Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:07 AM

306 posts, read 434,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Check your lease to see if there is a "no smoking inside the apt" clause in your lease. If so, work on the manager to enforce that provision regarding your neighbor's apt. Also see if you signed an addendum called "Lease Addendum for Drug Free Housing". I suspect he is too lazy to get the Medical Marijuana card and thus he would be in violation if there is this clause.

Onlyliveonce is correct in that it is best to handle this in a non adversarial manner if possible asking, instead of demanding. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like that is getting through so you will need to go to the next level.
NRS 118A.290 Habitability of dwelling unit.
NRS 118A.350 Failure of landlord to comply with rental agreement.
NRS 118A.355 Failure of landlord to maintain dwelling unit in habitable condition.

NRS: CHAPTER 118A - LANDLORD AND TENANT: DWELLINGS

Untitled
Thank you for the links. I don't think it will turn into some full out war, but I'm definitely going to get some kind of resolution. It is my job to make sure my child and pet are safe and I intend to do just that.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:08 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,592,439 times
Even if he has a medical marijuana card that wouldn't allow him to smoke inside the unit itself if you have a no smoking clause.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Even if he has a medical marijuana card that wouldn't allow him to smoke inside the unit itself if you have a no smoking clause.

When you refer to a no smoking clause, do you mean illegal drugs, because cigarettes are allowed?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 AM

I mean no smoking inside the apt clause. That would cover marijuana too with or without a medical card. This clause is for fire safety as many apt/house fires are caused by smoking on the couch, bed ect thus the no smoking clause.

If this gets nasty you might find out who the apt's insurance carrier is and let them know that the manager/landlord is allowing prohibited activities that puts the property at risk. Granted that is a drastic step but one you could attempt as a last resort.

Mere moving to another apt isn't really the answer as you might be back to square one with a different tenant or one that moves in later. You might see if they would allow you to terminate the lease without penalties and when you get a new place be sure to write something in the contract about this.

I highly doubt they allow smoking inside the apt.

Last edited by Packrat1; 10-26-2013 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 10-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I mean no smoking inside the apt clause. That would cover marijuana too with or without a medical card. This clause is for fire safety as many apt/house fires are caused by smoking on the couch, bed ect thus the no smoking clause.

If this gets nasty you might find out who the apt's insurance carrier is and let them know that the manager/landlord is allowing prohibited activities that puts the property at risk. Granted that is a drastic step but one you could attempt as a last resort.

Mere moving to another apt isn't really the answer as you might be back to square one with a different tenant or one that moves in later. You might see if they would allow you to terminate the lease without penalties and when you get a new place be sure to write something in the contract about this.
Ahh, I see. I don't think the lease has this clause as they have tenants who smoke cigarettes. I did read the link and found a few instances where this applies to me. I agree that moving won't solve the problem if I end up with the same issue, different tenant. At this point, I think I would like to terminate because I don't want to live in a hostile environment either. This guy works for the complex and lives next to me, so me ratting him out about illegal activities could cost him his job. I don't feel bad about that, per se, because he should know not to smoke drugs in the very place he works. Thanks for your advice. I will let you all know what comes of the meeting in half an hour.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:31 AM

Here are a couple of links regarding non smoking in apts. The second one is a link to smoke free housing in clark county.

Smoke-free Apartments & Condos: Tenants - Southern Nevada Health District

Smoke-free Housing Directory - Southern Nevada Health District

Old 10-26-2013, 09:39 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,160,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalik View Post
What would you do?
not being a 911 situation in the least, i would have called 311. described the situation and see of they send someone out. since this involved my family, i would escalate this until the problem was solved. if no cop came out, it's on the record, since i would also have talked to this guy. i realize some would react differently. escalate until you take care of this.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,573,048 times
Seems like this thread is taking place over one night. You have to give it some time after seriously talking to the manager and documenting what's to be done.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:23 AM

164 posts, read 260,819 times
Vomiting and stomach pain is not from second hand pot smoke. Could be a carbon monoxide leak. Best bet is to just move. Vents work both ways. Get a hotel room for the weekend then spill an entire bottle of roundup from home depot into the vents and seal it off at your end.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:09 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,830,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boboluv View Post
Vomiting and stomach pain is not from second hand pot smoke. Could be a carbon monoxide leak. Best bet is to just move. Vents work both ways. Get a hotel room for the weekend then spill an entire bottle of roundup from home depot into the vents and seal it off at your end.
Could be but why symptoms only when they smell pot?

Definitely need to get apartment mgmt involved and if no resolution then the Health department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas