Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 AM

54 posts, read 66,173 times

Advertisements

I moved here three weeks ago from Miami. Unfortunately did not consider the water quality in LV;
since moving, I have been researching - including past threads on this forum, a water softener and R/o system for under the sink. To complicate things, I am very sensitive to chlorine and have had to get medication from the reaction I have to the high chlorine in the water.

I received prices from Kinetico for an r/o system and a softener - very high
Also prices from Multipure - expensive r/o system and new whole house system but it is a filter and does not soften water.
Called Water-Tec - they do not come to the home so I would have to do it over the telephone.

Any other suggestions.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie512 View Post
I moved here three weeks ago from Miami. Unfortunately did not consider the water quality in LV;
since moving, I have been researching - including past threads on this forum, a water softener and R/o system for under the sink. To complicate things, I am very sensitive to chlorine and have had to get medication from the reaction I have to the high chlorine in the water.

Also prices from Multipure - expensive r/o system and new whole house system but it is a filter and does not soften water.
Called Water-Tec - they do not come to the home so I would have to do it over the telephone.

Any other suggestions.

Thank you.
Diamond Water (702) 243-9400

These systems aren't cheap, though.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,039,482 times
Quote:
Any other suggestions.
Considering the initial RO system cost, pre-filter and RO element replacement cost, the potential for water leak damage, and loss of under-sink storage space . . purchasing gallon jugs of water may not actually be a bad alternative.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:36 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
In Las Vegas, if ya can't SEE it or CHEW it it ain't really water....but thats true for MOST of the desert southwest....

Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,870 times
What is your budget for this expense?

I suggest good old fashioned Sears. They have capable systems without all of the mystery. We bought ours 8 years ago and we had no idea what we were doing. We rented a house prior which had a Sears unit where I learned how to do basic maintenance. When the sales person came and made the pitch for our home unit, she could of been selling me junk, I wouldn't of known it. Back then it cost $3600 for the softener and kitchen R/O system. I have a feeling we got ripped off because when I started to back out against my spouse's wishes, the sales person started pushing papers for us to sign. In hindsight I think a Sears unit for a third of the price would of sufficed.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:15 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,287 times
Has anyone considered one of the inexpensive filtration systems that attach to the kitchen faucet?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Has anyone considered one of the inexpensive filtration systems that attach to the kitchen faucet?
Those are good for drinking/cooking but do nothing for the contaminants on your skin via the shower/tub. I find Vegas water very drying. Our reasoning for getting a whole house system was for protection of the pipes from hard water, less contaminants on our skin and the savings in money from being able to use less cleansers to combat the harsh water. Soft water affords us to spend less money on soaps and cleaning supplies because you use less and don't have to scrub showers and sinks due to residue.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:07 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
IMHO, best deal on water softeners is still Sears; but I no longer recommend their R/O systems since my last one crashed and burned. It lasted a long time, but when it started leaking I called the parts store in Henderson and they told me it was cheaper to buy a new one. They were right.

Then I discovered from Consumer Reports that the Whirlpool Model WHER25, from Lowe's is highly rated.

Nothing really wrong with the Sears R/O System except it was always a chore to change the filters. That was something they told me that had also changed. But I still listened to Consumer Reports and got the Whirlpool at Lowe's for $157.83 with tax. For plumbing repairs, we most always call Las Vegas Prestige Plumbing, so we had them install it. That was $127.50. I might have had him do something else while he was here. They had also installed the water softener but that was a few years ago.

The filters for the Whirpool are a little more expensive, but I believe they last longer. I think you only change them every six months.

I'm sure I'll get negative opinions about this, but I highly recommend subscribing to Consumer Reports On-Line, especially for new home owners. For the magazines, go to your nearest lie-berry.

By the way, the best tasting water we have in this house comes out of the Samsung fridge.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
What is your budget for this expense?

I suggest good old fashioned Sears. They have capable systems without all of the mystery. We bought ours 8 years ago and we had no idea what we were doing. We rented a house prior which had a Sears unit where I learned how to do basic maintenance. When the sales person came and made the pitch for our home unit, she could of been selling me junk, I wouldn't of known it. Back then it cost $3600 for the softener and kitchen R/O system. I have a feeling we got ripped off because when I started to back out against my spouse's wishes, the sales person started pushing papers for us to sign. In hindsight I think a Sears unit for a third of the price would of sufficed.
You did get ripped off. Never let a salesman into your home. Sears is the best deal you'll find, and they have a very good product. And I'm pretty sure ours was a lot less than $1200 installed. Many years ago we had fewer choices. They would install one outside your house and you would pay a monthly fee for them to put the salt in it.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Any other suggestions.

Thank you.
By the way, if you are having allergic reactions to Chlorine you'd probably be surprised at how many other things are most likely bothering you that you may not be aware of. My wife and I have had miraculous results form this: NAET Patients Home

I notice that the list of local practitioners doesn't list all of the ones I'm aware of, but you can find one on this site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas