Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 02:00 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,136,470 times

Advertisements

Try using a portable swamp cooler in your bedroom. Saves money on the electric bills in summer and provides some humidity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 02:12 PM

399 posts, read 548,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWNLV View Post
don't shower every day
Why? Because it dries your skin?

Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 AM

4 posts, read 9,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Do like I did, install a whole house humidifier and be done with it. Seems like every home back east has them but out here where it's so darned dry, no one installs them.
How does that work together with AC? AC dries air out. Does still humidifier help?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 AM

421 posts, read 899,127 times
First, you can shower every day but avoid really hot water as it makes the condition worse. The best thing I have found for my skin during these months (an inexpensive too) is Avon "Moisture Therapy" (in the tube). Even my hubby keeps a tube of it nearby. And no, I don't sell Avon but you can order it online.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,306,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
I am in the same boat... I used to never have issues with the skin on my feet... now they are all cracked and bleeding at times.

it might have more to do with the water than the humidity.
Put lotion on your feet and then cotton socks. I swear by Eucerin Calming Creme.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:30 PM

687 posts, read 4,406,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by well12 View Post
How does that work together with AC? AC dries air out. Does still humidifier help?
It only runs in heat mode. You would be surprised that when running the a/c, the humidity doesnt get that low. When we run our a/c, the humidity never drops below 35% but it feels dry. 35% in the winter is about what I keep the humidifier set for, anything less and the static shock and dry skin moves in.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:05 AM

4 posts, read 9,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
It only runs in heat mode. You would be surprised that when running the a/c, the humidity doesnt get that low. When we run our a/c, the humidity never drops below 35% but it feels dry. 35% in the winter is about what I keep the humidifier set for, anything less and the static shock and dry skin moves in.
In San Fernando Valley, California, it's hot and dry from May till November, you cannot survive without AC. Need to increase humidity in the house as it feels extremely dry.

Did you measure humidity with an independent device? If it still feels dry, maybe humidifier only shows humidity level it suppose to make but not the real one in the house?

Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 AM

687 posts, read 4,406,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by well12 View Post
In San Fernando Valley, California, it's hot and dry from May till November, you cannot survive without AC. Need to increase humidity in the house as it feels extremely dry.

Did you measure humidity with an independent device? If it still feels dry, maybe humidifier only shows humidity level it suppose to make but not the real one in the house?
We have a Honeywell vision pro thermostat that shows humidity level and also controls the humidifier in the winter.

I guess I should rephrase my comment about the summer humidity level. When I say 35% feels dry, I dont mean that in an uncomfortable way, its perfect for us.

Because most houses tend to get oversized a/c that cycles too frequently, I've seen some houses register in the high 40% range and up during the humid monsoon season and that can start to make you feel a little sticky.

I remember years ago, we all used to use swamp coolers in the San Fernando valley but as time went on, most were replaced with air conditioners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas