Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,136,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I didn't realize that I lived in a dangerous area that people should avoid at all costs.
Yup, those Spanish Trails types are the worst. I hear they sometimes leave their Mercedes' parked in the DRIVEWAY. What a bunch of criminals.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,590,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Summerlin is just too mainstream. Henderson also. New people hear about these places before they even move hear. But that's the problem. It is not exclusive. With the exception of a few highly gated/private communities, anyone and everyone has access to these places. From Joe the drug dealer to James the plastic surgeon. The last 3 strippers I met, lived in good ole Summerlin.
You make a good point about Summerlin being mainstream. It was the very first neighborhood in Vegas outside the strip I had heard about. It was also the first neighborhood I went to, worked in, and I was even lucky enough to live in Summerlin my last few weeks in Las Vegas. Although I will say I don't get the Snobby part of it, I never met any snobby Summerlin people most of them were pretty friendly. Summerlin is a really wonderful community with lots to offer, but as with everything else in life, it is not for everybody

And to MadMan, my bad for leaving out Spanish Trail of course that area is not dangerous. I have a general rule about good Vegas neighborhoods

If its, north of Craig, west of Rainbow, and south of Tropicana, it is safe. The rest, make sure you have a pissed off look on your face and make eye contact at your own peril

PS Von, the hipsters of Las Vegas will agree with you about Summerlin being too mainstream. They can afford to live there but they don't because its so mainstream out there

Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,506,290 times
By the time you get there all the geeks will have been replaced by hedge fund managers and real estate developers. The geeks will have moved to Vegas (or Bakersfield), because the can afford to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
What I dislike about Las Vegas has nothing to do with where I live. My house is fantastic. I have a great view. It's quiet.

My neighbors leave something to be desired. But so do my aunt's and she lives directly across the valley from me up against the Spring Mountains.

You could put me in any house in Las Vegas and I still wouldn't like it here. I'm a square peg in this town. I like small seaside communities that are populated primarily by geeks. That's what does it for me. And as soon as we no longer have to take care of family, I'm moving straightaway to a small seaside community that is filled with geeks. With luck, lots of people there play musical instruments and restore old cars and build boats and collect books and appreciate the arts. That's the sort of place where I'm a round peg.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
By the time you get there all the geeks will have been replaced by hedge fund managers and real estate developers. The geeks will have moved to Vegas (or Bakersfield), because the can afford to live there.

Geeks already rule the world. The richest people in the world are all geeks. Most politicians are geeks -- the successful ones, anyway. The most affluent areas of the world are populated primarily by geeks. Apparently, geeks are the only ones who can wrap their heads around the power of compound interest.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:37 PM

I'm not sure of your definition of geekhood. From some of your previous posts, you seem to be looking for the artisan class. I don't know if by the definition I'm used to, these would be considered geeks.

Certainly most of the artisan class does not do that well. The bulk of people who live by their own craftsmanship, unless they get famous for it, can only make so much money, because they live by their own labor. To get rich enough to afford the areas you talk about, you need to be marshalling the labor or others to your benefit (for instance, the geek who starts his own tech company and has few hundred employees.) The people working with their hands can't do this.

Strangely, the one place where someone in the artisan class can live well is Vegas, because it's cheap enough.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm not sure of your definition of geekhood. From some of your previous posts, you seem to be looking for the artisan class. I don't know if by the definition I'm used to, these would be considered geeks.
There are computer geeks, music geeks, car geeks, theater geeks, wine geeks (the entire town of Napa, for instance), and geeks in all walks of life.

Geekery is sort of like art -- you can't define it, but you know it when you see it. I think the hallmark of being a geek is intellectual curiosity. Geeks like to take things apart and put them back together, experiment, and generally see what makes the world tick.

And Las Vegas is pretty-much the worst city on Earth for the intellectually curious. Sure, there are plenty of geeks in this city. I don't meet many of them, though.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:36 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,136,470 times
Quote:
There are computer geeks, music geeks, car geeks, theater geeks, wine geeks (the entire town of Napa, for instance), and geeks in all walks of life.

Geekery is sort of like art -- you can't define it, but you know it when you see it. I think the hallmark of being a geek is intellectual curiosity. Geeks like to take things apart and put them back together, experiment, and generally see what makes the world tick.

And Las Vegas is pretty-much the worst city on Earth for the intellectually curious. Sure, there are plenty of geeks in this city. I don't meet many of them, though.

I don't know if I can agree with that statement. Of course, I've been in healthcare and IT for the last couple of decades and both fields are swarming with geeks so my experiences are different than yours. Even my Vegas-raised children though, show lots of intellectual curiosity. The youngest goes nuts when speaking about GMO foods and the corporate farming industry, and the eldest never met a subject he didn't want to dissect. I've had to break up arguments between them. About theoretical physics.

It is somewhat difficult to meet people here, so if your job doesn't afford you the opportunity to meet like-minded individuals then you really have to make an effort at it, and most of us are too tired at the end of a work day to be bothered to expend the energy.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:44 PM

OK, in my experience, LV is the worst city for geeks. [mod cut-- off topic]

Last edited by observer53; 12-04-2012 at 04:18 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,830,370 times
Quote:
OK, in my experience, LV is the worst city for geeks. London is the best.
Have to agree that Vegas doesn't attract a lot of geeks at the moment. But that could change if the Valley builds some first-class technology parks and high-tech businesses move here. [mod cut-- response to deleted portion of post]
As I see, Vegas has as its core entertainment and shopping but it is a perfect place for expanding into high technology.

Last edited by observer53; 12-04-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 AM

That's fine, as far as it goes. But we're talking RE here, so how does this translate?

Some geeks do better than others. The ones who's geekhood takes them into highly marketable fields (computer, genetics, etc) do well. So they either get to live where they want, and/or the areas where they congregate (ie like Silicon Valley) get very expensive.

If your geekiness expresses itself in not as marketable ways, your a working stiff like everyone else, and have to slug it out for a place to live (like everyone else)

Going back to the places you've talked about in the past. They all tend to be high lux, very desireable areas, so only people who have the coin get to live there. So, you may get the marketable geeks, you'll also get the other types of people who make big bux. So in the end, it's really all about the money.

I know you've been feverishly saving to fund your escape from Vegas. I don't know if your planning to work, or retire (I have no clue how old you are.) But even if you have the money to buy a house in an area you want, you'll probably have to work (and maybe your a$$ off) depending where you end up. Maybe you're okay with that.

Personally, I want to end up somewhere where I can live well, don't have to bust my a$$ to fund my lifestyle, and has stuff I want to do. Vegas fits that bill.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas