Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times

Advertisements

Don't know how many of you even look at the "Nevada" page so I'd like to post this here for the benefit of new or prospective Las Vegans if that's OK.

When they think of gold mining, I'd guess most people picture an old prospector leading a burro with a pick and shovel over his shoulder. Well, there are still a lot of small mines all around Las Vegas as well as in every corner of the state; but did you know that Nevada has the second largest gold mine in the world?

This article says it is 1,000 square miles, but I suspect that means the Cortez Mining District is 1,000 square miles, not the actual mine; although in a state as big as Nevada that's certainly possible. But a little more research can answer that. Anyway, the second highest employment in Nevada, after the service industry, comes from mining. Just about every mineral known to man is mined in Nevada.

Journey to jewelry takes millions of years and dollars - Business - ReviewJournal.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 02:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times
I think half of my in-laws are in some type of mining in Nevada. Mostly in the Elko area. None of them make less than 6 figures and they all have been doing it for nearly a decade or more.

Every couple of years a precious metal deposit is discovered on an Indian reservation somewhere in Nevada and that always add to the jobs needed.

I only know of water well drilling and precious metal mining in the state. Only heard rumors of oil drilling.

This would be my plan "C" if I were to ever get out of the military. In-laws always asking me to come give it a try. Plus working 12+ hours a day in the mine fields beats 12+ hours a day in Afghanistan. Earlier this year I sent my résumé to an HM for one of the companies that are associated with the mines. They asked when I could start.

Still got two years on my contract...

On a side note I was always thinking that this field of work would have been of interest to LVD and maybe Davie. The salary, even if it was for one full year, would definitely give them a financial boost. But I never got around to asking them.

Sent from cell...

Old 09-25-2012, 02:54 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
I am sure mining pays pretty well...but the downside is when there is a cave-in and everyone dies waiting to be rescued. Not sure I like that part.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:16 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
the second highest employment in Nevada, after the service industry, comes from mining. Just about every mineral known to man is mined in Nevada.

where do I sign up?

Old 09-25-2012, 03:22 PM

There is risk with a lot of high paying jobs. Even a judge has to worry about a convicted Felon coming back after being sentenced or a lawyer having to worry about a defendant feeling like he was misrepresented.

If people were scared of every single risk, nothing would ever get accomplished.

Imagine if every 18 year old thought he/she was going to get shot if they joined the military?

Sent from cell...

Old 09-25-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
where do I sign up?
Probably the only job related thing that Craigslist is good for. Type in mining under the entire state of Nevada. You will see all sorts of desperate recruiters looking to fill positions. Some recruiters are even located in Canada and Australia looking for oil field workers in the US.

A guy I know that got kicked out the Air Force went to Australia for a job because he could not find anything local that was paying what he wanted. He is a FB "friend" that is always posting new toys(4 wheelers, bikes, cars,boats, houses) every couple of months or so. I guess he is doing well, or at least making good money.

He got hire from a recruiter that he found on CL.

Sent from cell...

Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
There is risk with a lot of high paying jobs. Even a judge has to worry about a convicted Felon coming back after being sentenced or a lawyer having to worry about a defendant feeling like he was misrepresented.

If people were scared of every single risk, nothing would ever get accomplished.

Imagine if every 18 year old thought he/she was going to get shot if they joined the military?

Sent from cell...
Do you always take everything so seriously?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Do you always take everything so seriously?
I don't take anything online serious. It's all entertainment.

Sent from cell...

Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
A lot of the gold mining in NV is open pit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I am sure mining pays pretty well...but the downside is when there is a cave-in and everyone dies waiting to be rescued. Not sure I like that part.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
I can't say for sure but think hard rock mining might not be as dangerous as coal mining as far as explosions from methane gas and cave ins are concerned. I know I'm a little claustrophobic so glad I didn't go into the mines in West Virginia. I went with our news people to cover a mine disaster once and it wasn't a pretty picture. As a youngster in the 60's, my buddy and I went down in a gold mine to take ore samples down in El Dorado Canyon. It was insane of us to do that. The former owner had gotten drunk and set off 21 sticks of dynamite down there all at once and blew out the ladder and hoist. We used a rope to get in and out of the shaft. It went straight down about two levels, then tunneled out from the shaft. We saw the wires leading to where he had placed dynamite and later someone said you can't set off that much dynamite at once, so some of those wires probably had sticks attached that hadn't exploded. But it was covered with dirt and we couldn't see it. We were there to see if we should pursue acquiring the mine for a penny stock corporation he and his father had going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas