Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:12 PM

57 posts, read 127,483 times

Advertisements

Back in the 80's, I bought a Ruger Blackhawk .38/.357 and it had a spare 9mm cylinder. I had to sell the Ruger due to divorce but could not find the 9mm cylinder so just sold the gun. Moving out here I found the cylinder and need it machined to fit the used Ruger Blackhawk I bought a couple of years ago.

The second gun I need worked on is an original 1874 Remington Rolling Block action that I picked up at a yard sale really cheap. I want to get the action re-barreled in .50-90 and an round ejector milled (instead of the bar ejector that it originally had). I had talked to a guy in Texas who said he could build me a rifle for about $2K but that seems a bit much, although the guy does great work. I will make a stock for the rifle so that is no problem. I would prefer someone local instead of Texas, where it seems most suggest I go to for work

The 3rd gun is a Navy Arms Henry rifle in .44-40. I need a new ladder rear sight installed. The one that came with the rifle is pretty lame and keeps falling down.

So I need to find a gunsmith who does machinist work on guns. Does any one have any idea who I could go to that is reputable and does good work at a reasonable price?

Last edited by Gomezy3k; 09-18-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 07:31 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,102,926 times
Call CCS Gunsmithing. They're either on Decatur or Rainbow, just north of Sahara. I don't know if they do any machining, though.

You could also ask on nevadashooters - there's a gunsmithing section there and they have a number of smiths active on the site.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

You could also ask on nevadashooters .
That's what I PM'd to him earlier.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:08 PM

57 posts, read 127,483 times
Thanks... I am in the process of joining the Nevada shooters... thanks for the info, I didn't know they existed...

Old 09-19-2013, 07:59 PM

15,829 posts, read 14,469,933 times
A related question. Who's a good FFL to use for online purchases / transfers? A lot of gun stores don't like doing this, because they want to sell you the gun. Do smiths usually have FFLs? Will they do this? What do they charge.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,061 times
Depends on what side of town you're on. I've only had transfers done at two places locally- Davidsons in henderson and Ventura Munitions. Ventura is $25.00 and Davidsons was $20, both are no hassle and up to 3 guns for the fee.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,102,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
A related question. Who's a good FFL to use for online purchases / transfers? A lot of gun stores don't like doing this, because they want to sell you the gun. Do smiths usually have FFLs? Will they do this? What do they charge.
I don't buy online a lot, but I've used Bargain Pawn and Guns and Ammo Garage. GAG was very easy to work with. I've tried to use Discount, but their process is a major pain in the ass - I doubt that many people use them when there are so many other options.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:06 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,140,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I like to use NFA aka New Frontier Armory.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:13 AM

457 posts, read 660,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomezy3k View Post
Back in the 80's, I bought a Ruger Blackhawk .38/.357 and it had a spare 9mm cylinder. I had to sell the Ruger due to divorce but could not find the 9mm cylinder so just sold the gun. Moving out here I found the cylinder and need it machined to fit the used Ruger Blackhawk I bought a couple of years ago.

The second gun I need worked on is an original 1874 Remington Rolling Block action that I picked up at a yard sale really cheap. I want to get the action re-barreled in .50-90 and an round ejector milled (instead of the bar ejector that it originally had). I had talked to a guy in Texas who said he could build me a rifle for about $2K but that seems a bit much, although the guy does great work. I will make a stock for the rifle so that is no problem. I would prefer someone local instead of Texas, where it seems most suggest I go to for work

The 3rd gun is a Navy Arms Henry rifle in .44-40. I need a new ladder rear sight installed. The one that came with the rifle is pretty lame and keeps falling down.

So I need to find a gunsmith who does machinist work on guns. Does any one have any idea who I could go to that is reputable and does good work at a reasonable price?
Good and reasonable? No such thing! There are a few "gunsmiths" advertising in LV, but I'd not
take anything to any of them! "Gun-hacks" would be a better term for those. The only good
gunsmith in LV does not take in any new business, only repeat customers, and delivery times
are reasonable, once he gets the piece. There is an average 6 month wait just to schedule the
work! Therefore, it would be pointless to mention him. (Here's a hint, he works on LVMP class 3
pieces the department armorer screws up)!

Your best bet would be to return the items to the manufacturer, for current/recent production
models. Antiques to restorers. (the 2K estimate isn't that rare for decent work)! Otherwise, there are a few good shops in the Phoenix area, Robar,
McMillan, etc. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:24 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,150 times
I just had a double barreled shotgun cut down to 22" from 27" at Bentwood Gunsmithing in Henderson. I gather that the guy recently moved from coastal Calif to Henderson. He did very good work (hint, cutting down doubles is not the easiest thing to do, since the barrels may need to be resoldered and the bead remounted), was reasonable considering the job and turn-around was right at two weeks.

I've never heard of anything good coming out of CCS Gunsmithing. Read the online reviews, if even a few of the horror stories are true...and I'm sure many are. I've had dealings with them myself, although the job was finally done right, it was a very small job that took well over 6 months for them to do.

Don't bother sending your Blackhawk to Ruger for the cylinder to be done, if it didn't come with the 9mm cylinder from the factory, they will not work on the cylinder you have.

For the 44-40, any competent gunsmith should be able to mount a new sight (see Bentwood above). As for the rolling block, if you are getting a new high quality barrel and having a new ejector milled, which I take is a total custom job, then I would think 2k is probably a reasonable price, assuming all the parts are included in that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: