis AFB a ran into these type of problems. As soon as they filed a claim of any type, that's when their rates doubled, tripled, or they just got dropped. One of them even had to go to court to fight for adequate compensation. All of these companies have/had commercials running with a mascot behind them.

Scoop is right about these companies having to pay for their ads.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:47 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,817,266 times
it's expensive because of the farking injury lawyers... that and the fact that there is a demand for them...

Old 11-21-2014, 12:22 PM

249 posts, read 332,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWNLV View Post
In a previous state, I saved almost 50% switching from Geico (you are paying for all those ads) to Shelter Insurance.

Check out Shelter, I bet you will be pleased.
I've never heard of Shelter. I'll add them to my list for quotes. I appreciate your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Now I have heard from a few Insurance companies and even friends of ours that do car insurance, that your zip code has a lot to do with it also....
Geico (my current insurance company) told me the same thing, that the zip code of the city I'm in will make a difference on the rates. It's frustrating!

Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,576,319 times
I'm currently paying more than 5 times less with Geico than other companies. I have no idea why. I've had a claim with them too and it was handled excellently. To make matters more perplexing, when I moved to green valley from a more central (higher crime) area in the city, my rates also rose.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:42 AM

249 posts, read 332,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I'm currently paying more than 5 times less with Geico than other companies. I have no idea why. I've had a claim with them too and it was handled excellently.
Wow 5 times less w/ Geico! That's encouraging news

Yea their claims department is excellent! My vehicle was broken into a couple of years ago and the drivers door lock was destroyed. The claims adjuster worked a deal w/ me and saved me $400 (my comprehensive deductible is $500). He said if I waived the paint job (which it really didn't need, but it was standard to do w/ my particular situation) he would deduct $400 off my deductible. So I ended up pay only $100! Needless to say I was extremely happy w/ their prompt & friendly service and their willingness to save me money. And now I'm at a point where I've earned 1 accident forgiveness. Also, my insurance dropped $200/year once this vehicle reached the 5 year marker w/ them. I've had other vehicles, but never for as long as 5 years. I didn't know a deep discount like this happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
To make matters more perplexing, when I moved to green valley from a more central (higher crime) area in the city, my rates also rose.
That is disconcerting. I would think it would be the opposite.

I still need to get quotes (grateful for everyone's input), got to satisfy my curiosity, but now I'm wondering if I'll find a better deal than Geico? Well I'll find out soon enough!

I really appreciate your info!

Old 11-22-2014, 02:23 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,576,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Love View Post
Wow 5 times less w/ Geico! That's encouraging news

Yea their claims department is excellent! My vehicle was broken into a couple of years ago and the drivers door lock was destroyed. The claims adjuster worked a deal w/ me and saved me $400 (my comprehensive deductible is $500). He said if I waived the paint job (which it really didn't need, but it was standard to do w/ my particular situation) he would deduct $400 off my deductible. So I ended up pay only $100! Needless to say I was extremely happy w/ their prompt & friendly service and their willingness to save me money. And now I'm at a point where I've earned 1 accident forgiveness. Also, my insurance dropped $200/year once this vehicle reached the 5 year marker w/ them. I've had other vehicles, but never for as long as 5 years. I didn't know a deep discount like this happens.

That is disconcerting. I would think it would be the opposite.

I still need to get quotes (grateful for everyone's input), got to satisfy my curiosity, but now I'm wondering if I'll find a better deal than Geico? Well I'll find out soon enough!

I really appreciate your info!
It was only about 10 dollars more a year but yes, I would think the opposite too. The only thing I can think of is that they know that my commute to work is now longer from Henderson. Of course, this opens up more risk for accidental damage.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:13 PM

645 posts, read 709,492 times
car insurance went up 5%, got no tickets nothing and drove less than reported for the last 2 years that I have been with them. Insurance said in June the entire vegas went up, not just them but every insurance companies etc. is that true or they are BS me.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:01 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,976,376 times
Don't shop just rate also shop coverage. For those who have a LegalShield membership shop in your membership benefits section when you log into your portal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: