Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 AM

508 posts, read 1,023,554 times

Advertisements

I dont really have a christmas story but i know a woman who is like a angel...

no matter the time or season she inspires me... and everyone around... she dedicates a lot of her time to all sorts of community events. preparing sandwiches for the homesless, collecting clothes for the shelters... you name it shes into it... her energy and kindness inspire me year round... I dont really do christmas (long story, just never had a good one i guess) but if a person was to believe there are angels on earth... i found one!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:30 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,020,813 times
My Christmas tradition?

Get the hell out of Dodge. Because of my job, and my wife's job, the ONE WEEK we are guaranteed to both be off is Christmas week. We always go SOMEWHERE. Just booked somewhere for Christmas this year. It's a particularly good somewhere.

Cue up Spinal Tap: "Stonehenge, where the demons dwell. Where the banshees live and they do live well."

Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,082,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Kwanza is simply a commercial holiday and I place NO Credibility in it

And Christmas as it is practiced these days DOES?

Christmas trees - Jeremiah 10 (You can Google this)

Old 09-14-2011, 12:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,080,507 times
Anyone who can write like that is a wonderful person. That means you, Buzz!

Don't know how I missed this back in 07 but thanks for a great contribution and I hope you write another one this year. Here's one I wrote back in 2009.

Thanksgiving Memories

Talk radio droned on in the kitchen before sunrise. The windows were so steamed up from cooking that drops of water would run down to the window sills. Laughing and talking, we washed dishes, cleaned up, and created our usual Thanksgiving feast. Grandma's stuffing, pumpkin pies, and always a turkey that was "too big". The whole house smelled like Thanksgiving.

One year, we set the oven on fire when we tried cooking that turkey in a paper bag. Dad lost both eyebrows carrying the flaming bird out to the back yard. After the flames were extinguished and the smoke cleared we put the turkey back in the oven. Disaster averted.

When I was very young, I was more trouble than help. But you cleaned up my mess and let me do what I could. A few years later, with typical teenage disdain, the whole thing was so far beneath me that I refused to participate. You did all the work yourself. At long enough last, I became human again and enjoyed learning everything you had to share. For years we were co-conspirators, planning and preparing Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and soon I will start shopping for a good turkey that's just a little "too big". The stuffing and the pies will be made. This is my first year to fly solo. No safety net. But I will miss you. I'll turn on talk radio in the kitchen and I'll be straining to hear your voice in the background. I'll remember to be thankful. Thankful for all the Thanksgivings we shared.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:51 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,907,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Several years ago I got tired of reading all the crying in your beer Christmas stories that people sent to me, so I decided to start writing my own. After that people started asking me for a new one every year. My friends are gluttons for punishment. I don't know if this year's story will fit on here but I'll try to post it. Meanwhile, why don't we all talk about our Christmas traditions...and don't be a Grinch, Mr. Scrooge. Don't use Christmas as a another excuse to trash Las Vegas. And if you don't celebrate Christmas but have a nice story to tell about some other religious holiday, or just one about someone's kindness, that's good too. Can we do it? Can we be nice?
Christmas in Las Vegas is different. We don't cry in our beer. We go out, drink our beer and have a damn hell of a time!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:32 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Anyone who can write like that is a wonderful person. That means you, Buzz!

Don't know how I missed this back in 07 but thanks for a great contribution and I hope you write another one this year. Here's one I wrote back in 2009.

Thanksgiving Memories

Talk radio droned on in the kitchen before sunrise. The windows were so steamed up from cooking that drops of water would run down to the window sills. Laughing and talking, we washed dishes, cleaned up, and created our usual Thanksgiving feast. Grandma's stuffing, pumpkin pies, and always a turkey that was "too big". The whole house smelled like Thanksgiving.

One year, we set the oven on fire when we tried cooking that turkey in a paper bag. Dad lost both eyebrows carrying the flaming bird out to the back yard. After the flames were extinguished and the smoke cleared we put the turkey back in the oven. Disaster averted.

When I was very young, I was more trouble than help. But you cleaned up my mess and let me do what I could. A few years later, with typical teenage disdain, the whole thing was so far beneath me that I refused to participate. You did all the work yourself. At long enough last, I became human again and enjoyed learning everything you had to share. For years we were co-conspirators, planning and preparing Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and soon I will start shopping for a good turkey that's just a little "too big". The stuffing and the pies will be made. This is my first year to fly solo. No safety net. But I will miss you. I'll turn on talk radio in the kitchen and I'll be straining to hear your voice in the background. I'll remember to be thankful. Thankful for all the Thanksgivings we shared.
All shucks Yeller. And I really enjoyed your Thanksgiving memories too. I loved Thanksgiving as a kid. My mom always had big ham with pineapple rings held down by cloves (she did the same thing with Spam). I was 13 or 14 before I ever tasted turkey, and I thought it must be very expensive because we never had it. Until I grew up I never knew that turkey was cheap and ham was expensive. I think she just didn't like turkey. I miss those hams, and her sweet potato surprise. Wish I'd paid attention and learned how to cook from her. You apparently did learn from your mom. Can I come over?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,580 times
what decarations do americans put on tree? im from australia but i am half american

Old 12-15-2011, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
I dont really have a christmas story but i know a woman who is like a angel...

no matter the time or season she inspires me... and everyone around... she dedicates a lot of her time to all sorts of community events. preparing sandwiches for the homesless, collecting clothes for the shelters... you name it shes into it... her energy and kindness inspire me year round... I dont really do christmas (long story, just never had a good one i guess) but if a person was to believe there are angels on earth... i found one!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
That Is Beatutiful i found a girl too her name is faith king she is like an angel too me to

Last edited by 12092000; 12-15-2011 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: something to say

Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12092000 View Post
what decarations do americans put on tree? im from australia but i am half american
There's a trend to have several Christmas trees throughout the house. Some are "themed", such as all one type of ornament or color. In New Mexico I threatened to have all chili lights and ornaments but never did. I've seen all Disney trees, all teddy bears, etc.

Most of us use a mishmash of ornaments we collect that usually have special meaning. For our first few Christmases together my wife and I used the giant cones from the Ponderosa Pines found at Lake Tahoe back when we lived in Reno and were pretty broke. We sprayed some of them with fake snow and added some ribbons. Still have some of them.

The more lights on a tree the better too. Electric bills go up significantly at Christmastime. Fake ice cycles, ribbons, tinsel, angels on top....my mom used to scratch up her hands putting angel hair (spun glass) around every light bulb on the tree. It was beautiful.

I'm noticing that there are fewer outside decorations on homes this year. Sometimes a whole neighborhood will go nuts and light up every house.

You gotta be on the lookout for flash mobs this time of year too. Happy Holidays | Carlson School of Management

Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 PM

For the first time in however many years I've been doing this, I can't think of a Christmas story. Anybody got any ideas? I can't send any cards until I write one and print it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas