Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If I move out there, COBRA will likely not be an option (my ex-employer is in NY, and probably doesn't deal with an insurer out there.) So I'd likely be on my own. So any hint of individual purchase numbers would be welcome.
I don't think the employer has any choice. So you get COBRA.

I will send you the stuff on a broker who we use. She has been in the business forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM

236 posts, read 405,741 times
My current employer is a very large health network and they provide us with coverage as long as we use Dr.'s and services "within" the network. I did ask them how COBRA would come into play if we moved out of state and they told me that I would just have to provide my new out of state address and it would cover Dr.'s and services as if they were "in network".

A few years ago when we were vacationing in Vegas, I developed a stress fracture in my foot and went to an Urgent Care on Harmon. They paid for everything. Hopefully it will work the same when we move. I still have to find out how much it will cost.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:22 PM

19 posts, read 23,920 times
Costco has medical insurance.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:34 AM

645 posts, read 706,772 times
oh man I was looking at ehealthinsurance and mine go from 220 to 500, and I don't understand the coverages, there are so many.

Are there certain insurance I definitely need to get and certain insurance that I can op-out?

BUt I do need one that's vision, my eyesight is pretty bad both eyes are -15, other than that I don't have any problems no smoking drinking pre-existing nothing. almost 40 years old. Is there certain insurance company or plan that I should pay attention for for my eyes? thanks

Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 AM

698 posts, read 985,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Anyone buying there own individual policies? If so, how much are you paying?
I opted out of company policy and have Blue shield PPO, $2,000 deductible, not sure what max family is maybe 8,000, $45 co-pay for 3 visits then it's a 80/20 split I believe. Standard coverages I believe, e.g. Son had a 5 hour ER visit, my portion was $1,900.

I pay $800 a month for two adults and two children.

Thanks to Obama care last years policy which was about $300 less was canceled, not only did my rates go up but so did my deductibles AND coverage went down. Affordable healthcare my ass.

I'm aware of two very able body people who choose not to work who get free medical, dental and vision! better coverage than I have and brag about this fact. Told them both that they disgust me. I work hard (as many of us do) to support a family and I got hosed by "affordable" healthcare.

Last edited by qingguy; 07-26-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
About $550/mo. That includes medical and a dental policy that is absolutely worthless. I pay more for the dental policy than I would pay in cash for the services it covers, but I have to have it to cover the kids I don't have, or pay the Obamacare tax, which would be more than the policy costs.

That $550 only covers me, btw. My girlfriend bought the same policies. So we're paying just about as much for our health insurance as we are for the house we're renting, and her kids even aren't on her policy.

No employer contribution here. We own the company we work for, and I looked into having the company buy the policies. If we went that route, it would be costing us three times as much for the exact same insurance policies.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:17 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
I opted out of company policy and have Blue shield PPO, $2,000 deductible, not sure what max family is maybe 8,000, $45 co-pay for 3 visits then it's a 80/20 split I believe. Standard coverages I believe, e.g. Son had a 5 hour ER visit, my portion was $1,900.

I pay $800 a month for two adults and two children.
You're getting ripped off by Blue Shield. This math doesn't look right at all... especially for your age. Did you comparison shop? We're older than you and pay $650 for both of us and have a $500 deductible for our PPO and $15 co-pays. Perhaps it's because of your kids, but it still doesn't look right.

Go switch to Sierra Health and Life's "My SHL Solutions PPO Gold 2". Same plan as ours and the family deductible is only $1000 for all of you. You can comparison shop at eHealthinsurance.com

Old 07-26-2014, 04:27 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
I just went with Sierra health platinum for my wife...best you can get.... no other chic (cancer) and we need to be able to go anywhere. $405 a month. For me same but higher copay deducts etc... $140 mo. Through the employer

Old 07-26-2014, 04:31 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
You're getting ripped off by Blue Shield. This math doesn't look right at all... especially for your age. Did you comparison shop? We're older than you and pay $650 for both of us and have a $500 deductible for our PPO and $15 co-pays. Perhaps it's because of your kids, but it still doesn't look right.

Go switch to Sierra Health and Life's "My SHL Solutions PPO Gold 2". Same plan as ours and the family deductible is only $1000 for all of you. You can comparison shop at eHealthinsurance.com
Sierra just changed the rates effective 8/1

Old 07-26-2014, 05:23 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Sierra just changed the rates effective 8/1
Yep, just saw that. The plan went up about $15/mo. for two people. It's still a much better deal than what qinguy is currently getting.

We've found some great doctors in their network too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas