Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:07 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,257 times

Advertisements

So I have been looking on alot of websites for the local police departments in Las Vegas and I have noticed something peculiar. Most of the police departments advertise that no social security deductions will be taken from employees paychecks.

Exact words from Metro's page:
"Nevada has no state income tax and employees do not pay social security taxes"

North Las Vegas:
"No social security deductions will be made from your paycheck and you will not pay state income tax."

It is not only police departments, I have noticed many employers who claim to not deduct social security taxes. For example, sunrise Hospital advertises that employees are not taxed for social security taxes.

I contacted HR after seeing that they were not taken from my first paycheck and the lady who took my call stated that some employers do not deduct. Many employers cover the employee's share of the tax. Is there anyone on here who is having the same experience? I amcurious to see what industries in Nevada do not require the employees to pay their share. My next door neighbor is a CPA and he said that many employers get a break by paying their employee's share due to the gaming taxes.

Last edited by cjski21; 10-19-2007 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 03:13 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
The only places that normally don't pull out deductions for social security are government jobs that provide government pensions in lieu of social security (why do you think the senators don't care that social security is going to run out? They don't need it....). Metro may have such a pension in lieu of social security, but I've never heard of a private sector employer not deducting FICA- if they don't it's only the employees who are getting screwed in the long run.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:16 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
So I have been looking on alot of websites for the local police departments in Las Vegas and I have noticed something peculiar. Most of the police departments advertise that no social security deductions will be taken from employees paychecks.

Exact words from Metro's page:
"Nevada has no state income tax and employees do not pay social security taxes"

North Las Vegas:
"No social security deductions will be made from your paycheck and you will not pay state income tax."

It is not only police departments, I have noticed many employers who claim to not deduct social security taxes. For example, sunrise mountain advertises that employees are not taxed for social security taxes.

I contacted HR after seeing that they were not taken from my first paycheck and the lady who took my call stated that some employers do not deduct. Many employers cover the employee's share of the tax. Is there anyone on here who is having the same experience? I amcurious to see what industries in Nevada do not require the employees to pay their share. My next door neighbor is a CPA and he said that many employers get a break by paying their employee's share due to the gaming taxes.
i don't pay SS, however i am required to pay into a retirement fund about the same amount i would pay in tax. the nice thing is that we can put more into the fund if we want, and we get to choose the type of fund/funds we want. of course, there is always the risk of losing what we put in if we make bad choices, but hey, its vegas! (in a way, it is just a more efficient, less risky form of gambling...and if you want, you can go w/ really low risk, low growth options)

Old 10-19-2007, 03:17 PM

that makes sense, thanks. We do have a pension so that does make sense. I wish they could explain it that well instead of all this government jargon.

Oh and look on the bright side guiness, if you do lose it all, there is a job waiting for you at Walmart. Welcome to Walmart, have a nice day.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:36 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
What no Social Security deductions????

Does anyone know a safe area of LV that has a rent payment of $700 - $1000, with good schools, low traffic and nice places to walk. Uhhh, I'm thinking of moving there.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:33 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
What no Social Security deductions????

Does anyone know a safe area of LV that has a rent payment of $700 - $1000, with good schools, low traffic and nice places to walk. Uhhh, I'm thinking of moving there.
this place will eat you alive and steal your soul, then make you buy it back + a finders fee

....and that's before the hookers get their hands on you

Old 10-19-2007, 05:48 PM

207 posts, read 907,186 times
This was confusing to me at first and I still haven't had my employee benefits briefing so I can't explain much but the program is called PERS. It's a pretty sweet deal if you are planning on being here for awhile and has some awesome advantages like paying cash for the last years of your retirement to retire early. If you wanted to retire at 26 years instead of 30, you can pay for the last 4 years and claim the same benefits. Plus, which system do you think is still going to be around when it's time for you to retire, Fed Social Sec or any other retirement system?

It was definitely sweet looking at a whole two deductions of federal income tax and medicare after a military paycheck that looked like a bank robbery in the deductions category.

Last edited by redwhale; 10-19-2007 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 07:14 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
Default Social Security deductions

PERS stands for private employment retirement services and is typical for a police department. I had it when I worked with the police department in Ohio and I have a friend who has it, instead of FICA being pulled for s.s., and she works for a church. Go figure........

Old 10-19-2007, 07:16 PM

I've worked for a few different departments and this is the first time I've had it. I do like it though.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:09 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,030 times
FICA is federal so I would think the employer must/has to be covering this. Although it does give folks 1 more reason to work in Nevada. No State Income Tax and FICA free...big savings compared to other states. Combine that with much lower property tax compared to other states = GOOD LIVING!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas