Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 7,412 times

Advertisements

I operate a home based, online business, so the Vegas job market is irrelevant.

I'm in my early thirties and single.

I'm also a musician, and I really enjoy live music of any genre.

Basically, at this point in my life, I'm just looking to enjoy myself, and someone suggested I look into Vegas. I say this reluctantly, because I don't want to sound like a braggart, but for the sake of getting advice tailored for me, it's important that I state that money isn't an issue.

I like to live in a safe area, but not a retirement community.

I've never been to Vegas, but it was on my list of places to vacation.

I guess I ultimately want to know what would be available to me based on the things I mentioned about myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
You won't know till you go.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 AM

611 posts, read 951,288 times
Music...ah....this would be the place. There are local bands playing everywhere, every night, in every neighborhood and on the Strip and Fremont St. There are three stages with cover bands that play downtown/Fremont. There are lots of shows for someone your age at The Joint at Hard Rock, House of Blues at Mandalay Bay, and at pubs/clubs in outlying areas wherever you move. For example, Pennywise will be playing Oct 12th at HOB! As you know, all the superbands appear in Vegas too! I was so excited when my hubby bought me tix to see KISS and Arrowsmith together at the MGM Grand Arena a few years back. Other recent ops I attended at The Joint were Santana and then Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire together. Guns and Roses have a scheduled show too now. You may want to google Electric Daisy Festival and Punk Rock Bowling Festival to name a few music festivals. I know there is a huge country music following here too but I don't know anything about that genre.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
While you said "any genre," what kind of music do you like best? Classic rock? Well, this is probably your town. Classical? Not so much. (It exists here. But not like elsewhere.)

The live music scene is one of the few things I enjoy about the valley. Not only does EVERYONE play here, the venues are small -- except MGM and Mandalay. And some of the venues have EXCELLENT acoustics. The Pearl Theater at the Palms, in particular.

For me, it doesn't balance out all the negative things about living here. But it's something.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarrowingTheOptions View Post
I've never been to Vegas
10101 zip code in your profile indicates you presently reside in Manhattan. [mod cut-- rude] Only YOU can determine what location is suitable for your criteria.

Last edited by observer53; 09-07-2012 at 11:53 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 7,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
10101 zip code in your profile indicates you presently reside in Manhattan. Only YOU can determine what location is suitable for your criteria.
Eh?

I don't live in Vegas, and there is a level of understanding that you can't get simply by visiting. Base on what I stated in the OP, I'm expecting for members of this forum to give their opinions, and from that, I will decide whether it's worth to take it a step further and make a trip out.

I love live music, and if a dozen people tell me the music scene is crappy, then there is a pretty good chance that it is.

My thread...

...let me do this.

Besides, it doesn't matter where I'm from. If someone is looking to leave there town/city then they obviously have their own reasons for wanting to do so.

Last edited by observer53; 09-07-2012 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,318 times
culture... Las Vegas is severely lacking if you are used to west coast or NY based culture of entertainment, but it is changing here.

it will never be able to offer the quantity or the quality of an LA or a NY, but there is A LOT to do here without a doubt.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:11 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarrowingTheOptions View Post
I operate a home based, online business, so the Vegas job market is irrelevant.

I'm in my early thirties and single.

I'm also a musician, and I really enjoy live music of any genre.

Basically, at this point in my life, I'm just looking to enjoy myself, and someone suggested I look into Vegas. I say this reluctantly, because I don't want to sound like a braggart, but for the sake of getting advice tailored for me, it's important that I state that money isn't an issue.

I like to live in a safe area, but not a retirement community.

I've never been to Vegas, but it was on my list of places to vacation.

I guess I ultimately want to know what would be available to me based on the things I mentioned about myself.
You need to at least come visit first. There are lots of musicians here by the way.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Do you like a medium to high density but suburban lifestyle (meaning you'll be driving everywhere)? If you're good with that, you'll be good with Vegas. If you want more rural, you go live outside the immediate metro area. If you want real city living, fughettaboudit.

I agree with the other posters. Take a trip there, rent a car, and get off the strip. You might even be better off staing at a off strip hotel, out in metro area. Would give you a bit better taste of the locals lifestyle.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:48 PM

402 posts, read 745,963 times
Fwiw, I like the Nashville and Austin music scenes better than the Vegas scene and I don't care for country music. Visit your top 3 potential locations and pick what suits you best. Austin is typically a younger crowd than the other two (it is a college town and a technology bed). Nashville is pretty diverse though. Also, the job market may not affect you personally, but it does affect whether or not people go out to these places and whether or not the places stay in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: