Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:05 PM

200 posts, read 271,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And as much as I'd like to install it anyway, just to generate my own power, I cannot justify spending $25K just to be the greenest guy on my block. Eventually, costs will come down to the point where it will make sense.
There is a certain smugness you get from being green. I have it from 8 years of driving a Prius.

Which brings me to a little business idea I have. Fake Solar Panels. Our motto is "All the smugness at one tenth the cost!". The business would probably do better in L.A. than in Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:46 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,897,215 times
Quote:
... Eventually, costs will come down to the point where it will make sense.
What is your current guess for when it makes financial sense? 2020? 2025? 2030?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,897,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post
There is a certain smugness you get from being green. I have it from 8 years of driving a Prius...
Maybe you know the answer to this. I tried to find out from Toyota, but I didn't get anywhere.

Currently, when I park my 12 mgp SUV at Whole Foods, I'm surrounded by Priuses, all of which are identical with the same Obama '12 bumper sticker. I've thought about trading in the Excursion on a Prius, but I'm worried I wouldn't be able to find it in the parking lot.

So I had an idea. If I buy a Prius, I would put a Mitt '12 bumper sticker on it so that way I could find my Prius in the sea of Priuses with Obama bumper stickers in the Whole Foods parking lot.

So my question to Toyota was, "If I put an Republican bumper sticker on a new Prius, does it void the warranty?"

Old 05-08-2014, 01:01 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,017,091 times
Quote:
There is a certain smugness you get from being green. I have it from 8 years of driving a Prius.

Which brings me to a little business idea I have. Fake Solar Panels. Our motto is "All the smugness at one tenth the cost!". The business would probably do better in L.A. than in Vegas.
I completely agree. I also think it would probably actually work -- so long as it included a "for show" meter that spins backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What is your current guess for when it makes financial sense? 2020? 2025? 2030?
I'd guess around 2020. PV technology is leaping at the same pace that computers did during the 1980s. They should quadruple in efficiency and quarter in price over the next few years. I will very likely install them on my next house.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:45 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,873,659 times
Quote:

Old 05-08-2014, 06:24 AM

200 posts, read 271,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Maybe you know the answer to this. I tried to find out from Toyota, but I didn't get anywhere.

Currently, when I park my 12 mgp SUV at Whole Foods, I'm surrounded by Priuses, all of which are identical with the same Obama '12 bumper sticker. I've thought about trading in the Excursion on a Prius, but I'm worried I wouldn't be able to find it in the parking lot.

So I had an idea. If I buy a Prius, I would put a Mitt '12 bumper sticker on it so that way I could find my Prius in the sea of Priuses with Obama bumper stickers in the Whole Foods parking lot.

So my question to Toyota was, "If I put an Republican bumper sticker on a new Prius, does it void the warranty?"
If it is a Rand Paul sticker, it does not void the warranty, any other Republican voids it.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 AM

15,880 posts, read 14,526,814 times
PV technology has not demonstrated that level of improvement to date (nothing like Moore's Law.) I don't know why you think it will in the future. The mainstream stuff seems to be stuck at the 20-25% level, and not likely to get better. There is stuff that is 40%-ish efficient, but it's hideously expensive (It's what they use for satellites), and not looking like it's getting any cheaper.

Quote:
I'd guess around 2020. PV technology is leaping at the same pace that computers did during the 1980s. They should quadruple in efficiency and quarter in price over the next few years. I will very likely install them on my next house.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:41 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,560,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
PV technology has not demonstrated that level of improvement to date (nothing like Moore's Law.) I don't know why you think it will in the future. The mainstream stuff seems to be stuck at the 20-25% level, and not likely to get better. There is stuff that is 40%-ish efficient, but it's hideously expensive (It's what they use for satellites), and not looking like it's getting any cheaper.
It's efficiency may not be progressing but cost to produce should be getting cheaper.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,423,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
So a common figure I have seen around for PV panels in 2000 was 11% efficiency. So if according to your post we are now at 22.5% efficiency, that is an increase of over 100% in 14 years. Sure not Moore's law type numbers but I dont see why residential PV solar panel efficiency would not double again over the next 14 years as it has in the past 14. Probably faster IMO. And yes the price per KwH is WAY down from what it was in 2000 vs to today.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,017,091 times
And I've read stories about a next generation of PV that's up to 35%. It's not the speed of Moore's law... yet. I have a feeling that people realize on a gut level that this is something we should be focusing on.

The smug eco-warrior mindset isn't going to drive this technology forward. It's the "my meter spins backward" aspect that is going to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas