Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,120,527 times

Advertisements

Back in the Bay Area, I stopped at Home Town Buffet for meal, some 4 years ago. Although it was inexpensive, the food offered was not very good nor healthy. Perhaps, HTB has changed since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 01:08 PM

743 posts, read 969,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
goyemon... come on now!

It's Kabuto or nothing... and I'm japanese.
I've been wanting to try Kabuto for a while, some really amazing reviews...price is $$$$$ though. Will have to find an occasion.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
That's close to my place down there. I'll give it a try next time I'm down there.

I don't think you would disappointed if you try Sumo.

Have you been there recently? I checked the yelp reviews...the most recent reviews from some sumo sushi loyalists said the place went downhill. I'll check it out sometime soon because it's not too far.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,841,956 times
I haven't been since August. It was good then. The place you recommended is closer so I'll give it a try.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:50 PM

they also have $1/$2 small/large saki =)

Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,543,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
I've been wanting to try Kabuto for a while, some really amazing reviews...price is $$$$$ though. Will have to find an occasion.

yeah, any really sophisticated sushi fan will absolutely go bonkers over it. it's like and a America's version of Juno Sushi.

I went with three other poker players and for the four of us it was over $800 and the comped us many of the pieces we had ordered because I think they like us.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
yeah, any really sophisticated sushi fan will absolutely go bonkers over it. it's like and a America's version of Juno Sushi.

I went with three other poker players and for the four of us it was over $800 and the comped us many of the pieces we had ordered because I think they like us.
Hey, I need to go with you then...

I've only done high class sushi ($100+ /head) a couple times...once in San Francisco and once in Rio De Janiero...I walked out hungry both times...but it was fantastic quality...my body is just used to eating til it's full.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:23 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,018,430 times
1) I'm really quite sad to hear that Sterling Brunch is finally gone. I knew they were on their way out for months now -- they never did make any money pouring good champagne for $90 per person; and I could get my money's worth in oysters, tuna and gulf shrimp in about 45 minutes.

I always had a great time there, and while I wish I had gone one last time this year, I suppose it's for the best because of the amount of people who said it was going downhill fast.

2) Kabuto is right now high on my list, with an asterisk. The asterisk is because I cannot eat raw seafood for awhile. As soon as I can, I'm there. No doubt. A sushi restaurant that won't do box sushi and California rolls because they aren't traditional? That's EXACTLY the sort of place that I like. Personally, I would love to see someone get 86'd because they DEMAND a California roll:

Guest: "You will give me a California roll RIGHT NOW. That's the only sushi I eat. So make it snappy!"

Chef: "くたばれ, ツーリスト"

Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 AM

Sounds like my friends the first time I try to get them hooked on sushi. California and Philly cream cheese rolls and anything with shrimp.

I still can't do Uni...tried it twice...just not my thing.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
1) I'm really quite sad to hear that Sterling Brunch is finally gone.
Was there a few weeks back...here's my yelp review to catch you up...fair and balanced, just like Fox News.

Yes, it is the best buffet in Las Vegas, but having been here 7-8 times I can only compare it now to how it used to be a few years ago.

Besides the champagne, you come for the desserts, the seafood and the meat, pretty much...the first 5 times I came here, each of those categories would be 5 stars.

I came a year ago and they were out of salmon sashimi, the lobsters were overcooked, ultra small (think Rio Seafood buffet) and the meat was excellent.

I came here this weekend...the lobsters were fine this time around, big ol' plump tails, sashimi was great but the filet mignon, the rack of lamb and the prime rib...all overcooked and of a slightly lesser quality than what they've had in the past. The rack of lamb is my favorite meat and it was bland and overcooked, not the tasty, tender red meat with the rosemary I was used to. In fact, Bachannal buffet at Caesar's puts out a better lamb on their buffet. Was a bit disappointed...and the prime rib wasn't top notch like years past.

The desserts have been a continual slide, though still "ok"...I'll mention though, back in the day 1/3 of the dessert bar didn't consist of cupcakes.

Still a great time, still a great Sunday brunch but the stars just haven't totally aligned the last couple of visits.

Service is always top notch, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas