Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:06 AM

104 posts, read 1,073,671 times

Advertisements

The licensed landscaper I am using told me that 90% of the homeowners in Vegas submit their paperwork for HOA approval for landscaping and then have the work done before approval is received.

Is this true or do I really need to wait the 45 days to get the HOA approval? I am mostly doing cement in the backyard with a small retaining wall for planting.

The landscaper said that they would stand by their project and have never had an HOA complaint and if there were a problem, they would fix it.

I would like to get the cement done before it starts raining again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Some HOAs are real sticklers for the rules, and will order you to stop work in progress if you haven't received approval. Others are more lax, and all kinds of work takes place w/o submission of plans, even though their CC&Rs state you must have approval before starting. In my neighborhood, I would bet fewer than half of the homeowners submit plans before making changes to their landscaping. I had a couple of my neighbors sign my "Neighbor Awareness" form when I converted to desert landscaping, and they were unaware that such a form existed, or that ARC approval was required.

45 days is how long my HOA gives the ARC to respond after their monthly meeting. In my case, I knew the day after they met, because I was appearing before the Compliance Committee, and someone from the HOA mgmt company had been at the ARC meeting and told me my plans were approved. I would think most ARCs can decide pretty quickly whether to approve plans. But they only meet once a month, so if you just miss their meeting, you can wait 30 days for them to even see your plans.

Quote:
Any and all exterior improvements to your property must be submitted to the Architectural Review
Committee (ARC) for review and approval prior to commencement of work.
The following details the procedure for submitting improvements for review by the ARC:

1) Submit one (1) copy of the Architectural Change Request Form, Neighbor Awareness
Letter, and construction drawings to the address listed above. Drawings must include
location and screening of equipment, site plan, setbacks, materials, colors and any
information pertinent to the proposed improvement such as brochures. A photo must
be submitted of the area where the requested changes will be made.

2) Upon review of your plans by the ARC, you will receive written notice of their approval,
rejection, or conditional approval within forty-five (45) days of the meeting.

CONSTRUCTION IS NOT TO BEGIN UNTIL WRITTEN APPROVAL OF PLANS IS OBTAINED BY
THE ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW COMMITTEE.
I'm aware of one HOA where you have to submit a sample of the landscape rock you plan to use, and they have a list of about three approved colors of rock you can use.

Maybe if you mention your location, someone familiar with that HOA will know how strict they are. I wouldn't worry too much about a back yard, especially if it is not visible from the street. Check your CC&Rs for any mention of restrictions on what can be put in your back yard, in case there are limits on percentage of concrete or something like that.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 AM

135 posts, read 293,113 times
Why not call them and ask. They get paid so they should be able to help you. No one is going to know what HOA policies they have unless we live in your community.

I called for my patio and they sent me the form which told me it would take 3-5 days. I went ahead and did pave stone and didn't submit anything. For the patio cover I can understand that it will require permit and HOA approval since it's more visible.

Once again it all depends on your HOA.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,384 times
Most HOA's require approval. With ours you have to submit the request by a certain time and wait over a month to hear back. If you go to the approval meeting you can find out then and there. With the backyard it's a tough call whether or not to get approval. I want to improve my backyard without going through the HOA but I'm afraid that they may look over the wall or use google earth to find out if anything has changed. What if one of my neighbors decides to complain for whatever reason?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 PM

On one of the HOA forms it says I must submit my request before work is to begin. On another part of their documentation it says I need to get approval before starting the work. Confusing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Most HOA's require approval. With ours you have to submit the request by a certain time and wait over a month to hear back. If you go to the approval meeting you can find out then and there. With the backyard it's a tough call whether or not to get approval. I want to improve my backyard without going through the HOA but I'm afraid that they may look over the wall or use google earth to find out if anything has changed. What if one of my neighbors decides to complain for whatever reason?
I have gotten the Neighbor Awareness form signed by my 2 side and 1 rear neighbors, and they don't have a problem with the plans.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:43 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,535 times
I bought a house with grass, and wanted to change to desert landscaping. I was only in town for 3 weeks, and wanted to get it converted so that I wouldn't have to deal with the grass. I did the approval form with the neighbors, and dealt with a landscaper that promised the same thing yours did. I went ahead and had it done. No problems.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:13 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,987,956 times
When you submit your request, do a LAUNDRY LIST of everything you might possibly want to do in the future. I still have approval for stained concrete, even though I haven't bothered. If I ever get a wild hair to stain my driveway and walk, it's pre-approved.

I would ask for an outdoor kitchen, fruit trees, stained concrete, raised garden, stucco privacy wall, and on and on and on. Just go sick with the requests. It's unlikely they'll deny the request. Then you're good to go on future projects. Saves a lot of hassle.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:32 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
I'm on the Arch Committee in our HOA (which is very small). If we didn't approve your project you'd have to undo it. Why take the chance? The landscaper has nothing to lose. He just wants to get your money before you change your mind.

That said, we nearly always (but not always) take the attitude that if it's in your back yard and can't be seen from the street then it's your business. We'd only say no if it would change the style of the neighborhood too much, or if it would make the property too undesirable for resale which would lower everyone else's property values.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
When you submit your request, do a LAUNDRY LIST of everything you might possibly want to do in the future. I still have approval for stained concrete, even though I haven't bothered. If I ever get a wild hair to stain my driveway and walk, it's pre-approved.

I would ask for an outdoor kitchen, fruit trees, stained concrete, raised garden, stucco privacy wall, and on and on and on. Just go sick with the requests. It's unlikely they'll deny the request. Then you're good to go on future projects. Saves a lot of hassle.
That's a great idea... among other things, I like the stained concrete option, but just don't want to do it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'm on the Arch Committee in our HOA (which is very small). If we didn't approve your project you'd have to undo it. Why take the chance? The landscaper has nothing to lose. He just wants to get your money before you change your mind.

That said, we nearly always (but not always) take the attitude that if it's in your back yard and can't be seen from the street then it's your business. We'd only say no if it would change the style of the neighborhood too much, or if it would make the property too undesirable for resale which would lower everyone else's property values.
I understand. I am only doing concrete and a small retaining wall with about 7 - 5 gallon plants (including a lime tree, I hope it grows well), so it's nothing drastic or undesirable. Very simple and low maintenance is what I want.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:45 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,689 times
personally I would wait OP... it's not that long to ensure no issues with the HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas