Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM

326 posts, read 682,121 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate and were considering Vegas. My parents are about to retire and looking to move there as well and we'd like to remain semi-close in proximity to them. My husband and I are currently Federal Employees and we know jobs are a big deal and wouldn't make the move until we've secured employment. He's a prior Marine Vet and very, "well make it work where ever we end up." Which is great but I was hoping to get some feedback.

I've seen Henderson listed a few times as a great place for families? Are there any private schools anyone can recommend? My oldest is currently in a small private school and we were hoping to continue that.

Any informaiton would be appreciated...family friendly? Are the people friendly? I, myself, have only ever been on the strip so of course think of Vegas as one thing. However, I'd like to believe that there are great, prospering families out there? Maybe I'm delusional. We love that we'd be a stones throw away from many great National parks and other great states to visit. Being a large family means driving to most destinations as flying is too expensive.

Any feedback would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 AM

74 posts, read 147,979 times
Why don't you take a look at Huntsville, Alabama for Fed jobs since you can get on the plane pretty fast to visit parents. The area is based on Fed jobs big time.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:16 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV2LAS View Post
Why don't you take a look at Huntsville, Alabama for Fed jobs since you can get on the plane pretty fast to visit parents. The area is based on Fed jobs big time.
That doesn't really make any sense for the OP. She already lives in the Mecca for federal employees, the Washington, DC metro area. And it would be quicker and cheaper to fly nonstop from BWI than to fly HSV-->DFW-->LAS.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:00 AM

True on the Mecca...but the "mecca" for families sucks. We were really only considering Vegas b/c my parents were looking to reitre there.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
True on the Mecca...but the "mecca" for families sucks. We were really only considering Vegas b/c my parents were looking to reitre there.
As you can tell from me screen name, I'm very familiar with the Washington, DC area. I lived there for 25 years and couldn't wait to leave when I retired. My last day of work was a Wednesday and I walked out of my office at 1:00pm, headed straight to BWI, and boarded a 4:30pm flight to Vegas.

I didn't reply to your initial post because I know nothing about the schools here, and from your posting history, it appears that you're pretty much set on the Raleigh area anyway. I love the Research Triangle area, btw. My wife and I lived in the Durham/Chapel Hill area for a few years back in the 80s and thought it was beautiful. In fact, Chapel Hill was on our list of possible retirement locations before I talked my wife into Vegas.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 AM

We WERE really set on Raleigh but the word seems to be the only want to hire locals. Which, I totally get and can appreciate..if I were a local?! My next pick was Vegas only because my parents are looking to retire there. However, call me a conspiracy theorist but I worry about the water situation living in the desert.

Schools in Vegas don't seem to get good write ups and whose to say getting a job there would be much better? I know the unemployment is incredibly high there. I was just hoping being that we're already Federal Employees the transfer would be a plus?? I've read lots of nice things about Vegas and the area ...I am just done here in MD.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 AM

23 posts, read 42,803 times
We moved here from Missouri almost exactly a year ago (Family of 5 as well) and schools were my biggest concern. We ended up finding a house here in Henderson and we honestly couldn't be happier. All 3 kids - one in elem, one in middle and one in high school are all doing excellent in public schools.

I don't even realize how close we are to Las Vegas and the strip and we've only been to the strip twice when family wanted to go while visiting. Other than that I don't ever think about the strip. When we first moved in our neighbors automatically came over and welcomed us with open arms and are some of our closest friends which back in Missouri we never knew our neighbors. At the store, they know me by my name and every store we go too the workers and the consumers are smiling and friendly to us all the time.

I don't know much about private schools here but the public schools we got the kids into are fantastic. I know there are several great charter schools around the area as well. Good luck and there's TONS of info here on these boards regarding crime, parks, schools and pretty much anything else you may need.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 AM

293 posts, read 641,848 times
Challenger Private is an academic school with very high standards as they are usually 1-1.5 years ahead of public. As a pre-schooler, my daughter was reading, writing and doing math. Extras there are expensive and very few to choose from. Henderson International is more $$ but they have all sports and clubs and a very nice campus. Academically they are a little above public but it is a better atmosphere than most around. There are plenty to choose from so that gives you 2 to look into.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 AM

700 posts, read 1,330,309 times
America is very homogenized so there will be plenty of McDonalds, Olive Gardens, Bed Bath & Beyonds in the 'burbs just like you have. After living overseas, IMO, school all over America are horrible, it not just Las Vegas. There are private schools here too. The only thing different would be the weather. Secure a job first and it's all the same really.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:14 AM

demoknite- I agree about public schools not being so hot in America- sad state in general. But, that's another topic. I wasn't trying to imply that ONLY Vegas had bad schools though. And yes there will always be McDonalds and the likes anywhere we go but living in the desert, the water issue scares me. Vegas seems to make every list, along with L.A., San Antonio, and others for "running out of water". Obviously not "tomorrow" but the "eventual" is a concern for me.

I've heard awesome things about Henderson for families! I really appreciate the feedback. MyFamilyMove- what do you all do in regards to family fun type stuff in the area? I've read several posts about crime but then when you read through the details it's people saying, "lock your car at night..." We do that anyways but it did sort of make me laugh that people are making a point to comment on crime but follow up wtih "lock your doors." Maybe I'm use to living on the east coast and a suburb of D.C.?? Not sure where people are living that they AREN'T locking their doors...??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas