Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,344,179 times

Advertisements

Last month, I started a thread titled "A Thanksgiving Story" regarding the homeless and hungry here in town. This is just a follow-up.

Last Friday, I made a delivery to Catholic Charities (LV Blvd and Foremaster). Yesterday while visiting clients, I saw several homeless and hungry people along various streets with one sleeping on a transformer box on Paradise. While I know that things are tough right now with the economy, I would ask that each of you take a minute and be thankful for having shelter from the cold. As such, if you have any extra food or blankets please put them to good use and donate them to a needy family.

May each of you and your families have a terrific holiday season.

Merry Christmas,
Golfinnova
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM

560 posts, read 2,188,996 times
Each year our family adopts another less fortunate family at Christmas time. This year, since we are blessed with something so many are not, job security, we decided to adopt two families. We explained to our children that this would mean less for them under the tree and they were more than willing to go without so that another family could have something.

As a family we have been through just about everything you could imagine, death of a child, molestation of a child, family members suicide, as well as unemployment. At this point in our lives we really feel blessed and even though we have been to hell and back, we ARE back and ready and able to help those who need it, especially at this time of year!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 09:51 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,851,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Last month, I started a thread titled "A Thanksgiving Story" regarding the homeless and hungry here in town. This is just a follow-up.

Last Friday, I made a delivery to Catholic Charities (LV Blvd and Foremaster). Yesterday while visiting clients, I saw several homeless and hungry people along various streets with one sleeping on a transformer box on Paradise. While I know that things are tough right now with the economy, I would ask that each of you take a minute and be thankful for having shelter from the cold. As such, if you have any extra food or blankets please put them to good use and donate them to a needy family.

May each of you and your families have a terrific holiday season.

Merry Christmas,
Golfinnova
Again, excellent post. I am thankful that there are still some folks with a sense of compassion and humility in this world. I tried to rep you but must spread it around first. May you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and may your family know nothing but good times and prosperity.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,851,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
Each year our family adopts another less fortunate family at Christmas time. This year, since we are blessed with something so many are not, job security, we decided to adopt two families. We explained to our children that this would mean less for them under the tree and they were more than willing to go without so that another family could have something.

As a family we have been through just about everything you could imagine, death of a child, molestation of a child, family members suicide, as well as unemployment. At this point in our lives we really feel blessed and even though we have been to hell and back, we ARE back and ready and able to help those who need it, especially at this time of year!!!
Kudos to you as well, and I am glad to hear that you have instilled similar values in your children. I also wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and I truly hope that your pain is behind you and the rest of your days easier.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,321,538 times
This is a wonderful post and I thank you for starting it. I also wanted to wish each and everyone of you a Merry Christmas, even though I'm not being politically correct and a very happy 2009. I feel I've come to know many of you through your posts and have to thank all of you for what I have learned about your wonderful city from you. This has to be the year I make it out there. My husband is a cancer survivor and now is down more than he is up and we have no family but it is still a magical time of year.
Judy

Old 12-24-2008, 02:57 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,344,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post

Oh man, as a parent that's the toughest thing Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:28 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,374,099 times
I couldn't rep either one of you until I spread some around (whatever that means), but the first two are great posts. These are all great posts. I guess I've had plenty of things in life to whine about, but they have been trumped by those things I'm grateful for. Every year on my wish list I ask my family to please give at least some of my presents to someone who needs them more than I do because I can and do empathize with them.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:08 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,260,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I couldn't rep either one of you until I spread some around (whatever that means), but the first two are great posts. These are all great posts. I guess I've had plenty of things in life to whine about, but they have been trumped by those things I'm grateful for. Every year on my wish list I ask my family to please give at least some of my presents to someone who needs them more than I do because I can and do empathize with them.
Basically, it means you have to rep 25 other people until you can rep the same person again.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
I'm thankful for all of you who do for others. I try to do the same thing myself.

May good things come to all of you!

And have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Christmas, Holiday Season.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:25 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,374,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Basically, it means you have to rep 25 other people until you can rep the same person again.
25????? I don't know 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas