Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,692 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I will be relocating to Vegas in a couple of months. I am and RN (Bachelor's prepared) with 5 years of experience. I have read on other forums that it is pretty difficult to get a nursing job in Vegas. As mentioned above, I have 5 years of experience which includes med/surg, telemetry, informatics, oncology, and most recently a little ICU. I have my med/surg certification, am ACLS certified, and am certified by the ONS to administer chemotherapy. I have read that it is increasingly hard for new grads to get a job, but do you think I will have as hard of time since I have experience? I have also read that LV hospitals are not hiring many out of state nurses for some reason. Can anyone speak to this?
I have also heard that the nurse to patient ratio's are horrible there. I've heard on med/surg floors it can be as many as 1:10. I can say that I am definitely not interested in this and would work in another state before I took a job in which I was responsible for that many patients. I would like to get into an ICU, and am willing to work night shift. My husband will have a stable job, and we have a lot of savings.
Any comments/opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartgirl View Post
I have also read that LV hospitals are not hiring many out of state nurses for some reason.
Channel 8 report.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Channel 8 report.
Quote:
The Las Vegas valley has some of the lowest numbers of health care workers per capita in the country and the demand for nurses is skyrocketing.
The age of the average nurse is steadily increasing, leaving a need for new nurses to come in as seasoned nurses retire.
Last I read or heard, the VA hospital is still short staffed. According to ALL search engines, there are a lot of open positions.

Registered Nurse Jobs - Las Vegas, NV | Simply Hired
Nurse jobs in Las Vegas, Nevada | Monster.com
Las Vegas Nursing Jobs - Find Nursing Jobs in Las Vegas, Nevada
Nurse Jobs in Las Vegas, NV on CareerBuilder.com
Nurse RN Jobs, Employment in Las Vegas, NV | Indeed.com

Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM

73 posts, read 103,751 times
Having 5 plus years and your bachelors degree means you shouldn't have much trouble finding a job. The ratios are high and there are minimal CNA's to assist you on the floors though. Also a few years ago they were handing out $10,000 sign on bonuses like candy. Today those are gone and it's tough to get your full 36-40 hours a week in some departments. Hospitals are really trying to cut back. I'm not sure how the private clinics and other places are doing. Check valleyhealthsys.com which includes postings for 5 of the Valley's hospitals. Also, as mentioned above the VA might be a nice gig as well.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
Send a DM to NLVgal. She is the expert on this field of work for LV. I have seen her give some good advice on this subject a couple of times.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM

322 posts, read 565,248 times
You might try applying at the Heart Attack Grill.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 PM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Can't help you with the hospitals, but I work in a Skilled Nursing Facility/Rehab Center and all I hear from the California (and those from other states as well) Nursing transplants is: California would never tolerate this! These high nurse/patient ratio's!

Bear in mind this is a right to work state, and if you're not familiar with it, look it up and the ramifications of it!

The other night our headcount had fallen from 98 to 90, and they sent an LPN home as it would make the facility "overstaffed". At nite, 4 LPN's (sometimes 3 if someone calls off!) and 4 CNA's (sometimes 3 if someone calls off!), and no provisions for hiring temp's when we're short!

Also bear in mind what's on the horizon, and a number of medical facilities are already being proactive, bracing for the big Medicaid/Medicare cuts which are only inevitable. And then? Oh, let's not try to think about that!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,796,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Can't help you with the hospitals, but I work in a Skilled Nursing Facility/Rehab Center and all I hear from the California (and those from other states as well) Nursing transplants is: California would never tolerate this! These high nurse/patient ratio's!

Bear in mind this is a right to work state, and if you're not familiar with it, look it up and the ramifications of it!

The other night our headcount had fallen from 98 to 90, and they sent an LPN home as it would make the facility "overstaffed". At nite, 4 LPN's (sometimes 3 if someone calls off!) and 4 CNA's (sometimes 3 if someone calls off!), and no provisions for hiring temp's when we're short!

Also bear in mind what's on the horizon, and a number of medical facilities are already being proactive, bracing for the big Medicaid/Medicare cuts which are only inevitable. And then? Oh, let's not try to think about that!!!
NV is going to extend Medicaid to another 45,000 people and you think this will make medical problems?

I would think the problems would be getting to see a medic.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 AM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
One of the major reasons why my facility converted to a Skilled Nursing Facility (more Medicare dependant), is due to the diminishing amount of money that Medicaid pays. A facility nearby, where one of my co-workers works at, has been totally Medicaid, half the facility is now being converted to Skilled Nursing/Medicare. A facility dependent on Medicaid patients can have a rough time of it! And it's not going to get any better, as Medicaid/Medicare comprises 44% of our Federal Budget.

They keep kicking this "hot potato" down the road, and one day the road will end!

Our facility has been proactive for some time now, no pay raises, the headcount dips below a certain number, Aides and Nurses both get called off! Night shift was cut recently from 5 Aides to 4, Swing Shift from 8 to 7, Nurses on the Day Shift from, at one time 7, to 6, to 5 and now 4!

If the OP has been in nursing long enough, she should know all this!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,692 times
Hi thank you so much for your response. It makes me feel a little bit better about the situation I guess I'm going to try to get a job in the ICU if possible. They can't give you 10 patients there, lol...eek I hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: