Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 02:48 PM

99 posts, read 163,262 times

Advertisements

Good Day, Currently living in Iowa and looking to relocate to Vegas before the snow starts falling again Anyone have any recommendations on apartments for quiet senior living..55+..I am just shy of 60 and still need to work so I want to live in a nice, quiet, apartment. I am not interested in a home I am recently widow and keeping up my home here in Iowa has been too much for me to handle Would prefer someplace close to Summerlin....please help....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:35 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,325,811 times
Have you carefully figured out your budget? I can't imagine how anyone in their 60's and approaching life on social security would have enough money monthly to pay rent. Close to Summerlin as you ask would put you at least at $1000 a month and ss checks are seldom more then $2200 a month.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,159,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Have you carefully figured out your budget? I can't imagine how anyone in their 60's and approaching life on social security would have enough money monthly to pay rent. Close to Summerlin as you ask would put you at least at $1000 a month and ss checks are seldom more then $2200 a month.
Not in a 55+ place. They charge less because older tenants are more responsible, generally.
I know of some 55+ places in various parts of town, but I can't recall any near Summerlin. I'm sure a real estate person will come by this thread and have some recommendations.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,181,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virg1123 View Post
Good Day, Currently living in Iowa and looking to relocate to Vegas before the snow starts falling again Anyone have any recommendations on apartments for quiet senior living..55+..I am just shy of 60 and still need to work so I want to live in a nice, quiet, apartment. I am not interested in a home I am recently widow and keeping up my home here in Iowa has been too much for me to handle Would prefer someplace close to Summerlin....please help....
Why Summerlin? Are you not open to anywhere else in the valley?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...nt-heaven.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ity-homes.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...or+communities
https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...rement-lv.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...e-seniors.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...nty-voted.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...5-members.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...mmunities.html

Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Thank you for your replies...Maybe I should look into Henderson..I am not interested in buying anything..$1000 a mo seems a bit extreme for a 1br apt? I have checked the internet for apt rentals and $1000 will get you a great apt..Wanting to know if anyone had friends my age living in a 55+ apt complex that they would recommend. NVLgal thank you for the plug about us over 55 being more responsible..because we are..plus we just don't move fast enough to skip out our rent....Thank you all for the replies...will keep up on research....

Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,325,811 times
I'm surprised you can afford to rent. I'm over 55 and living on ss and if I wasn't in a cash position with everything, I can't imagine how I would have a thing left for a bit of life. Car insurance is sky high here, car registration, HOA fees cut into things, groceries are higher then the midwest and back east and if you want to take advantage of the entertainment we are inundated with, tickets are quite pricey. Without one penny going out monthly for rent, my check is depleted by the end of the month.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I'm surprised you can afford to rent. I'm over 55 and living on ss and if I wasn't in a cash position with everything, I can't imagine how I would have a thing left for a bit of life. Car insurance is sky high here, car registration, HOA fees cut into things, groceries are higher then the midwest and back east and if you want to take advantage of the entertainment we are inundated with, tickets are quite pricey. Without one penny going out monthly for rent, my check is depleted by the end of the month.
I am not on SS yet...only 59....I work for a living, have a mortgage, home loan...etc...I realize that all the expenses I have here in Iowa I will also have in Vegas...some will cost more, some not..I HAVE to rent an apartment if I have no plans on buying a home...need a roof over my head...Just looking for a quiet complex.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM

11,179 posts, read 16,057,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virg1123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I know of some 55+ places in various parts of town, but I can't recall any near Summerlin. I'm sure a real estate person will come by this thread and have some recommendations.
I drive by a senior apartment complex in Summerlin every time I go to Red Rock. It is Carefree Senior Living at the Willows on Town Center Dr.

Carefree Senior Living - Senior Apartments Las Vegas and Sacramento

Search Apartments for Rent, Condos and Rental Homes | MyNewPlace

Old 07-06-2013, 06:35 AM

743 posts, read 970,538 times
If you are under 55, are you able to purchase a unit in a community that is strictly for rental to those that are 55?

Old 07-06-2013, 08:45 AM

11,179 posts, read 16,057,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
If you are under 55, are you able to purchase a unit in a community that is strictly for rental to those that are 55?
To answer your question in a general sense, there is no prohibition for anyone of any age to purchase units in 55+ communities such as Sun City, etc. The age restriction only pertains to residency, not ownership. However, with regard to the specific question you asked, rental communities such as the one to which I linked are owned and operated by corporations. Individual units are not for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas