Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,498,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latin_racer View Post
I'm starting to see more and more graffiti all over the vegas valley. In my new home community they keep coming back and tagging some walls, post light or utility boxes. In a few days it get's removed but a few days later the same thing happens again. Anyone else feel that this is just getting out of control? What can one do about this besides staying all night and catching them in the act?
It happens all over the valley but instead of complaining about it I do something about it. On our street, some of the utility poles get tagged but it does not stay very long. I immediately clean it and spray paint it the same color as the post. Trust me, the sooner you clean it up the better and usually the juveniles give up once you are on top of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:14 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,179,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
It happens all over the valley but instead of complaining about it I do something about it. On our street, some of the utility poles get tagged but it does not stay very long. I immediately clean it and spray paint it the same color as the post. Trust me, the sooner you clean it up the better and usually the juveniles give up once you are on top of things.
Small stuff is simple to clean up.

Stuff like this requires the graffiti removal hotline.

But then again, I heard that they are stretched thin for personnel and budget.

Sent from watch

Old 08-13-2013, 02:42 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,949,401 times
Graffiti is all over and even the Media perpetuates it in commercials..

Take a look at the new Mini Cooper commercial.. One of the parts has a guy driving along while his "copilot" takes a paint roller with Blue paint on it and runs it across what looks like a painted mural on the side of a building...

So now everyone thinks it's cool to do that because an international company did it in their commercial....

Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 PM

23,283 posts, read 29,145,078 times
Graffiti goes way back to the Native American Indians and their petroglyphs, etching/painting on stones/rock walls. You can still see some of their "graffiti" around the Southwest, never removed!

So what's new in this world!!!

The graffiti that's done artistically should be left alone! Like along some of our freeways north of the Spaghetti Bowl on I-15!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,024,989 times
I am a gigantic fan of the "graffiti" artist Bansky. Huge fan. I consider him one of the truly great artists.

Tagging isn't even close to the same thing. It's stupid, childish vandalism -- primarily in one's own neighborhood.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:44 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,860,062 times
Las Vegas needs Grafitti Vigilantes like in Detroit. Check it out here:

Vigilantes are attacking graffiti writers in Detroit | Motor City Muckraker |

I hate taggers. They are pure scum. I hate the title they are given: grafitti artists. They are not artists. They are degenerates. Rant over.

-Cheers!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM

I'm so blasted tired of the hundreds of miles of our beige-colored, Berlin-style walls in this city, that anything done to them is an improvement!

We try so hard to make our neighborhoods look like there's not a hair out of place, perfect communities with perfect people living within them!

But, please, arrest your curiosities about knocking on the doors of the houses in these seemingly perfect communities, for what may you find? Lots of hairs out of place!

House #1: you walk into the kitchen and there's cockroaches everywhere!
House #2: a woman comes to the door with a black eye!
House #3: an underfed dog, with ribs showing, looking at you like you're a can of Alpo!
House #4: an elderly woman, who should be in a nursing home, with dirty diapers scattered everywhere!
House #5: a younger man, glassy-eyed, with a syringe in his hand!
House #6: an extremely overweight man, unemployed for 3 years, eating himself to death!

The real truth in any neighborhood lies within the houses!

We can tolerate any number of Capitalistic abuses in this country, but a little graffiti can send people into a fit of violence! Just shows all too well about the human race: the big things don't show up on their radar screens (too big to fit on the screen?) but the little things will always drive people to madness much quicker!

IMO, billboards are the worst form of graffiti!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,835,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm so blasted tired of the hundreds of miles of our beige-colored, Berlin-style walls in this city, that anything done to them is an improvement!

We try so hard to make our neighborhoods look like there's not a hair out of place, perfect communities with perfect people living within them!

But, please, arrest your curiosities about knocking on the doors of the houses in these seemingly perfect communities, for what may you find? Lots of hairs out of place!

House #1: you walk into the kitchen and there's cockroaches everywhere!
House #2: a woman comes to the door with a black eye!
House #3: an underfed dog, with ribs showing, looking at you like you're a can of Alpo!
House #4: an elderly woman, who should be in a nursing home, with dirty diapers scattered everywhere!
House #5: a younger man, glassy-eyed, with a syringe in his hand!
House #6: an extremely overweight man, unemployed for 3 years, eating himself to death!

The real truth in any neighborhood lies within the houses!

We can tolerate any number of Capitalistic abuses in this country, but a little graffiti can send people into a fit of violence! Just shows all too well about the human race: the big things don't show up on their radar screens (too big to fit on the screen?) but the little things will always drive people to madness much quicker!

IMO, billboards are the worst form of graffiti!
I am in the homes of the old and considering departing regularly...particularly in Sun City. We have in perhaps 300 or 400 homes seen 2 or 3 where the situation was as you describe.

It simply is not true. The middle class and even some of the upper poor (fixed incomes)...do ok. Sometimes we are helping them sell because their financial world has collapsed. But the houses are inevitably clean and reasonably neat and free of vermin or obvious distress.

Now the poor and the lowest socio-economic class? Gets a little icky...but even here many hold it together into and through foreclosure.

The miles of beige walls are a pain. Though we actually fixed that problem twenty years ago. You must plant along any such wall. Beats the hell out of graffiti...now if we could only move those walls back three feet and require one 24 inch box tree every 10 feet. Damn we blew that one.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

The miles of beige walls are a pain. Though we actually fixed that problem twenty years ago. You must plant along any such wall. Beats the hell out of graffiti...now if we could only move those walls back three feet and require one 24 inch box tree every 10 feet. Damn we blew that one.
I'm in East Central, and if you go east on Desert Inn, the walls were never painted, still gray cinder block, as well as many other areas of this city. One homeowner on a long gray-walled stretch, along Flamingo Rd, must have hired a graffiti artist to paint this exciting mural along one stretch of that street about a year ago. I jumped up and down with joy, hoping this would spread to other gray-walled areas of town, but it wasn't but a couple weeks and it was repainted gray! A city ordinance prohibiting it? Who knows!!!

But, no, they're not all gray walls anymore. Taggers come by, the anti-graffiti squad comes and they paint over it with whatever paint they have that day, making it look even worse, leaving a horrid patch-quilt of white, blue, and beiges!

Eradication, hope, will one day arrive in the form of an earthquake and the walls come tumbling down! I come from an area of the country where even if you put up a chain-link fence in the neighborhood you were looked upon with suspicion!

So, as it remains now, they present tempting canvasses for the taggers! And, like I said previously, especially concerning the gray walls, any tagging can be an improvement, until the anti-graffiti squad arrives!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

I'm in East Central, and if you go east on Desert Inn, the walls were never painted, still gray cinder block, as well as many other areas of this city. One homeowner on a long gray-walled stretch, along Flamingo Rd, must have hired a graffiti artist to paint this exciting mural along one stretch of that street about a year ago. I jumped up and down with joy, hoping this would spread to other gray-walled areas of town, but it wasn't but a couple weeks and it was repainted gray! A city ordinance prohibiting it? Who knows!!!

But, no, they're not all gray wall anymore. Taggers come by, the anti-graffiti squad comes and they paint over it with whatever paint they have that day, making it look even worse, leaving a horrid patch-quilt of white, blue, and beiges!

Eradication, hope, will one day arrive in the form of an earthquake and the walls come tumbling down! I come from an area of the country where even if you put up a chain-link fence in the neighborhood you were looked upon with suspicion! After 17 years, I have never adjusted to all this wall-madness here!

So, as it remains now, they present tempting canvasses for the taggers! And, like I said previously, especially concerning the gray walls, any tagging can be an improvement, until the anti-graffiti squad arrives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: