Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:38 AM

12 posts, read 61,695 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Vegas in February and went to the Web site www.meetup.com to join different groups that interest me. I use it here in VA and it's a great way to meet people who have the same interests as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 04:57 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,669,345 times
Maybe he's originally from SoCal.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Maybe he's originally from SoCal.
Actually the part of So Cal I came from only "borrowed" part of its water.

There is no place near enough fresh water available along the California coast to support the population there. So all import water. And the water was acquired by means both fair and foul...by todays standards mostly foul.

With the exception of a few places where environmental concerns have reversed the acquisition most places continue to use that water.

There are many places along the CA coast where development is effectively banned by the lack of a water source. Further wells would drain the aquifer allowing sea water to intrude.

I came here from a small city in OC that got the vast majority of its water by pumping the local aquifer. That however was augmented with Colorado River water including pumping such water into the ground when an excess was available. That area is now going into sewage recovery and piping that into the ground as well.

Californians may of course deny personal responsibility...but they are, at the least, receivers of stolen water....

Note that such thievery is enscribed in various laws. Why would California growers have a higher right to water from the Colorado River than the citizens of Las Vegas? Why because they were there first of course. Now is that not totally sensible? Why would need or efficient use enter the calculation? Nope...the CA farmer can grow cotton with water that could fully support all the needs of the cities of the SW. And the farmers cannot sell the water even if that is the most rational course.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:24 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,298,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Californians may of course deny personal responsibility...but they are, at the least, receivers of stolen water....

Maybe there should be something in their water bills to tell them that even though they have to pay their bill, they are still receiving stolen water and will be arrested by the water police.
It's stupid any way you look at it.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:32 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,515,394 times
From now on, i'll only drink bottled water. I'll also be more then happy to send you all my used water from the shower and toilet.

Quote:

Old 12-25-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
From now on, i'll only drink bottled water. I'll also be more then happy to send you all my used water from the shower and toilet.
Actually you do now if you live in Las Vegas. We inject the treated sewage up river from where we take the drinking water...

Did you really want to know that?

We drink well water...which in general has been in the ground something over 10,000 years...The pee may still be there...but it is at least properly aged.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:27 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,535 times
Quote:
We drink well water...which in general has been in the ground something over 10,000 years...

The water you pump next year may have been there 11,000 years, etc. Get my drift?

Old 12-25-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
The water you pump next year may have been there 11,000 years, etc. Get my drift?
Nope. Well levels in Las Vegas Valley have risen for the last ten years. May change...but not next year.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:59 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,535 times
Quote:
Nope. Well levels in Las Vegas Valley have risen for the last ten years. May change...but not next year.

Depends on which wells you're talking. LVVWD is artificially recharging the valley aquifer with Lake Mead water. Nasty subsidence trend was well underway in two hotspots in the valley.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Depends on which wells you're talking. LVVWD is artificially recharging the valley aquifer with Lake Mead water. Nasty subsidence trend was well underway in two hotspots in the valley.
"Recharge" nowadays is mostly a book keeping event. They don't pump what they are allowed and then claim it as recharge. What recharge they do is local to an area which is generally pumped out the following summer. Does not spread more than a few hundred yards from the recharge well. This was worked reasonably hard when the percholorate worries were high.

Subsidence has stopped for the last few years. Note though that if SNWA ever starts to pump their "reserves" in a big way it will resume. There are some interesting pictures around from the spring preserves area showing a subsidence of ten feet or more.

One of the heavy subsidence spots is Ann and 95. Be really intersting to see the Great Mall of Las Vergas sink would it not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas