Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM

792 posts, read 1,305,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
YOu been taking the NRA course in lying with statistics?

The percentage of the populaton in the US with a gun has been down every year for some years and is second or third lowest it has ever been.

Don't confuse NRA nuts who own 27 firearms with real people with a shotgun to protect the house.
Kindly provide a a verifiable source for that allegation.........and BTW a shotgun is classified as a "firearm"...a deadly weapon.......in the wrong hands, key word "hands" !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,307,999 times
Quote:
YOu been taking the NRA course in lying with statistics?

The percentage of the populaton in the US with a gun has been down every year for some years and is second or third lowest it has ever been.

Don't confuse NRA nuts who own 27 firearms with real people with a shotgun to protect the house.
Prove it, because I know for a fact that is not true.

Quote:
More nonsense. The economy in Las Vegas is clearly well into recovery. Things are getting better every day. Get over it LVD...it is doing very well. Finally.
Yeah, it is getting so much better that people are robbing each other left and right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Kindly provide a a verifiable source for that allegation.........and BTW a shotgun is classified as a "firearm"...a deadly weapon.......in the wrong hands, key word "hands" !
Agreed!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,850,283 times
Quote:
Sure - but only if you agree that you did not know that gun ownership was down over the last years. I like to make gun nuts eat their misconceptions.

Gun Ownership Statistics & Demographics | Statistic Brain

I actually advocate concealed carry in the existing environment. And I have shot any number of things including a few over 100 mms in diameter. And you?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,805,583 times
Default "elements"

I think in vegas, (just as in other cities) you have the following:

1. Long-term unemployed whom everyone turned their backs on, (remember them?) They gave up hope, lost everything, lost UC benefits, employers would not hire them... I predict "some" of them may have turned to crime, desperation can get pretty ugly. (I realize many, by now, have slowly improved their lives, by finding work)

2. Gangs. They have existed here, almost as long as cockroaches.

3. Meth users, Dopers, Addicts. We all know by now, with the epidemic of Meth and how desperate and (stupid) people become to get the drugs/meth they need, the kinds of crimes they will commit.

4. Mentally ill Perhaps a smaller portion, but these are the ones that take down cops, school kids, bizarre behaviors, that end up on the 6 'clock news. They are the least to blame but they do commit risky, crazy crimes...

5. Hardcore Criminals They always have been and likely always be, criminals. They steal from their mom, their families and from you. They don't care that they stole your xmas presents and ruined your Christmas. They only care about bustin' down and bustin' out.

Sorry you are leaving LVD. I hope you find happiness in SD. Awesome place

Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Sure - but only if you agree that you did not know that gun ownership was down over the last years. I like to make gun nuts eat their misconceptions.

I actually advocate concealed carry in the existing environment. And I have shot any number of things including a few over 100 mms in diameter. And you?
I used a direct Gallup link while you used a third party claiming Gallup as a source (without a bibliography) that I have never heard of. Gallup is based on surveys anyways so the results can be unreliable. Gun sales have been way up over the last 5 or so years. If you think that a few "gun nuts" have bought most of them while the general public remains unarmed so be it. I beg to differ.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,659,420 times
Anyway, even with Clark County's recent drop in murders, the per capita murder rate remains higher in CC than in the city of San Diego. Something to think about.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,188,397 times
As a person that has purchased 2 guns in the past 3 months, I can say that LVOC is correct. It is true that there are record number gun registration and back ground checks in the nation but a lot of these transactions are from already gun holders just going back for their second and third firearm. Maybe more.

I have co-workers that have purchased 4, 5, and even 6 different AR-15s since the school shooting. I have been speaking to a lot of gun shop owners in the valley. They all say the same thing. "Business is booming because of gun hobbiest/enthusiasts/aficionados worried about the government taking away their 2nd amendment".

Hell, I only purchased another gun last month because the price kept going up on the one that I really wanted. Before Sandy Hook, it was average price of $430. After Sandy Hook it is now going for $680ish.

Ridiculous.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:

If you read closely what I asked for...."Verifiable Source".....providing numbers from a Gallup Poll doesn't quite qualify. I specifically asked for that fully knowing, you could not provide...It doesn't exist as firearm ownership is not usually shared, public knowledge. I'm quite confident that another similar poll might reflect even lower numbers......If I were to receive a blind call inquiring about my ownership of firearms I would respectfully not comply.......enuf said !

Old 02-08-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
If you read closely what I asked for...."Verifiable Source".....providing numbers from a Gallup Poll doesn't quite qualify. I specifically asked for that fully knowing, you could not provide...It doesn't exist as firearm ownership is not usually shared, public knowledge. I'm quite confident that another similar poll might reflect even lower numbers......If I were to receive a blind call inquiring about my ownership of firearms I would respectfully not comply.......enuf said !
Good point!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Good point!
LVD......Vegas will always be here, but after you leave...well maybe not quite the same........safe travels my friend......I have enjoyed your opinions....stay well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas