Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,334,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm from a decent enough suburb of Los Angeles. One of my friends moved there. She is a white female and bought herself a "cute" newer home on the West Side. She claims to like it but also hasn't made any friends...in 2 years. I think she just likes the house she got and the kick up from L.A.

I've gone to visit her several times. The pluses are: (1) everything is new and the freeways/streets are wide, (2) prices are reasonable, and (3) except for the blistering summer heat, there is nice comfortable weather most of the year.

The down side is that: (1) everywhere I went, the people seem calloused, rude and with a completeley disinterested M.O.. It seems like a hard town, sending the worst of LA and the East Coast, except for some nice people who want to buy a house, maybe (Sorry) I've sat in Starbucks coffee shops in the center, the near suburbs, Summerlin and Henderson and was hard pressed to find people that seemed nice and upstanding. Same thing for the health clubs. I wouldn't dream of putting important belongings in the locker. And I've lived in a handful of large to medium US cities, (2) with the calloused people, comes the crime. I could see this as being replete with muggings and carjackings. Maryland Parkway and Sahara are scary, as are other areas east of the Strip.

I think that a clean cut guy would feel really out of place here.
You left out educated---you must remember about half of those in THECesspool never made it out of high school. No wonder so many posters on this site are thrilled with THECesspool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:03 AM

818 posts, read 3,699,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Not at all, they are actually more SLICK...in a tacky and can't be trusted sort of way. I saw more SLICK than SCRUFF in all corners of Las Vegas, from the low-end to the high-end.

My friend with the newer house in a new SW neighborhood wants me to move there, but I hem and haw...based on the Starbucks sniff test. She has agreed, though, saying that one has to be real careful as to who they befriend there.
I guess everyone has their own methods of figuring out people and places, but you sound like a guy who is quick to take any small indication that supports your predispositions and prejudices instead of actually gathering evidence.

I wouldn't trust your intuition or your "Starbucks sniff test," but then again, I'm just one of the scary people on Maryland Parkway that you think will mug or carjack you.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,081 times
is this thread still active? I am moving out to Las Vegas fro Philadelphia soon and would love to hear more feedback. Is it "dog-friendly"? Is it a good place to meet single 30-somethings?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:01 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaPAgirl View Post
is this thread still active? I am moving out to Las Vegas fro Philadelphia soon and would love to hear more feedback. Is it "dog-friendly"? Is it a good place to meet single 30-somethings?
GuinessJim is your man to talk to...about dogs...AND meeting single 30-somethings! He's one of the good guys...and LV has been a great match for him.

(GJ...not that you need any....but that's your lead in...)

Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaPAgirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
GuinessJim is your man to talk to...about dogs...AND meeting single 30-somethings! He's one of the good guys...and LV has been a great match for him.

(GJ...not that you need any....but that's your lead in...)
lol...thx, jfk .

PhilaPAgirl - LV is pretty dog friendly. there are several nice dog parks and numerous ok ones. let me qualify that remark by saying that i have two big young dogs (100+lbs, ~2yo) that need a ton of room to run. for us, nice = big. i walk to one of the ok ones in the am, and then drive 10-15min to the big one in the pm. if your dog loves the outdoors (e.g. hikes) there is plenty of that out here as well (you'll be trading the burrs for cacti and cholla, so depending on your dog that may be a trade up/down....what kind/s do you have?). also, during the HEAT of the summer, you can always take you dogs to the mts (~20/more degrees cooler). and if your dog loves the snow (mine do), there is plenty of that up there right now as well.

as for it being a good place to meet single 30-somethings, it can be. i have met most of my friends out here through the dog parks (or through people from the dog park). the local bar scene (not the tourist bar scene) is pretty good, and i have yet to have a bad time out (some times are definitely better, but thats life). i have only been to the clubs a few times and they are basically what you'd expect. in my experience so far (i moved here 9/1/07), the numbers should be in your favor....i have meet probably 2x the number of single guys as single girls. if you expand the age range 20s-40s, the numbers even out a little more. i haven't checked them out yet, but there are numerous groups to help you meet people here as well.

i guess it probably depends a lot on your personality and the type of people you want to meet.

feel free to ask more specific q's if you have them or send me a PM.

good luck w/ your move.

*oh yeah...i'm 35, single, 2 dogs, thoroughly enjoying LV

Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 AM

5 posts, read 18,825 times
I went there OCT 2007 for and I can't get it out of my system......I've already told my husband that if he doesn't move me there..........he can come visit me. I absolutely LOVE Las Vegas. I seen more than the strip......I went to Summerlin......Lake Mead area.....looked at the "behind the scenes" and still............love the place. I love the desert...the night life....the 24 hour mentality.........I'm a 40 year old woman going through midlife crisis and empty nest syndrome...........I think Las Vegas is my cure.
The only think I worry about is living alone.......sounds like it could be scary...even in a gated community.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:10 PM

12 posts, read 144,330 times
I hace relatives in NLV, my cousin says that LV Blvd is always with garbage, cans of beer...I visited in 2000 now i guess things have changed.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajungirl1 View Post
I went there OCT 2007 for and I can't get it out of my system......I've already told my husband that if he doesn't move me there..........he can come visit me. I absolutely LOVE Las Vegas. I seen more than the strip......I went to Summerlin......Lake Mead area.....looked at the "behind the scenes" and still............love the place. I love the desert...the night life....the 24 hour mentality.........I'm a 40 year old woman going through midlife crisis and empty nest syndrome...........I think Las Vegas is my cure.
The only think I worry about is living alone.......sounds like it could be scary...even in a gated community.
Way too many people think that Las Vegas is "the cure."

Good luck....you will find much company there.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:17 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIVER_1414 View Post
I hace relatives in NLV, my cousin says that LV Blvd is always with garbage, cans of beer...I visited in 2000 now i guess things have changed.
Are they talking about Las Vegas Blv in (North las Vegas?) or the strip itself? I think the strip is very clean for all the cars and people that move through it. I'm sure they clean it up as much as they can, there is nothing worse than a dirty street.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 PM

174 posts, read 970,257 times
I would just like to ask a question. Where is everyone going when they meet all these horrendous people in Las Vegas? The Gentleman's Club where they cant get a lap dance? The hotel clerk that won't upgrade them to a suite for $ 20 bucks? The waitress that passes you by after you stiffed her for the last 3 drinks? I have lived here for 2 years and if I've meet 2 people that have been just slightly non friendly that would be a lot. I didn't even have a hard time at the DMV. I'm beginning to think that the people who complain the most here probably come with the theory that LV people have attitudes. This is a service oriented city. I can't picture someone who lives or works here copping an attitude with anyone for no reason.

Comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas