Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,395,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpersignal View Post
FWIW was in LAS Vegas a couple weeks ago. Mon-Thurs was like a ghost town but Friday and weekend was busy as I remembered during the bubble 2000's. I don't know what that means but I think the major difference when LAS Vegas was booming was that the weekdays were almost as good as the weekends.

Also, I booked July 4th week at Hard Rock Hotel for less than $100 a night overall. That is astoundingly low for July 4th week in LAS Vegas compared to the past years that I had done it. It *could* be a bad sign that LAS Vegas has really slowed down overall or it could mean Hard Rock Hotel just isn't that popular anymore. I just don't know.
Since you don't live here and see the local news on a daily basis like we do, maybe $100 a night is sign the Hard Rock is "raising" room rates. Las Vegas in the past was usually recession proof. But we admit that when the Real Estate bubble burst, it hit us pretty hard too. Then people started seeing the great deals they could get and came back in droves, although they spent less per visit. Lately the signs have been that a lot of the recession is behind us, but we all have our fingers, toes, and eyes crossed; we're also knocking on wood. But things are looking better here.

You will find that Las Vegas visitation varies depending on what is going on. Right before certain holidays you can fire off a canon and not hit anyone. But those times are getting fewer and further between. Sometimes the week before a big event, room rates will be lower because the hotels know there won't be as many visitors that week. You may have been here on a slow week. Whenever my wife and I venture over to the Strip for something, we generally think there is no recession. It is almost always crowded. But you have to look at it over time, not just one week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,173,717 times
Yes it was during boom times. That was to show down trends and what little up trends are going on in this town. Just something to compare to.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM

I never put a lot of stock in most of those job listings, especially from the medical community. Working for Nevada's JobConnect I remember seeing pages and pages of "ghost" listings for nurses, etc. There were no jobs, they were just fishing.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Yes it was during boom times. That was to show down trends and what little up trends are going on in this town. Just something to compare to.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Ah, ha. I get it.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 PM

121 posts, read 290,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
maybe $100 a night is sign the Hard Rock is "raising" room rates.
You lost me there. A few years ago I paid $400 a night to stay at the Hard Rock during 4th july week. I don't see how $100 a night now would be 'raising' the prices.

Quote:
You will find that Las Vegas visitation varies depending on what is going on.
A few weeks ago was considered a Spring Break week. I don't see how that would be a 'hit and miss' period. It should've been a HIT HIT period at least anytime in the past 10 years, I've always seen it fully packed. Even last year I came on the same week of the year.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,907,572 times
The Hard Rock isn't the indicator it once was. Every higher end place has put a ton of money into their pools after they saw what happened at the Hard Rock. Every club since the place opened has been meant to beat the field so the draw they used to have is diminished. If you want to see the original Hard Rock kind of crowd on weekends just go to the Cosmo. Getting those rates and customers Hard Rock once had

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,173,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
The Hard Rock isn't the indicator it once was. Every higher end place has put a ton of money into their pools after they saw what happened at the Hard Rock. Every club since the place opened has been meant to beat the field so the draw they used to have is diminished. If you want to see the original Hard Rock kind of crowd on weekends just go to the Cosmo. Getting those rates and customers Hard Rock once had
Yep, HR is definitely not the happening spot anymore. I'm sure a name change and remodel is coming soon.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-14-2013, 02:32 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,491,525 times
Quote:
I only checked out this one link.

Las Vegas Home to Hottest Job Market - 8 News NOW

There is no date on it, but it must have been from before 2006. None of those figures are accurate now.
No date but the only comment was made a year ago....and we know it wasn't hot then...

Old 05-14-2013, 03:13 AM

9 posts, read 13,197 times
Thanks everyone. Always best to get the information/feedback from a variety of backgrounds.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas