Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 AM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,705 posts, read 14,148,419 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance; I did a forum search and didn't feel like spending too much time looking for answers.

I'm originally from Michigan, but I've been living in Phoenix for about ten years.

And I've never been to Vegas......

My wife and I have decided to celebrate my 50th birthday in Sin City; looking at a 3 or 4 night stay.

Our trip will be in May 2014, and we'll be making the drive. Leaving on a Friday or Saturday and coming back home midweek.

I've heard that for first time visitors, it's pretty much "a must" to stay on the Strip. We're not much into gambling, but I imagine that we'll play some slots just for fun. We like to go out for drinks, smoke while we're drinking, and would like to stay someplace nice that's easy to get around from. I.e., we don't drink & drive.

I'm looking for the "must see" attractions, the "must eat at" restaurants, and the "must go to " bars.

And of course, hotels that would be fun to stay at.

And I wouldn't mind checking out that pawn shop that's on the TV.

Thanks, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,446,643 times
What is your budget for bars and restaurants?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,361,250 times
I personally would not waste my time at the Pawn Stars shop, especially on a first time visit. The line is SO LONG. Do you want to waste a couple of hours standing in it? Drive by and take a picture of the outside, sure, but with SO MUCH else to do in Vegas I wouldn't wait to get inside.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
What is your budget for bars and restaurants?
Not overly concerned with costs for dining/drinking; we typically spend ~ $100 + around here for a nice dinner for two. I realize that bar prices can be extravagant. It's a mini-vacation so we're not too concerned about our bank account or counting calories.

Of course, we won't be spending too much time in our hotel. Just want someplace clean, reasonably priced, safe, on the strip, with a coffee maker & a small fridge in the room.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I personally would not waste my time at the Pawn Stars shop, especially on a first time visit. The line is SO LONG. Do you want to waste a couple of hours standing in it? Drive by and take a picture of the outside, sure, but with SO MUCH else to do in Vegas I wouldn't wait to get inside.

Bummer. A two hour wait is out of the question, especially to see something that I can watch on the TV just about any day.

We'll do a drive by......or possibly walk?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Bummer. A two hour wait is out of the question, especially to see something that I can watch on the TV just about any day.

It is fairly close to the strip, but still a long walk. I'd recommend driving.

Anywhere on the strip to stay is going to be fine, it would depend on where you prefer to be, north south or central...and your budget.

Also take a drive to Fremont Street.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:09 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,333,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

One other thing regarding the pawn shop. I went only once thinking I would see the crew working. They are not there other than to film the show in which they close it to the public. As others have said, do not waste your time. One thing I would make sure to do is go up to the Stratosphere tower. There is a nice bar in there and the view is awesome.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:12 AM

You can usually request a small refrigerator but most of the strip hotels do not give you a coffee maker in a standard room. For bars you should go to the Eiffel Tower bar at Paris and have a drink. It has a great view. We like the Petrossian bar at the Bellagio. It's a good place to relax and have a good cocktail or glass of wine. They offer high tea and caviar as well if that is to your liking. If you like steak, Craftsteak at the MGM Grand is excellent but it will set you back a bit. The Cafe Bellagio is a great place for casual dining and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It doesn't look like your typical coffee shop. We've eaten there for all 3 meals at various times and the food was always good. If you like a more lively atmosphere for drinks you should go to the Carnival Court at Harrah's for a drink and live music. If you want a centrally located hotel that is reasonable, check out the room prices at The Quad.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 AM

Scratch my recommendation for The Quad. I just read some of the reviews and it doesn't seem that most consider it a clean hotel.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Scratch my recommendation for The Quad. I just read some of the reviews and it doesn't seem that most consider it a clean hotel.
I stayed there when it was IP and it was fine.I don't listen to most reviews for hotels. People acted like IP was the seventh level of hell and we were quite happy there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas