Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM

176 posts, read 265,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Out of curiosity, in what neighborhood are you?
I'm in Summerlin South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:29 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,175,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
If I found 80 scorpions during any period of time I would move.
Me, too!

Some people have had success using diatomaceous earth to set up a perimeter around their living spaces.
Mercifully, I've never had one in any of my houses. I saw a vinegaroon (harmless, but looks like a scorpion) in the backyard at my moms place once though, and that scared me enough.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:41 PM

156 posts, read 405,813 times
For an adult, it stings and then the area is numb for a couple of days and then you have a day of that 'pins & needles' feeling while the numbness wears off.

Luckily they glow under a black light - if you're worried, just grab a UV flashlight and just check things out before you go to bed. My kids love taking the scorpion flash light into the yard at night for seek and destroy missions.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:49 PM

687 posts, read 4,410,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
If I found 80 scorpions during any period of time I would move.
Right? A little hard to move though, when you own the house and paid double of what it's worth now.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,855,778 times
I would observe you can beat the scorpion population into reasonable levels if you work at it. They are reasonably long lived and reproduce slowly. So if you whack the population hard for a while they go away.

Bug Bully and others can provide some help but the best way is still to reduce the colonly as far as possible with a black light and brute force.

They are local. A few houses. I know a half dozen places where colonies exist and none are more than a 100 yards.

One really good thing is to get rid of potential hiding places. no junk sitting around. No lumber piles or such.

Remeber Phoenix survives. And they are infested with the little dears.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,536,502 times
Holy cow. Scratch ever moving to the desert off my list!

Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 AM

15 posts, read 44,647 times
Interesting thread. Having never lived in the South West, I hadn't thought too much about the types of pests that I'll be dealing with. This raises two questions I'd love some input on:

1. Is there anything one can do when choosing a place to live to identify the likelihood of having such an issue with scorpions (or any other pests)?
2. I have a house cat. Are these things dangerous for her, and are there things I can do to remove the risks that scorpions or whatever pose to her?

Really appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.

PatsFan

Old 10-29-2013, 04:57 AM

Patsfan, I've heard that they are more common in areas with lots of palm trees (often imported from AZ). Bug Bully also told me that people who live close to nurseries that have decorative rock for sale have reported seeing scorpions.

I have no idea if they would be dangerous for a kitty, but I'm guessing a kitty would pose more of a danger to the scorpion than vice versa. I've lived here a long time and never heard of anyone having a pet harmed by a scorpion.

The pests you are most likely to encounter are the summertime field roaches and the black widows that come to eat them. They all die off when the weather cools down. We also get crickets, and lately I've seen a lot of wasps, but that may be an isolated thing.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:35 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,811,603 times
Patsfan.. NO mosquitos! In fact, flying pests are virtually nonexistent compared to back east. We have the occasional housefly, honey bee, and when it's hot, a little cluster of gnats over the grass in our backyard, but it is SO nice being able to sit out at night on the patio and not worry about citronella candles and bug spray!

We've only been here a few months, but haven't seen creepy crawlies either. Hoping that trend continues

Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Patsfan.. NO mosquitos! In fact, flying pests are virtually nonexistent compared to back east. We have the occasional housefly, honey bee, and when it's hot, a little cluster of gnats over the grass in our backyard, but it is SO nice being able to sit out at night on the patio and not worry about citronella candles and bug spray!

We've only been here a few months, but haven't seen creepy crawlies either. Hoping that trend continues
We DO have mosquitos. Not like they have back east, but I have pictures of my legs covered in bites from sitting out in the backyard in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas