Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,991,402 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can you be on the HOA board as a renter? Can the owner give you POA to represent them as in other states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Probably controlled by the bylaws of the HOA corp. You need to look at those first.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,813,395 times
Yeah, it's probably a bylaws issue. Even though I tend to keep up with condo issues in LV, I don't know what's standard across the board.

I do know that with my particular condo's HOA the owner relinquishes all rights to the renter - even access to the property except as approved per instance through the HOA. They don't want multiple people running around blurring the lines of authority and dragging HOA staff into disputes. So, my HOA made the decision you either have full rights or none at all.

Bill

Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
IMO, the renter status would not get you on the HOA board, nor truly in the HOA because the letters stand for HomeOWNERS Association.

However, your power of attorney (not to be confused with the 'poa' that stands for 'property owners association') might get you in there. It may even be that bylaws have not thought to address this. But it would be an interesting thing to look into. Let us know how you do on this.

I believe some HOA meetings allow a variety of parties to be in the audience, owner, tenant, guest visiting a home and tagging along. But restrictions could be on who comments during any structured comment period.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM

351 posts, read 837,382 times
Who would dare own a place in a community where renters make the financial decisions (which would mean the owners would be the ones charged)? From a renter's standpoint there'd be no loss in raising monthly dues, adding amenities, etc. Doesn't make sense, right?
In the last 2 communities I've lived renters aren't even allowed to attend meetings.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslocal55 View Post
Who would dare own a place in a community where renters make the financial decisions (which would mean the owners would be the ones charged)?
Bingo.

I am an HOA member in a housing community, and renters cannot serve on our board.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,991,402 times
it's legally murky, but if an owner grants one power of attorney said person is legally acting in that person's stead.

i certainy understand the merits of not allowing a renter on the board though. he has little direct fiduciary interest.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
it's legally murky, but if an owner grants one power of attorney said person is legally acting in that person's stead.

i certainy understand the merits of not allowing a renter on the board though. he has little direct fiduciary interest.
A power of attorney may not override the CC&Rs. One can prevent delegation. I have never seen an HOA with renters on the board but I do suspect some HOAs would love it. The biggest problem with HOA boards is still getting people willing to serve. Particular on small development boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas