Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:49 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,988,924 times

Advertisements

Rolling Stone is also an "Entertainment Tabloid" -- well, they used to be until they went to standard magazine format. (They were at their best when they were a tabloid, and PJ O'Rourke and Hunter S Thompson were writing weekly stories. Although Matt Taibbi has turned out to be an excellent writer, too.)

The two Las Vegas tabloids do plenty of entertainment stuff, but they usually have two or three good "news features." Two-to-three-thousand word stories that go deeper than the RJ and Sun ever will. You can't rely on them for your day-to-day news. But their stories are far better than the 500-750 words the RJ gives a subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,796,460 times
The articles listed by Von are opinion ...editorials. No real content.

These publications may do in depth stuff but none of that was it. The water article for instance is pretty much all opinion and appears to reflect certain environmental views rather than reality. Kind of a "tree huggers to the parapets" approach.

Often the LA Times is a better source of LV stuff then anyone local

Old 03-09-2013, 03:34 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
WHEN has the LALA Times EVER written a pice that wasnt derogatory towards Las Vegas?????

Old 03-09-2013, 04:03 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
WHEN has the LALA Times EVER written a pice that wasnt derogatory towards Las Vegas?????
Amen. They've been jealous and vindictive toward Las Vegas probably since the 1940s. You can't believe a thing the LA Crimes ever says. You and I have seen their BS since the early 60s, Dyn.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Just curious, Von, why only Vegas Seven sources? As a teacher, I was interested in the education article, but it turns out, was just an op ed and I think some of the author's presumptions were false. Isn't Vegas Seven an entertainment magazine?
I don't favor it over other mags. I just see them at the car wash, waiting rooms, smoothly shops and nail salons more than others. If I read an interesting article in a magazine(anyone), then I check it out online, then share it with others(not just this site).

Honestly I read just about any local publication I get my hands on.

Weekly
RJ
Sun
Desert Companion
Seven
Black
Etc

Posted from Nokia 8210

Last edited by von949; 03-09-2013 at 04:57 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 05:56 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Rolling Stone is also an "Entertainment Tabloid" -- well, they used to be until they went to standard magazine format. (They were at their best when they were a tabloid, and PJ O'Rourke and Hunter S Thompson were writing weekly stories. Although Matt Taibbi has turned out to be an excellent writer, too.)

The two Las Vegas tabloids do plenty of entertainment stuff, but they usually have two or three good "news features." Two-to-three-thousand word stories that go deeper than the RJ and Sun ever will. You can't rely on them for your day-to-day news. But their stories are far better than the 500-750 words the RJ gives a subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I don't favor it over other mags. I just see them at the car wash, waiting rooms, smoothly shops and nail salons more than others. If I read an interesting article in a magazine(anyone), then I check it out online, then share it with others(not just this site).

Honestly I read just about any local publication I get my hands on.

Weekly
RJ
Sun
Desert Companion
Seven
Black
Etc

Posted from Nokia 8210
I'll look at them a little more closely. I've just never thought of them as a news source and op eds, I take with a grain of salt.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,087 times
Grain of salt here also. If anything, I read them for their entertainment value. Plus, I prefer these threads over the "what's the safest place to live?" Threads.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 03-09-2013, 08:12 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,796,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Well just last week...From the LA Times...

Las Vegas – a city people just love to hate - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 PM

419 posts, read 906,894 times
(Las Vegas Weekly is an awesome paper. One of the best free city weekly's in the US.)

I'm not sure what Las Vegas can do to grow a more diversified economy. It's easy to think you can
just attract new industries, but the reality is, it's tough to do. LV has always struck me as an 'invented' town with no natural reason to exist. Towns that crashed in the 80's, like Houston, have now rebounded because they diversified more and their core industry (oil and gas) has come back big-time.

For Las Vegas I don't see anything more than slow incremental change. It can only bounce back so far, without adding a whole new industry....which does not happen overnight.

Last edited by brucerby; 03-09-2013 at 11:03 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Grain of salt here also. If anything, I read them for their entertainment value. Plus, I prefer these threads over the "what's the safest place to live?" Threads.

Posted from Nokia 8210
I know...something like 393 and counting. We should just start suggesting Washington and J Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas