Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 08:42 AM

159 posts, read 479,021 times

Advertisements

Hi,

If anyone out there has experience with hematologist/oncologists, please weigh in, especially if your illness requires receiving phlebotomies.

My brother has polycythemia vera, which requires him to have a large amount of blood drawn (phlebotomy) on a regular basis. I found a hematologist at the Cancer Center who I think is a good doctor (w/just 2 minor complaints from me), but it's the bloodwork technicians who aren't skilled AT ALL! Yesterday, they demolished my brother's arm, and so I made them stop before finishing the phlebotomy (since it was not detrimental to my brother to do so in light of bloodwork results yesterday).

Prior to moving to Las Vegas, we had a doctor (Kenneth Nahum) in Howell, NJ, who took care of John. He's great, and so are his staff. Once every 4 to 6weeks, we were in and out of the office in about 20 minutes--even with the phlebotomy.

The nurses (except for one male nurse, who sucked as bad as the techs at the NV Cancer Center) were extremely skilled. They did not use one of those bottles to collect the blood. They used a thin syringe with a tube attached to it. and drew the blood swiftly and left nothing but a tiny puncture mark. The procedure as done by them was swift (bears repeating) and never traumatic; they drew the blood without a problem.

Given the lack of skilled techs at NV Cancer Center, I feel we've moved backward w/John's care in this regard. So what I'm really looking for is A HEMATOLOGIST/ONCOLOGIST WHO HAS GREAT BLOODWORK TECHNICIANS WHO DON'T USE A BOTTLE TO COLLECT THE BLOOD AND WHO DON'T CAUSE MASSIVE--OR ANY!--BRUISING DURING THE PROCEDURE.

I know this is an odd request for help, but I'm at a loss here. John's next appointment is December 5, and we're dreading it already. Please, if you're a doctor, nurse, or patient who has info to impart, let me know what you think.

THANKS!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 02:42 PM

98 posts, read 350,188 times
I've only had expereince with one hematologist and it went fine, blood draws and all. The doctor and the staff were great. I'm not sure if she specializes in what you need but here's her info:

Rinah Shopnick
2020 W.Palomino Ln, ste. 110
702-385-2702

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:01 PM

159 posts, read 479,021 times
Thanks, sorryville! I'll give her office a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: