Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,089,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Outback isn't dining, it's just eating, and serves it's purpose.
This is where we diverge. We get roughly 75,000 meals* in our lifetime. Make 'em count. (Also, in order for us to live, other things have to die. Even a vegan meal isn't consequence-free -- animals died when the plants were harvested. So, making meals count works from that perspective also. But I'm fine with the "eat as well as you can because you only get so many meals" angle.)

* And let's face it, unless a kid has a developed palate and parents who are decent cooks, the first 15,000 meals or so are just sustenance. The last 15,000 meals or so are just sustenance, because the old digestive system cannot handle the same food as the young digestive system. So that's 45,000 meals in an adult life. Why squander one on Outback, McDonald's, or Hot Pockets? But then again, I LIKE to cook. I never "don't feel like cooking."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,220,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This is where we diverge. We get roughly 75,000 meals* in our lifetime. Make 'em count. (Also, in order for us to live, other things have to die. Even a vegan meal isn't consequence-free -- animals died when the plants were harvested. So, making meals count works from that perspective also. But I'm fine with the "eat as well as you can because you only get so many meals" angle.)

* And let's face it, unless a kid has a developed palate and parents who are decent cooks, the first 15,000 meals or so are just sustenance. The last 15,000 meals or so are just sustenance, because the old digestive system cannot handle the same food as the young digestive system. So that's 45,000 meals in an adult life. Why squander one on Outback, McDonald's, or Hot Pockets? But then again, I LIKE to cook. I never "don't feel like cooking."
I like to cook too. Just not every day after working for ten hours. We eat out maybe every two months. This recipe below is one of my faves, but we grow our own tomatoes and basil, so your mileage may vary with the supermarket stuff. You need very good balsamic for this. I reduce the glaze and serve it as a sauce over mashed potatoes that I use a ricer for.

Balsamic-Glazed Ribeye with Pan-Grilled Tomatoes and*Basil - BrokeAss Gourmet

My brats have well-developed and unfortunately, expensive palates. One of them is a student at the CIA in New York and works at Bouchon for his internship.

Sometimes though, a quick steak and a little salad that I didn't have to prepare or clean up after fits the bill. I'm a foodie, but not a food snob, well, except for coffee. I'm a Primadonna about that.

And of course, Scoop, I don't want to argue with you as you are one of my favorite posters. I will however, cook you a great steak if you are ever so inclined. We'll skip the Outback that night .

Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I like to cook too. Just not every day after working for ten hours. We eat out maybe every two months. This recipe below is one of my faves, but we grow our own tomatoes and basil, so your mileage may vary with the supermarket stuff. You need very good balsamic for this. I reduce the glaze and serve it as a sauce over mashed potatoes that I use a ricer for.

Balsamic-Glazed Ribeye with Pan-Grilled Tomatoes and Basil - BrokeAss Gourmet

My brats have well-developed and unfortunately, expensive palates. One of them is a student at the CIA in New York and works at Bouchon for his internship.

Sometimes though, a quick steak and a little salad that I didn't have to prepare or clean up after fits the bill. I'm a foodie, but not a food snob, well, except for coffee. I'm a Primadonna about that.

And of course, Scoop, I don't want to argue with you as you are one of my favorite posters. I will however, cook you a great steak if you are ever so inclined. We'll skip the Outback that night .
I think we basically agree. But the whole "cleanup's a *****" thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's all about cooking smart. I can whip up a steak dinner, with twice baked potatoes* and creamed spinach and use a grand total of three plates, two wine glasses, knives and forks, one small pot, a whisk, a wooden spoon, and a pair of tongs. If you want béarnaise with that, I'll need to add a bowl to the list. I can hand wash all of the above in a couple minutes.

* I cheat here. I have them in the freezer at all times. They're a chore to make, so I do them 24 at a time and freeze them.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I think we basically agree. But the whole "cleanup's a *****" thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's all about cooking smart. I can whip up a steak dinner, with twice baked potatoes* and creamed spinach and use a grand total of three plates, two wine glasses, knives and forks, one small pot, a whisk, a wooden spoon, and a pair of tongs. If you want béarnaise with that, I'll need to add a bowl to the list. I can hand wash all of the above in a couple minutes.

* I cheat here. I have them in the freezer at all times. They're a chore to make, so I do them 24 at a time and freeze them.
I'm a good cook, not a great cook. My kitchen tends to get messy when cooking for 4-6 people. It seems I can never time the sides to finish at the right time.

I do however make my own chicken stock from garden ingredients and five pounds of chicken bones. It goes in the freezer like your twice baked potatoes.

Now I'm getting hungry...

Old 07-26-2012, 04:06 PM

9,376 posts, read 12,001,210 times
Inability to pay is a biggie. Then there are those who are not concerned with having the "best" food for those 45,000 meals. Just not an issue. There are those who would rather spend their time and money on the best wine or the best clothing or the best vehicles or the best house...you get it...to each their own, I guess. Some I understand, most I don't. Maybe when I have no taste buds I will wish I would have spent more time and money on it, but most likely I won't remember it all anyway!

Let's just say, if after all the bills are paid your grocery fund to feed a family of 6 is $100. for the week....tough to go real good.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I
Let's just say, if after all the bills are paid your grocery fund to feed a family of 6 is $100. for the week....tough to go real good.
Hi Kimba,

I have some good, inexpensive recipes and some helpful links. Hit me up on DM. Especially if you are not afraid of Mexican markets.

El Super has five pounds of melons for a dollar and chicken drumsticks for 67 cents a pound. 30 eggs for
$ 2.49. 3 pounds of bell peppers for a dollar and 4 pounds of potatoes and onions for the same buck. Albertsons has chicken breasts for 99 cents a pound.

It's not fine dining, but tasty and healthy..

Old 07-26-2012, 04:40 PM

9,376 posts, read 12,001,210 times
Quote:
Hi Kimba,

I have some good, inexpensive recipes and some helpful links. Hit me up on DM. Especially if you are not afraid of Mexican markets.

El Super has five pounds of melons for a dollar and chicken drumsticks for 67 cents a pound. 30 eggs for
$ 2.49. 3 pounds of bell peppers for a dollar and 4 pounds of potatoes and onions for the same buck. Albertsons has chicken breasts for 99 cents a pound.

Thanks! It is hypothetical now. Wasn't always, though. But, those recipes still could come in handy!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Hi Kimba,

This.

King Ranch hasn't been worth it since they changed their name to Marketon. Liborio isn't as good as they used to be. But El Super still stocks very good quality poultry and produce at low prices. I wouldn't buy any fish or red meat there. But for poultry and produce, they're among the best in the valley.

And that's the thing. You CAN have low prices and high quality. But you have to shop around a bit. If Market 168, International Marketplace, Seafood City, Greenland, and Jones Market aren't on your usual market rotation, you should at least check them out.

PS -- And inexpensive groceries from El Super can absolutely be fine dining. For roughly $5 at El Super, I can make chicken kiev, wilted greens and potatoes anna for four people. It's the unwillingness to settle for ho-hum when a little more effort yields superior results.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 PM

11,194 posts, read 16,119,446 times
Quote:
What I cannot understand for the life of me is a statement such as, "I don't feel like paying for a good meal at Carnevino. Let's go to Outback instead." Someone has the means and the opportunity to eat well and instead chooses mediocre? I just can't wrap my head around that.
Well, we all have our own priorities in life. I could afford to eat at Carnevino every night of the week if I so chose. However, food just isn't that important to me. I would never pay hundreds of dollars for one meal. I am perfectly happy eating a Whopper and some fries for dinner. Or even just making sandwich at home or a bowl of cereal. I see food as sustenance, nothing more.

But then again, I like automobiles and just spent $80k+ for a new car a few months ago. Other people see cars as nothing more than a way to get from point A to point B and think that it is utterly ridiculous to spend a great deal of money on a new car when you can can get perfectly good, reliable transportation for under $10k.

To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas