Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,830,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
CQ, CQ, come in lvoc: Do you use some kind of DX equipment for the 65 TV signals?

(No I don't know code, only a couple of things I picked up from a heck of a ham operator that was my mentor in broadcasting. And I suppose if the florescent lights go on in my garage I'll know you got your antenna back up.)
The TV antenna is simply one of those array dudes commonly sold in big box stores (like the technical talk - array dude..and I often call things gizmos comes from 40 years in the electronics business) . I actually have a rotator for it But everything works well enough pointed at black mountain that I never bothered. It is about 5 or 6 feet above the roof pointing at BM.

I doubt I am very good at code anymore. When I took the tests I could do 15 or 18 wpm but probably more like 5 or 8 now. I still hear the characters but not very fast.

I doubt I ever point your way and I use a very directional antenna. 90% to the west 10% to the east and practically never any other direction. The antenna is very directional...most of the energy goes the way it is pointed and at a shallow angle so it will hopefully bounce off the ionosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,874,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
CQ, CQ, come in lvoc: Do you use some kind of DX equipment for the 65 TV signals?
65 channels doesn't mean receiving 65 different frequencies. Digital TV broadcasts may have eight or more subchannels. For instance, channel 47 broadcasts something like eight SD subchannels. An indoor antenna pointed at Black Mtn should receive around 30 TV channels from fewer than a dozen or so unique RF channels. I believe all the major network affiliates broadcast two additional subchannels, except for Fox, which has just one, for 24 hour weather.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:48 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,353,403 times
Speaking of AM - I used to have a night job in Indian Springs. FM reception out there was almost nothing with the low-budget radio we had. AM stations, we could pick up from all over the west (LA, Frisco, Denver, Casper) but not a single Las Vegas station came in.

Regarding signals - ESPN Radio locally added an FM signal, but it is so weak I can't pick it up anywhere in the city without it constantly breaking up. Don't know why they bothered.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,345,228 times
I always download the podcast of radio that I am interested. That way, I will have radio that I like when I want it.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,150,469 times
Radio nerds. Gotta love 'em. My mentor is a HAM radio nut. Back when I was an EMT(when dinosaurs roamed the earth) we had to learn where all the repeaters were and such to make sure we could get a signal out at the speedway, the BMX track, etc.

We are all showing our age talking about radio anyway. The kids just bring their I-Pods.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:26 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,086,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
We are all showing our age talking about radio anyway. The kids just bring their I-Pods.
I have about 10,000 mp3s although I don't own an iPod. It gets monotonous listening to the same thing all the time. Internet radio is where it's at IMO but you do have to have a new(ish) receiver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas