Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,466 times

Advertisements

Scoop: when you say homeowners aka taxpayers, so be it. Its a public thoroughfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 01:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,003,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Scoop: when you say homeowners aka taxpayers, so be it. Its a public thoroughfare.
It is a public thoroughfare only because the city, developers, and the homeowners built and bought houses too damned close to a pig farm. Without the development, this would be a non issue. The pig farm could go on stinking to high heaven, without streetlights and sidewalks, and nobody at all would care -- out of sight (and hopefully smell), out of mind.

The developers made their money and are long gone. The homeowners bought these houses knowing full well they were close to a pig farm. And while the city should have known better, it is still basically asking a great mass of people who knew better than to buy near a pig farm to pay for improvements that mainly help the small minority of people who looked (and smelled) the farm before closing and said, "Oh well, at least these houses are cheap." Pig farms do not normally have sidewalks and street lights surrounding them. It is unfair to ask the Coombs to pay for these improvements. It is also unfair to ask the rest of North Las Vegas to pay for them.

This is exactly the same thing as when my home town put new sound-deadening windows in all the million-dollar houses near the airport and stuck everyone in town with the bill.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:00 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,539,618 times

from two weeks ago...

Old 05-27-2014, 04:09 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,164,128 times
The developers were banking on the pig farmer to sell during the boom.

60 million and still didn't budge.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It is a public thoroughfare only because the city, developers, and the homeowners built and bought houses too damned close to a pig farm. Without the development, this would be a non issue. The pig farm could go on stinking to high heaven, without streetlights and sidewalks, and nobody at all would care -- out of sight (and hopefully smell), out of mind.

The developers made their money and are long gone. The homeowners bought these houses knowing full well they were close to a pig farm. And while the city should have known better, it is still basically asking a great mass of people who knew better than to buy near a pig farm to pay for improvements that mainly help the small minority of people who looked (and smelled) the farm before closing and said, "Oh well, at least these houses are cheap." Pig farms do not normally have sidewalks and street lights surrounding them. It is unfair to ask the Coombs to pay for these improvements. It is also unfair to ask the rest of North Las Vegas to pay for them.

This is exactly the same thing as when my home town put new sound-deadening windows in all the million-dollar houses near the airport and stuck everyone in town with the bill.
There are "pig farm" issues and simple development issues. The sidewalk and street stuff is strictly developmental and went on all over the valley.

The roads were in before Combs and his pig farms. They were laid out and basically committed when the basic land planning for the geographic area was done. The basic road plan is the same pretty much for everything from agriculture to high density residential.

What happened at the pig farm is the same thing that happened throughout the valley and particularly along the northern tier. People built homes on two lane gravel roads and now live on 6 lane arterials. Relatively high density housing got smashed right up against 10 acre ranches.

NLV had the whole area around 5th and Ann planned for high density housing. Not surprising as Fifth was planned for years as a major arterial . I would think as Fifth is modernized the Comb property will be updated to full lights and sidewalks. The same will likely occur on Ann over time.

Otherwise this is the standard embedded island problem. Again you find them all over the valley. And the general outcome is the island are left alone without suburban improvements. I would think this wil be the outcome at the Combs properties as well except the arterial will end up full improved.

The stink creates a different situation. Again the right to stink up your neighbors is not one I am aware of...so I would think the County could simply declare it a nuisance and make it stop stinking or even change the zoning of the parcel so that the present use is not allowed. YOu would clearly run into litigation but I would think the County would prevail eventually..perhaps after paying a settlement to Combs.

If there was fault I would think it lies with the planning process in NLV. They needed to figure out what to do about Combs but instead ignored the problem and brought the present situation down on all. I would suspect that you will find the owners of the parcels through out that area choose to be annexed by NLV as the NLV high density zoning was worth a lot more money than the rural county designation. In later years there have been agreements to block that sort of down zoning on parcels so the problem is no longer common.

The eventual outcome will be that Combs ends up out of there. It is only a matter of time and the right people on the County Commission or even a suit by the local neighborhoods to shut Combs down. Again there is no inherent right to pollute your neighbor's property no matter how long you have been doing it.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:01 PM

700 posts, read 1,330,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
...There are "pig farm" issues and simple development issues....
I agree with everything you posted. Im sure when it was all going down before the new development rules, they were sure he would sell as NLV property was going for a mint. Same for the people that bought that were disclosed the pig farm were told, "theres a pig farm there, but he is sure to sell within a year or two." I dont go that way much so I dont care about street lights and sidewalks.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:18 PM

65 posts, read 99,011 times
Housing is noticeably cheaper next to the farm. People must have thought it was worth the savings when they bought and now they want the farm gone to get better property value? Can't blame them I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas