Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,529,743 times

Advertisements

ok, i don't eat fish but.....shouldn't sea bass taste & smell like fish since it IS fish? is it supposed to taste/smell like something else? or just not have an overpowering fish taste/smell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,952,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
ok, i don't eat fish but.....shouldn't sea bass taste & smell like fish since it IS fish? is it supposed to taste/smell like something else? or just not have an overpowering fish taste/smell?
The flavor should be light with a hint of that fish taste. It should not be strong like you're walking by a cannery. If it does, it usually means the fish is not fresh.

Go to a good sushi restaurant and taste some fresh sashimi. You'll be surprised to find that the raw fish you're eating is not particularly "fishy". It's delicate and subtle.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,421,014 times
I don't order sea bass but he does. It's his favorite dish. He said it should not smell fishy and should not have an overpowering fishy taste. He said he thought the fish was old and should not have been served. I don't know why he didn't send it back. He thought it was strange that the server didn't ask him why he didn't eat the fish.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There's hole-in-the-wall Mexican (which isn't a bad thing at all... especially for foodies), and the rest is Olive Garden and TGI McFunster's.
Where's the hole-in-the-wall Mexican? Would love to try it!

Old 06-12-2014, 12:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Where's the hole-in-the-wall Mexican? Would love to try it!
Any of the generic taco stands. Everyone knows Roberto's. But I think Fausto's is better. And there are dozens of little taco stands dotting the valley. I've never had a bad meal at any of them. I always bring visitors to a hole-in-the-wall taco stand before anywhere else. Sometimes, that's all we end up eating. Most of America doesn't get the kind of Mexican food that we get.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:40 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I don't order sea bass but he does. It's his favorite dish. He said it should not smell fishy and should not have an overpowering fishy taste. He said he thought the fish was old and should not have been served. I don't know why he didn't send it back. He thought it was strange that the server didn't ask him why he didn't eat the fish.
1) All the things Bouchon is famous for, and your friend orders sea bass.

2) Not sending the dish back is ridiculous. Why pay for something you don't want to eat? Pride? Fear of cooks doing something nasty to the subsequent dish? That doesn't happen at Bouchon. They're all on closed-circuit camera, being monitored by TK himself.

And while I don't doubt that your friend did not enjoy his meal, it sounds to me like your friend should avoid restaurants entirely. The place to order sea bass is within a few miles of an ocean where sea bass is routinely caught -- no place else.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,421,014 times
lol. He lives in El Paso and orders sea bass at Cafe Central on a regular basis.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,968,469 times
In-N-Out Burger always works. Try China town. As always consult you tube. Diners driving and dives las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas