Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,449 times

Advertisements

That is a very interesting idea! Let us know how it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,812,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGa View Post
Thanks all for the input. The Mojave Green Rattlesnake certainly seems worth worrying about. I may make a perimeter glass wall, then if they breach that then theyre welcome to me.

Just don't throw any stones in my direction ok?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:30 PM

10 posts, read 21,516 times
Exclamation A dangerous adventure you're thinking about there

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGa View Post
Hi,

I dream of getting a place in Vegas, and sleeping in the backyard..... Lets say I sleep on a bed with a base of glass so crawlies cant climb on me, and a mosquito net to be 100%, then I should have no worries right?
I want to point out that the Las Vegas area is most definitely a desert, the temperature extremes here even at night are not safe for one who wants to sleep out under the stars for most of the year. And because of the ambient light dome.. you really won't see much stars within 10+ miles of city limits at night.
So if you want that experience, you'd have to live maybe 20 to 30 miles out I would think. The other thing is we do have wild foxes, rabbits, and sometimes out in the mountains, sheep/goat/bobcats... but within the city areas there's really not much to worry about except insects and a rabid animal (including bats if you see them during the day on the ground). We have scorpions and these really nasty scorpion/spider hybrid things called solifuges (like camel spiders). Those bastards when they get big will chase you sometimes. We also have wolf spiders which are kinda cool but we also have plenty of black widows and deadly brown recluses which do bite people here in Las Vegas.. not many cases a year (I would guess) but they still happen. Many people here including myself at times also mistake crane flys (mosquito hawks) for mosquitos.. but every spring it can become a serious issue (the mosquitoes) around the wetlands in henderson and also around the man-made lakes in summerlin. If you get an open yard another concern would be stray dogs and vagrants. If you do want to buy property out here and sleep under the stars... make sure your backyard is secure and that you protect yourself.... including from the occasional violent wind and sudden temperature changes.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,611,052 times
I would think ants would be the worst problem. They won't be bothered by the glass jars at all!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:44 AM

15 posts, read 17,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xafpilot View Post
Would not make more sense to just sleep with the patio doors open at night?
I can crank the central heating up and just stay where I am. Im afraid that is not enough. I smell so bad that its a medical condition. My smell quickly clings to home fittings, so no matter how much I wash, I continue to smell for I live in a smelly environment. I mean theres nothing wrong with me besides this bad smell that I cant get rid of. Despite washing 10x as much as a normal person, eating the perfect diet, and doing all the right things lol, the simplest solution is just to live outside.

I was trying to keep this topic impersonal, as I smell so bad I am a little vulnerable, and easily recognised. Now I have received an unexpected chance at a longterm Mediterranean excursion beginning late this year, so it seems Vegas is off the cards. Vegas would still be my #1 location, Im eager to get started, if anyone wants a garden sitter I do have a little security experience and good references lol, but if I was you I wouldn't even trust me.

So again thx everyone, and for what its worth rep all round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Just don't throw any stones in my direction ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas