Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
More nonsense. The economy in Las Vegas is clearly well into recovery. Things are getting better every day. Get over it LVD...it is doing very well. Finally.
I agree! If we keep our fingers and toes crossed, our unofficial unemployment rate of 20% will nosedive to 19% by next year! Well into recovery, we are!!!

What continues to keep me shell-shocked, given 1 out of 5 are unemployed or underemployed in this city, is why-oh-why-oh-oh-why crime didn't go thru the roof 3-4 years ago, and stay at that level to this day!!!

Perhaps, finally, many have simply given up, and before they end up a suicide statistic, they're going to do a little gambling on burglaries/robberies/fraud and hope and pray they get away with it!

And, meanwhile, most white collar criminals go about unapprehended!

Can no longer call Las Vegas "Detroit of the West", as I knew it all along, Michigan and Detroit would bounce back quicker than this city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,796,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
If you read closely what I asked for...."Verifiable Source".....providing numbers from a Gallup Poll doesn't quite qualify. I specifically asked for that fully knowing, you could not provide...It doesn't exist as firearm ownership is not usually shared, public knowledge. I'm quite confident that another similar poll might reflect even lower numbers......If I were to receive a blind call inquiring about my ownership of firearms I would respectfully not comply.......enuf said !
Gallup is a verifiable source with public and published methodology. Are the numbers absolutely correct? No - statistics virtually never are. But the errors would generally be consistent over the years and what they show is a decrease in the numbers of people who own guns.

That you don't care for the numbers in no way changes that.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:23 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
Arn't the gun laws more relaxed there .Why nit get some training and get a concealed carry permit , one way or another crime is going to be on the rise no matter where you go and being able to deal with it directly is becomming a necessity not a luxury.
California law has far stricter gun laws ,so getting a CC is much more difficut here.
IN my opinion ,
One should train and correctly tool them selves for living ,and not be reliant on the law enforcment to baby sit you.
They are no longer there to do that .
If you deal with a problem in the area, the problem has resolution ,but if you merely run away, the problem is encouraged to grow.
It is the unarmed that empower the criminal, and it is the criminal that intends to disarm those that are armed. And that is a fact.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Arn't the gun laws more relaxed there .Why nit get some training and get a concealed carry permit , one way or another crime is going to be on the rise no matter where you go and being able to deal with it directly is becomming a necessity not a luxury.
California law has far stricter gun laws ,so getting a CC is much more difficut here.
IN my opinion ,
One should train and correctly tool them selves for living ,and not be reliant on the law enforcment to baby sit you.
They are no longer there to do that .
If you deal with a problem in the area, the problem has resolution ,but if you merely run away, the problem is encouraged to grow.
It is the unarmed that empower the criminal, and it is the criminal that intends to disarm those that are armed. And that is a fact.
And again the trends on crime has been down. That is both local and national.

Violent crime peaked in the late 1980s and has gone down since. It is now about 17% lower than the 1988 peak. The level is about that of the mid 1970s.

There were expectations that crime would rise under the financial pressures of the recession. It did not happen.

Here is a discussion of the data from a site that would not be called progressive.

50 Year Trends in Violent Crime in the US - FBI Statistics

Old 02-09-2013, 11:54 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
I just got back from getting water at a Glacier machine. The dollar acceptor was blocked by a note. Due to the recent thefts from our machines, they will no longer hold or accept dollar bills. I got water as recently as 3 days ago so this just happened. I had to go into the store to get change. It was here below.

Speedee Mart - Eastside - Las Vegas, NV

Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I just got back from getting water at a Glacier machine. The dollar acceptor was blocked by a note. Due to the recent thefts from our machines, they will no longer hold or accept dollar bills. I got water as recently as 3 days ago so this just happened. I had to go into the store to get change. It was here below.

An Anecdote. You can have a local crime wave. It happens. That does not effect the overall crime rates for the city. In fact to some degree the overall statistics are made up of the compilation of the local crime waves. A perp does not rub one car.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
An Anecdote. You can have a local crime wave. It happens. That does not effect the overall crime rates for the city. In fact to some degree the overall statistics are made up of the compilation of the local crime waves. A perp does not rub one car.
I am sorry, but I am going to believe the local police men and women that I have talked to recently over a real estate agent who has a financial incentive to lie to people to sell more houses. They have told me that other areas are even experiencing a higher crime increase than we are in the convention center command. That matches up closely with the current statistics I posted below. Unless you live in the northeast or southeast area command, your crime is up. If you live in the northwest area command, God help you. The fact that you think a 3 or 4 men team is doing this is downright ludicrous:

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department's Burglary Statistics (Homes & Businesses) Year-to-Date for the Week Ending 2/2/13, as compared to the same time last year:
Bolden Area Command - Burglaries up 6.59%
Convention Center Command - Burglaries up 9.68%
Downtown Area Command - Burglaries up 18.03%
Enterprise Area Command - Burglaries up .037%
Northeast Area Command - Burglaries down 12.04%
Northwest Area Command - Burglaries up 28.7%
South Central Area Command - Burglaries up 22.81%
Southeast Area Command - Burglaries down 10.23%

End of Story.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
As a person that has purchased 2 guns in the past 3 months, I can say that LVOC is correct. It is true that there are record number gun registration and back ground checks in the nation but a lot of these transactions are from already gun holders just going back for their second and third firearm. Maybe more.

I have co-workers that have purchased 4, 5, and even 6 different AR-15s since the school shooting. I have been speaking to a lot of gun shop owners in the valley. They all say the same thing. "Business is booming because of gun hobbiest/enthusiasts/aficionados worried about the government taking away their 2nd amendment".

Hell, I only purchased another gun last month because the price kept going up on the one that I really wanted. Before Sandy Hook, it was average price of $430. After Sandy Hook it is now going for $680ish.

Ridiculous.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Sounds like my husband. He is trying to stock up on ammo and buy another gun but prices are crazy and ammo is sold out from his usual source or something. Also they opened that police station near Durango and sorry to say I think the area needs it.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I am sorry, but I am going to believe the local police men and women that I have talked to recently over a real estate agent who has a financial incentive to lie to people to sell more houses. They have told me that other areas are even experiencing a higher crime increase than we are in the convention center command. That matches up closely with the current statistics I posted below. Unless you live in the northeast or southeast area command, your crime is up. If you live in the northwest area command, God help you. The fact that you think a 3 or 4 men team is doing this is downright ludicrous:

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department's Burglary Statistics (Homes & Businesses) Year-to-Date for the Week Ending 2/2/13, as compared to the same time last year:
Bolden Area Command - Burglaries up 6.59%
Convention Center Command - Burglaries up 9.68%
Downtown Area Command - Burglaries up 18.03%
Enterprise Area Command - Burglaries up .037%
Northeast Area Command - Burglaries down 12.04%
Northwest Area Command - Burglaries up 28.7%
South Central Area Command - Burglaries up 22.81%
Southeast Area Command - Burglaries down 10.23%

End of Story.
Nonsense...

From LVMPD Annual Report 2011

Below are some of the department’s noteworthy five year reductions in crime:

..................2011..........2006 ......% Change

Homicide ............86...........157......-45.22%
Robbery ..........3,493 ........5,381 .....-54.05%
Assault (Gun)...... 707 ........1,256 .....-43.71%
Burglary........ 12,662....... 14,913 .....-15.09%
Auto Theft....... 6,787....... 19,677 .....-65.51%

There is 2011 the lsast year published. 2012 has been reportede as down from there but the Annual Report is not yet out.

So your local blip statistics...which are clearly noisey...still would not overcome the drop since 2006.

And note a burglary is one category and generally not considered a violent crime.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
Quote:

I'm curious to know the cross streets of that Glacier machine.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas