Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 12:16 AM

743 posts, read 968,878 times

Advertisements

Yes, grab the home depot illegals. If you get anything off of craigslist, you are throwing money away...can't stress that enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:16 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Sometimes Angies list may be the best way.

If you are moving and have a large set of family and friends you just move yourself. If you are clever...don't carry much stull at a time and do not pack the truck...it can work very well.

Scoop has a good site with absolutely no applicability. None of the local movers even weigh their truck anymore hold anything hostage. That is interstate moves.

If you get a truck and a set from Home Depot it works most of the time. The rest of the time you lose a large part of your good stuff. Who you gonna sue?

Professional movers are good when you need to get heavy stuff or good stuff move reliably without damage. And they are not that expensive.

Sometimes saving money is the stupidest thing in the world...this one has that opportunity.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
Good evening. I'm moving homes in the next 2-3 weeks and I'd like to hire a company to move our heavy / large furniture. Can anyone recommend a good company?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
^ Why would anyone pay for angies list?
Well let's see. You're on this site trying to find the name of a good moving company, and with luck you may get anecdotal evidence from one or two people recommending a specific company. But no company satisfies everyone 100% of the time, and one person's good experience could turn out to be someone else's nightmare. You go on one person's recommendation, and you are still taking your chances.

On Angie's List, 100s of people have relayed their experience with local and long-distance movers, and the companies are rated by those people from A to F on a variety of factors. I just did a quick check and there are 5 or so moving companies that each have over 50 positive reviews; a couple of companies have over 100 (although one only does interstate moves & for those moves I agree with Scoop that movingscam is the place to get those recommendations). That's a pretty good track record. If I was moving, those would be the first few companies I would consider.

I've used Angie's List multiple times to locate good trades people and/or companies in various locations around the country and have never been disappointed. But apparently, I'm foolish for paying a few bucks annually to have access to all of these reviews, so good luck with your search. (Or perhaps someone else on this board who also is a member of Angie's List will provide those names to you.)

Last edited by MadManofBethesda; 08-16-2013 at 08:00 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 AM

400 posts, read 564,385 times
Used Warren's Homework, $130/hour - great guys. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:31 AM

8 posts, read 12,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well let's see. You're on this site trying to find the name of a good moving company, and with luck you may get anecdotal evidence from one or two people recommending a specific company. But no company satisfies everyone 100% of the time, and one person's good experience could turn out to be someone else's nightmare. You go on one person's recommendation, and you are still taking your chances.

On Angie's List, 100s of people have relayed their experience with local and long-distance movers, and the companies are rated by those people from A to F on a variety of factors. I just did a quick check and there are 5 or so moving companies that each have over 50 positive reviews; a couple of companies have over 100 (although one only does interstate moves & for those moves I agree with Scoop that movingscam is the place to get those recommendations). That's a pretty good track record. If I was moving, those would be the first few companies I would consider.

I've used Angie's List multiple times to locate good trades people and/or companies in various locations around the country and have never been disappointed. But apparently, I'm foolish for paying a few bucks annually to have access to all of these reviews, so good luck with your search. (Or perhaps someone else on this board who also is a member of Angie's List will provide those names to you.)
Realize this isnt a post abt angies list but I have to say that my experience w AL is mixed at best. While the few bucks it costs is an effective screen for scammers that are prevalent on CL, I found AL to be lacking in sufficient suggestions for even basic areas like dentistry. This was a few years back... maybe there is critical mass now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas