Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:38 AM

24 posts, read 134,094 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a lot about negative thoughts on North Las Vegas. My husband and I are considering a move to Las Vegas with our three small kids and thought (according to website info) that a new master planned community called Aliante looked like a nice development, but it is in north LV from what I can tell. Does anyone have any REAL insight on this new community? Is it just a new Summerlin? And should we just stick to Summerlin? We have friends in Henderson who love it there, but we're very confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 10:21 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katodrums View Post
I've been reading a lot about negative thoughts on North Las Vegas. My husband and I are considering a move to Las Vegas with our three small kids and thought (according to website info) that a new master planned community called Aliante looked like a nice development, but it is in north LV from what I can tell. Does anyone have any REAL insight on this new community? Is it just a new Summerlin? And should we just stick to Summerlin? We have friends in Henderson who love it there, but we're very confused.
In general North Las Vegas north of Craig Road is fine. It is indistinguishable from the other new suburbs in the ring that runs around Las Vegas including Henderson and Summerlin. Aliante is a newer master planned community that is partially built and under active development.

The Aliante price point is probably 10% or so below that of Summerlin. Mostly similar homes on mildly bigger lots. The Summerlin name carries a premium.

There are "best buys" in the burbs north of Aliante. The down side is that you drive 3 or 4 miles to the grocery store. These communities are in the City of Las Vegas or in North Las Vegas.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:47 AM

Default thanks

thanks for the info...I also saw your post on another board about Desert Shores. That looks like a pretty community too.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:41 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
In general North Las Vegas north of Craig Road is fine. It is indistinguishable from the other new suburbs in the ring that runs around Las Vegas including Henderson and Summerlin. Aliante is a newer master planned community that is partially built and under active development.

The Aliante price point is probably 10% or so below that of Summerlin. Mostly similar homes on mildly bigger lots. The Summerlin name carries a premium.

There are "best buys" in the burbs north of Aliante. The down side is that you drive 3 or 4 miles to the grocery store. These communities are in the City of Las Vegas or in North Las Vegas.
On this I would agree with Olecapt. If you go to North Las Vegas you really have to go North. Don't go below Craig Road or it gets bad and has lots of crime. I remember when Aliante first opened a few years ago. We went there and looked at the houses. It's very nice, although much more expensive now than when it first opened.

The Summerlin name carries a premium but it's really worth it. Summerlin is great, it's clean, very nice, great mountain views, etc. Some of the places in the north aren't as built up as other areas. But they will be in time with more and more people moving there.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:47 AM

How about the schools in Summerlin? On some of the other boards I read some really heated debates about the safety and quality of the schools, but in other places I read good things. This is one of the heaviest-weighing issues on our decision to move. I don't care how great the cost of living is and beautiful the weather is, but if the schools are not good AND safe, it's a deal breaker. Any thoughts on this? I really appreciate the comments.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM

The schools of Summerlin and Green Valley are much the same as any middle class or upper middle class neighborhood in any other city. They are certainly not perfect...but they are very good. It is pretty much the same old game. Look at the neighborhood demographics and it will tell you how the schools are.

The high schools are a little more homogeneous as they draw off much bigger areas. But again the top 10 high schools are more than adequate.

You can find a ranking of the schools on donohueteam.com. hit the schools button. The indivdual names are linked to the school reports which include demographic data.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:38 PM

I spent two years working as substitute teacher for the Clark County School District. I subbed only at middle and high schools throughout the valley. So I have first hand experiences with the schools. They are horrible throughout the entire valley. Nevada schools are ranked 48 out of 50 states for almost the worst schools in the country.

However, if you must live in Las Vegas I would strongly suggest sticking to the Summerlin area schools. Even the Green Valley schools are not so good from my experience. People brag about Green Valley High School as being so good but I completely disagree and I spent enough days there to actually have an opinion on it.

Stear clear of Las Vegas schools altogether, go private schools if you can afford it. If you have no choice then stick with Summerlin. It's by far the best area.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:10 PM

Schools are a BIG issue in deciding where to live. We currently live on Long Island, where both my husband and I grew up. We pay ASTRONOMICAL amounts in taxes and live in a very small, very old, very expensive house in a desirable neighborhood. That being said, the schools where we are are taking a quick downward spiral. We've had bomb threats, student beatings, apathetic parents and that's at the elementary school level.

We are also considering North Carolina and Seattle in our relocation quest. I get kind of nervous when I hear that the schools in LV are on par with any similar-sized town. I thought that many of the new developments were putting in new schools along with the houses. Are these just understaffed?

Summerlin was the area of LV we had started to lean in.
I appreciate your thoughts on this everyone.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:32 PM

That is nonsense. If Redwingfan had taught 40 years in 16 school system the opinion might be of some value. Otherwise it is an anecdote. I know too many people with children who have done it here and elsewhere to believe it is any different.

There are a reasonable set of demographics and performance metrics that pretty conclusively indicate their is no difference between the good Green Valley Schools and those of Summerlin

In Grade schools both Summerlin and Henderson/GV both have 3 in the top ten. GV has the 1 and 2 slots. In Middle Schools GV has 3 in the top 10 and Summerlin 2.

In high schools the top six are magnet schools led by Advanced Tech. The Anthem Seven Hills area has 7, Green Valley is number 8 and the Summerlin high school (Palo Verde) is 14th. In national merit scholarships GV leads the way with 9. Adv Tech has 5. CCSD had 45 semi-finalists - not exceptional but not indicative of a lousey school system either.

There are other areas that do pretty well. The area south of McCarran for instance..and the northern section of North Las Vegas.

These are of course academics. You may also want to look at the level of discipline and the demographic makeup of the area. As a for instance Hyde Park is far and away the best middle school academically. Yet it is a mixed area where I would be very concerned with a non-motivated kid.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:02 PM

Olcapt.... I just looked at your profile. No wonder you are always talking up Las Vegas and not willing to be honest about the negatives with people....

tada...

You're a realtor! It's your job to talk the place up even when it's looking down. Now I get it! That explains a lot...a whole lot!

By the way, Hyde Park... yuck! It's a big time minority school, not a place I would send me kids too or an area that I would even consider living in or near!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas