Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 PM

687 posts, read 4,407,071 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Does anyone know if the Wynn allows kids and how good is the buffet. My Mom is coming in from Reno and will be staying at the Wynn, she wants us to come down there for dinner Wednesday night. My 19 year old is a picky eater and I'm hoping there might be something on the buffet somewhere that he might like.
My 10 year old however eats seafood and everything else under the sun, so I'm not to worried about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 PM

402 posts, read 746,498 times
Pretty good buffet. As long as picky eater doesn't mean something super-exotic, he'll be fine.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:07 PM

427 posts, read 631,427 times
I like the Wynn and Bellagio buffets and yes, kids are allowed.

I don't eat meat or seafood so lunch is the best value for me. Love the dessert shots.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:05 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,322,562 times
It's a very pricey buffet, right up there costing about the same as Wicked Spoon at Cosmopolitan. You'll find excellent rack of lamb, prime rib, sea bass, halibut, etc. I can't imagine that a younger child or a teenager would get excited about it and your Mom will be paying about $50 per person for young people who probably would prefer pizza.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:51 AM

654 posts, read 1,324,177 times
Is she dead set on going to the Wynn buffet? I've been there a couple times recently & it's not nearly what it used to be. It's nice, sure ... but is it $40 nice? No. While the kids can go, they may not find as much variety they'll like as other buffets.

If she's open to other options, some suggestions:

* Caesar's Palace - pretty pricey, but probably the best buffet in Las Vegas right now. Suggestion to keep it affordable would be to go just before 3 PM, when it's cheaper ($35 vs $50 per person), you won't have to wait forever to get in & they'll still be switching over to dinner stuff at 3 PM. Kids will find enough options to enjoy. The wagyu sliders are a pleasant surprise & the seafood is good. You can get hot crab legs. Nice Italian meat options like prosciutto.

* Bellagio - while I haven't been in a while, as long as it hasn't deteriorated it should still have good food options. Not as expensive as Wynn & better food options, although the kids may not enjoy it as much.

* Rio Carnival World Buffet - while it's not as good as the others, it's a decent value-oriented buffet that will have plenty of options for kids. One thing I like is the Mongolian BBQ where you can pick your ingredients & have them stir-fry your stuff to order. They used to have crab legs & shrimp at a minimum for seafood at Wednesday dinner. You should still be able to get 1/2 off with local ID for the entire group, so it will only run $15/person for dinner. (Check in advance to be sure - at $30, I'd rather go to the seafood buffet, but at $15 it's a good value.) If you go, get the mango sorbet for dessert. Awesome.

* Rio Seafood Buffet - very distinct & different from the Carnival World Buffet, this one leans more towards seafood but still has plenty of other options for the kids. Their chicken is quite good & they usually have Prime Rib or roast beef along with a number of other ordinary dishes. Their sushi includes nigiri & sashimi & is usually quite fresh. Although I normally favor crab, they have baby lobster tails that are usually quite good along with larger shrimp cooked with the lobster that taste better than any others I've had. Generally I go for a couple varieties of mussels & some swordfish and/or salmon as well. The good news is it's discounted to $42 with players card & another 25% beyond that for up to 6 people with local ID (so $31.50/person).

If your Mom is open to it, I'd suggest the Seafood Buffet. It's easy to find if you park in the east garage, right inside that entrance to Masquerade Village downstairs from the Chippendales entrance & BK Burger Bar. I've taken a number of people for their first visit in the last few months & all absolutely raved at how much they enjoyed it. A couple were even long-term locals that didn't know about it because they confused it with the normal Carnival World Buffet - you have to look for the Seafood Buffet. It went through a period where it was just so-so, but it's awesome again & IMHO a great value for all those seafood options at $31.50/person (with players card & local ID).

Let us know which option you choose - hopefully you'll have good news about a great meal.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:36 AM

104 posts, read 255,129 times
We went to see Le Reve at Wynn this week and had the buffet. The show? MUST SEE!! The buffet? OK, but not worth the premium price. It seemed that the flavors were really average. Nothing that jumped out and made you say "wow, this is delicious."

I am right with delgadobb and their suggestions, particularly Bellagio!

Old 08-25-2014, 04:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Is she dead set on going to the Wynn buffet? I've been there a couple times recently & it's not nearly what it used to be. It's nice, sure ... but is it $40 nice? No. While the kids can go, they may not find as much variety they'll like as other buffets.

* Caesar's Palace - pretty pricey, but probably the best buffet in Las Vegas right now. Suggestion to keep it affordable would be to go just before 3 PM, when it's cheaper ($35 vs $50 per person), you won't have to wait forever to get in & they'll still be switching over to dinner stuff at 3 PM. Kids will find enough options to enjoy. The wagyu sliders are a pleasant surprise & the seafood is good. You can get hot crab legs. Nice Italian meat options like prosciutto.

* Bellagio - while I haven't been in a while, as long as it hasn't deteriorated it should still have good food options. Not as expensive as Wynn & better food options, although the kids may not enjoy it as much.

* Rio Carnival World Buffet - while it's not as good as the others, it's a decent value-oriented buffet that will have plenty of options for kids. One thing I like is the Mongolian BBQ where you can pick your ingredients & have them stir-fry your stuff to order. They used to have crab legs & shrimp at a minimum for seafood at Wednesday dinner. You should still be able to get 1/2 off with local ID for the entire group, so it will only run $15/person for dinner. (Check in advance to be sure - at $30, I'd rather go to the seafood buffet, but at $15 it's a good value.) If you go, get the mango sorbet for dessert. Awesome.

* Rio Seafood Buffet - very distinct & different from the Carnival World Buffet, this one leans more towards seafood but still has plenty of other options for the kids. Their chicken is quite good & they usually have Prime Rib or roast beef along with a number of other ordinary dishes. Their sushi includes nigiri & sashimi & is usually quite fresh. Although I normally favor crab, they have baby lobster tails that are usually quite good along with larger shrimp cooked with the lobster that taste better than any others I've had. Generally I go for a couple varieties of mussels & some swordfish and/or salmon as well. The good news is it's discounted to $42 with players card & another 25% beyond that for up to 6 people with local ID (so $31.50/person).

If your Mom is open to it, I'd suggest the Seafood Buffet. It's easy to find if you park in the east garage, right inside that entrance to Masquerade Village downstairs from the Chippendales entrance & BK Burger Bar. I've taken a number of people for their first visit in the last few months & all absolutely raved at how much they enjoyed it. A couple were even long-term locals that didn't know about it because they confused it with the normal Carnival World Buffet - you have to look for the Seafood Buffet. It went through a period where it was just so-so, but it's awesome again & IMHO a great value for all those seafood options at $31.50/person (with players card & local ID).

Let us know which option you choose - hopefully you'll have good news about a great meal.
do they really have a great seafood selection? I love good seafood, like crab and Lobster, but if we are talking Salmon (a favorite) or other things like the small shrimp, I can get that anywhere.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,160,683 times
If the op is asking about the Wynn buffet, they're obviously not asking about the cheapest, or where to go to save a buck. Buffets are about control anyway - the days of pigging out or seeing how high you can stack are gone for the majority of people - back in the chuckwagon days where they wheel barreled you out of the eatery. The quality of food will be high, and the trick is to only get what you like.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Ok everyone, thanks for the advice. Sounds like I will be suggesting somewhere else to go for dinner.

I agree with the price, a little bit high!

I'll have to do some research and see what would be best, otherwise I may have them drive up to the NW part of the valley and go somewhere that we are used too.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post

Thank you for this list, I'll discuss it with my Mom and the Mrs and see what they want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas