Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I thought it was known I did NOT choose Vegas because of the crappy job market

Once I started actively looking for job in my current city, I had daily interviews and 3 job offers in 10 days, all in my field and at the pay I needed.I am neither a techy nor do I work in construction.
And you moved to Las Vegas and started actively looking there and got no interviews or offers?

Again Las Vegas average salaries are higher and I do not believe there is any large difference in the unemployment rates if you avoid the soft sectors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:54 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJeff View Post
There's a few things I don't like about the area like the awful drivers and the abundance of trashy poorly educated people, but I think any populated area has a substantial number of those. Nevada may have a few more due to the awful education system, low cost of living, and relative lack of jobs that require education.
Statements like that are likely to get you digitally tarred and feathered around here.

Although, I characterize the average Las Vegas driver as merely "bad." If you want to see "awful," try Southern California or Miami. Southern California drivers are so bad, I simply will not drive there again. (Which means that they're orders of magnitude worse than Miami, because I merely dislike driving in Miami.) SoCal gets it's own special permanent personal boycott because they're a bunch of freakin' lunatics behind the wheel.

I don't mind driving in Las Vegas. It's not nearly as bad as Miami. Just wait for the three or four scofflaws to run the red light before venturing on a green. And try to avoid being in front of a tailgater (I have been rear-ended twice in seven years.)

As for the trashy, poorly-educated people -- that's the "serenity to accept the things I cannot change" department. It's never, ever going to get any better. Accept it or move.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:00 PM

165 posts, read 209,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Statements like that are likely to get you digitally tarred and feathered around here.

Although, I characterize the average Las Vegas driver as merely "bad." If you want to see "awful," try Southern California or Miami. Southern California drivers are so bad, I simply will not drive there again. (Which means that they're orders of magnitude worse than Miami, because I merely dislike driving in Miami.) SoCal gets it's own special permanent personal boycott because they're a bunch of freakin' lunatics behind the wheel.

I don't mind driving in Las Vegas. It's not nearly as bad as Miami. Just wait for the three or four scofflaws to run the red light before venturing on a green. And try to avoid being in front of a tailgater (I have been rear-ended twice in seven years.)

As for the trashy, poorly-educated people -- that's the "serenity to accept the things I cannot change" department. It's never, ever going to get any better. Accept it or move.
Oh I completely agree with you on FL drivers Scoop. I lived in Tampa/St Petersburg Florida for two years - those people are the worst drivers I have ever seen. LV drivers are very reckless and aggressive, but FL drivers are just plain bad. Being a MC rider I have learned to spot which cars are going to do something stupid with pretty high accuracy.

As far as the trashy people - yeah, you said it all. There were plenty of them in FL as well, and MN, and everywhere else I have been in the country. There's just a higher percentage of the population here I believe.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,678,568 times
The northeast is the nation's worst. Boston/New York. Nothing compares.

If you try to be nice to someone on the road, they look at you confused like why are you nice to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

Old 04-21-2014, 12:13 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post

If you try to be nice to someone on the road, they look at you confused like why are you nice to me?
I agree with you about New England drivers.. I think the driving here is a piece of cake. Just watch out for the idiot on the crotch rocket doing a buck 10 splitting lanes. And, of course, the "weavers" at 3:00a..

Old 04-21-2014, 12:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Boston and New York drivers are positively polite compared to Miami and Southern California. I have spent many years in that part of the world. There simply is no comparison.

They should put a sign up on I-15, just after Victorville which reads, "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here."

Boston (apart from the fact that every street is one-way, going in the opposite direction of where you're going) is orders of magnitude better than Las Vegas, which is orders of magnitude better than Miami, which is SEVERAL orders of magnitude better than SoCal.

America would be a better place if we took away every Southern Californian's driver's license and made them ride horses instead. Horses have more sense.

Quote:

Old 04-21-2014, 12:23 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
And you moved to Las Vegas and started actively looking there and got no interviews or offers?

Again Las Vegas average salaries are higher and I do not believe there is any large difference in the unemployment rates if you avoid the soft sectors.
No, but I watched job postings for Vegas for over a year on several sites. The pickins were slim to none. I opted to not take my chances and landed a job at a dream employer

It worked out for me and I am happy they are working out for the OP.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
No, but I watched job postings for Vegas for over a year on several sites. The pickins were slim to none. I opted to not take my chances and landed a job at a dream employer

It worked out for me and I am happy they are working out for the OP.
There is more to job search than scoping out jobs on multiple job sites.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I agree with you about New England drivers.. I think the driving here is a piece of cake. Just watch out for the idiot on the crotch rocket doing a buck 10 splitting lanes. And, of course, the "weavers" at 3:00a..
Thats the first time I heard a two wheel being called a crotch rocket! I'm bawling like a hyena!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:18 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
There is more to job search than scoping out jobs on multiple job sites.
Of course there is. But after more than a year of daily searches and coming up with nothing? Not worth the risk.

Those job searches are useful. I think that every job I have had in the last decade have come from such searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas