Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I stayed there when it was IP and it was fine.I don't listen to most reviews for hotels. People acted like IP was the seventh level of hell and we were quite happy there!
That's good to know. We never stayed there but have known others who did and thought it was good value due to its central location on the Strip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 AM

2,119 posts, read 1,789,073 times
I would recommend the Monte Carlo, I've stayed there on 2 of my last 3 trips. The location is pretty good, you are within an easy walking distance to several other strip hotels (Aria, MGM, NYNY) and there is a tram that will take you between Mandalay Bay and the Bellagio. They also have a good pool area with a wave pool and lazy river. They also have coffee makers in the room and you can ask for a fridge for the room, I believe they charge a fee for the fridge but if you need it for medical reasons they may waive the fee.

Last edited by shellymdnv; 01-19-2014 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: forgot about the coffee maker

Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
That's good to know. We never stayed there but have known others who did and thought it was good value due to its central location on the Strip.
The room was very basic, but clean. The location could not be beat, and the price was right of course!

I want to stay at Caesars. That is amazing pool! (also great location)

Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,858 times
Quote:
I stayed there when it was IP and it was fine.I don't listen to most reviews for hotels. People acted like IP was the seventh level of hell and we were quite happy there!
IP was the 7th level of Hell..

We had our room broken into by the staff when we stayed there.. This happened roughly 3 hours after we checked in.... We left shortly after that...

And their customer service skills needed some vast improvement as they couldn't have cared less what happened... Even tried to charge me for phone calls that THEIR security officer made while investigating.....

What a POS that place was and or still is... no matter what the name....

Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
IP was the 7th level of Hell..

We had our room broken into by the staff when we stayed there.. This happened roughly 3 hours after we checked in.... We left shortly after that...

And their customer service skills needed some vast improvement as they couldn't have cared less what happened... Even tried to charge me for phone calls that THEIR security officer made while investigating.....

What a POS that place was and or still is... no matter what the name....
I spent 5 nights there on my first trip to Vegas. When we got to our room, the TV didn't work. They moved us immediately. We had a first floor room in the Capri towers (OLD part) that was super easy to get to. The room was clean, beds comfy. Every single person I talked to at the hotel was helpful and pleasant. We enjoyed the pool and the perfect location right in the heart of the strip. It was very no frills, but we weren't in our room much anyway. Anything we needed was taken care of without issue. I have zero complaints and I would stay there tomorrow if I was headed to Vegas.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,048 times
Because you will have your own car, you are left with many options. Southern part of the Strip is not as concentrated with expensive hotels, mid part of the Strip from Flamingo up to just past Spring Mountain is where all the extremely nice hotels are (Treasure Island, Mirage, Wynn, Venetian, Palazzo, Encore) and going further north, the action decreases along with the properties.

There are many trendy and pricey restaurants among these places. Currently Nobu in Ceasars is very popular, Buchon in Venetian and the steakhouses (one previously mentioned) My daughter and her husband insist of patronizing them when here and think nothing of spending $300-400 a night for dinner and drinks??? We do not do them so cannot comment.

You will be in town at a great time of year so staying on the Strip so you can walk around is good. Remember distances are much further then they look. Everyone should visit Bellagio, see the glass ceiling and have a drink in the open bar near the lobby, check out the Conservatory and watch the water show. Same for the volcanos that go off at Mirage. There is also a wonderful Mall, Fashion Show Mall, on the corner of Spring Mountain. Looking for Asian, most of the street of Spring Mountain is a little china town. Down at the far north end of the Strip is Stratosphere, with wonderful views and a very nice restaurant on the top floor.

If you have time, get off the Strip. For sure, take a drive out to Red Rock, possibly Mt. Charleston, maybe even Lake Mead. I would not waste my time on the Pawn Shop. Somewhat dicey part of town with a long line waiting to get in. Downtown, which is Fremont Street, might also be worth a look.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:31 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
I personally would not waste my time at the Pawn Stars shop, especially on a first time visit. The line is SO LONG. Do you want to waste a couple of hours standing in it? Drive by and take a picture of the outside, sure, but with SO MUCH else to do in Vegas I wouldn't wait to get inside.
Then you made a classic tourist mistake. As any local should be able to tell you, the key is to go on a weekday morning. If you show up at say 9:00am on a Tuesday or Wednesday, you'll walk right in.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Then you made a classic tourist mistake. As any local should be able to tell you, the key is to go on a weekday morning. If you show up at say 9:00am on a Tuesday or Wednesday, you'll walk right in.

Oh, I never tried to go, I wouldn't want to. I have seen the show but don't care about it. I was just judging by all the times I have driven by and seen that line way out the building. No matter when I went by it seemed to be long.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
OP, you may want to stay half of your visit downtown as opposed to the strip. It's got a couple things going for it. walkability and affordability. Different scene than the strip, but lots of people prefer it.

Of course you'll want to see the strip as well. The Bellagio fountains are a must-see, as is their conservatory. My favorite resort is the Mandalay Bay. The pool is awesome, and there's usually a good concert playing on any given week during summer. Strip Steak is also at Mandalay Bay, which is widely considered to be one of the best restaurants in Vegas.

Another personal fave is the NYNY. I love the dueling piano bar and their Irish pub (Nine Fine Irishmen)

Hope you have a great time.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
definitely agree..
i've been to the Pawn Shop, Counts Kustoms, and Rick's Restoration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas