Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,545,278 times

Advertisements

I dont think they would necessarily be fond "at Fault", but they surely will be sited separate from that fault finding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,836,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
I was sorta under the impression that anyone driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol involved in an accident is automatically at fault as it was illegal for them to be operating the vehicle at the time of the accident so, technically they are at fault as they should not have been on the road to have an accident in the first place?
Nah. If shown to be driving impaired they are potentially guilty of a crime. But that does not make them at fault. Really the difference between civil and criminal.

The earlier young lady who mowed down the teenagers picking trash got railroaded with an odd statute that makes the presence of a metabolite of Pot a proof of under the influence...even if you are not. But there is not and will not be such a law for Xanax.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 PM

670 posts, read 1,106,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I would love to find out where you heard that, because it is beyond ridiculous?
No idea where I heard it. Didn't say I believed it either.

I don't think it's "beyond ridiculous" to think that one could be found at fault for an accident they are involved in while in the process of committing a crime.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,291,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
No idea where I heard it. Didn't say I believed it either.

I don't think it's "beyond ridiculous" to think that one could be found at fault for an accident they are involved in while in the process of committing a crime.
If a prostitute gets brutally raped and murdered while performing a trick, is she guilty of her own murder since she was committing a (very minor) crime herself? If a person has a 1 or 2 beers before they drive, and some soccer mom plows them down blowing threw a red light on her cell phone automatically make the person who had a couple beers responsible? Just some scenarios to think about is all....

Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 PM

249 posts, read 403,484 times
No-- to be guilty of the felony DUI, the accident must have been the charged person's fault. It is not the difference between civil and criminal-- civil actually has a much lower burden. The DUI must have resulted in (ie caused) substantial bodily harm or death, otherwise it is a misdemeanor, and then still only if the State can prove she was impaired (under the influence)-- there are no per se levels for Xanax unlike marijuana-- otherwise it is not a crime. They could charge her for taking the pills without a prescription-- but the DUI will be very difficult to prove. It likely will be reduced to felony reckless driving which is probationable-- felony DUI is mandatory time

Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlesq View Post
No-- to be guilty of the felony DUI, the accident must have been the charged person's fault. It is not the difference between civil and criminal-- civil actually has a much lower burden. The DUI must have resulted in (ie caused) substantial bodily harm or death, otherwise it is a misdemeanor, and then still only if the State can prove she was impaired (under the influence)-- there are no per se levels for Xanax unlike marijuana-- otherwise it is not a crime. They could charge her for taking the pills without a prescription-- but the DUI will be very difficult to prove. It likely will be reduced to felony reckless driving which is probationable-- felony DUI is mandatory time
Intriguing...Is it a crime to take an unprescribed drug? Do I break the law if I share my supply of pain medication with my wife? How about if we share Crestor?

Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 PM

249 posts, read 403,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Intriguing...Is it a crime to take an unprescribed drug? Do I break the law if I share my supply of pain medication with my wife? How about if we share Crestor?
It is actually a felony to give someone else one of your prescribed pain meds

Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
And is it a felony if she takes one?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Quick check seems to indicate that is true only of schedule II drugs.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,157,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Nah. If shown to be driving impaired they are potentially guilty of a crime. But that does not make them at fault. Really the difference between civil and criminal.

The earlier young lady who mowed down the teenagers picking trash got railroaded with an odd statute that makes the presence of a metabolite of Pot a proof of under the influence...even if you are not. But there is not and will not be such a law for Xanax.
That one, Jessica Williams, was IMHO a miscarriage of justice. Those kids should not have been on that median in the first place and the county knew it. It was all about the liability and PR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: