Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:58 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,264,428 times

Advertisements

I will give you an argument on this one dyn...Mike and thousand of others made rationale buy decisions given the time and place. Mike made some other bad decisions about how to handle the financing but basically that is a secondary concern. He got sucked in on the refinance in a while scheme.

I have a little analysis of such a tract in the NW that I will publish in the next few days. What it says though is basically everybody who bought in the tract has been savaged and virtually all will have to take a large loss or a foreclosure/short sale eventually. Perhaps a third of the place are absentee owners but the rest were simply folk looking for a home. And the hit is so large that virtually nobody will get out without bank help.

In fact the hit is so large that most of those people should likely bail...and now while the tax implications are minimal and to start the clock on the credit damage that occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 12:41 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,168,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I will give you an argument on this one dyn...Mike and thousand of others made rationale buy decisions given the time and place. Mike made some other bad decisions about how to handle the financing but basically that is a secondary concern. He got sucked in on the refinance in a while scheme.

Can't really disagree with ya Capt.....sucked in being the operative word....same as my uncle and a ton of farmers in the 80's....the result of bein naive about the integrity of the lending institutions.[boy am I gonna catch crap for that statement ]

I lost my faith in banks and lenders as honest people after all the farm auctions.....now they've moved to the home auctions.....

Old 12-29-2007, 01:33 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,542,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
In fact the hit is so large that most of those people should likely bail...and now while the tax implications are minimal and to start the clock on the credit damage that occurs.
Excellent point, Jim. So many hold off for so long, thus deepening the hole that they will eventually have to climb out of. If one is going to have to climb out of a 20-foot hole...why not stop digging at 6-feet....where one would have less to climb...and would get out that much quicker.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:42 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,418,107 times
Default The big mixed bag with a lot of down side

I'm from a decent enough suburb of Los Angeles. One of my friends moved there. She is a white female and bought herself a "cute" newer home on the West Side. She claims to like it but also hasn't made any friends...in 2 years. I think she just likes the house she got and the kick up from L.A.

I've gone to visit her several times. The pluses are: (1) everything is new and the freeways/streets are wide, (2) prices are reasonable, and (3) except for the blistering summer heat, there is nice comfortable weather most of the year.

The down side is that: (1) everywhere I went, the people seem calloused, rude and with a completeley disinterested M.O.. It seems like a hard town, sending the worst of LA and the East Coast, except for some nice people who want to buy a house, maybe (Sorry) I've sat in Starbucks coffee shops in the center, the near suburbs, Summerlin and Henderson and was hard pressed to find people that seemed nice and upstanding. Same thing for the health clubs. I wouldn't dream of putting important belongings in the locker. And I've lived in a handful of large to medium US cities, (2) with the calloused people, comes the crime. I could see this as being replete with muggings and carjackings. Maryland Parkway and Sahara are scary, as are other areas east of the Strip.

I think that a clean cut guy would feel really out of place here.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:19 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,725,199 times
You just described Oakland, CA

Old 12-31-2007, 09:11 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,168,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The down side is that: (1) everywhere I went, the people seem calloused, rude and with a completeley disinterested M.O.. It seems like a hard town, sending the worst of LA and the East Coast, except for some nice people who want to buy a house, maybe (Sorry) I've sat in Starbucks coffee shops in the center, the near suburbs, Summerlin and Henderson and was hard pressed to find people that seemed nice and upstanding. Same thing for the health clubs. I wouldn't dream of putting important belongings in the locker. And I've lived in a handful of large to medium US cities, (2) with the calloused people, comes the crime. I could see this as being replete with muggings and carjackings. Maryland Parkway and Sahara are scary, as are other areas east of the Strip.

I think that a clean cut guy would feel really out of place here.

I have to disagree, I see clean cut people all over the place....including myself

At home depot and loews I see clean cut people that are scruffy from working in their yard....maybe its the people that go to Starbucks and the health clubs that are scruffy........

Old 01-01-2008, 10:16 AM

11 posts, read 33,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Different from other areas of the country?
No such thing as same. Even twins are different

Old 01-01-2008, 01:03 PM

8 posts, read 26,932 times
thank you for information.

David to south of FRANCE

Old 01-01-2008, 10:57 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,542,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It seems like a hard town, sending the worst of LA and the East Coast, except for some nice people who want to buy a house, maybe (Sorry)
Please, LV, take more! No wonder the population keeps increasing. I know a quite a few LI'ers I can send that way.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,418,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
....maybe its the people that go to Starbucks and the health clubs that are scruffy........
Not at all, they are actually more SLICK...in a tacky and can't be trusted sort of way. I saw more SLICK than SCRUFF in all corners of Las Vegas, from the low-end to the high-end.

My friend with the newer house in a new SW neighborhood wants me to move there, but I hem and haw...based on the Starbucks sniff test. She has agreed, though, saying that one has to be real careful as to who they befriend there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas