Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,875,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I wonder why he would put dichlor instead of Liquid? Dichlor is expensive and liquid is cheap.
What's crazier is that when I told him to stop putting in dichlor, he told me he had bleach and would use that instead. But then he still kept throwing dichlor into my pool.

Quote:
You might look into a liquid chlorine dispenser. You can find them online or you can build your own and feed it inline the same way the trichlor puck chlorinators are used.
I've actually had a "The Liquidator" in the garage for like, two years, along with larger diameter hose and fittings so it will feed with low pump head. I've just been too lazy to install it. I wish I had bought the 8 gallon model instead of the 4 gallon though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,723,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
What's crazier is that when I told him to stop putting in dichlor, he told me he had bleach and would use that instead. But then he still kept throwing dichlor into my pool.

I've actually had a "The Liquidator" in the garage for like, two years, along with larger diameter hose and fittings so it will feed with low pump head. I've just been too lazy to install it. I wish I had bought the 8 gallon model instead of the 4 gallon though.
If you intend to use it in the cooler months and you are also going to cover the pool, the 4 gallon model is probably going to work. I do not know your chlorine demand in the summer, but 4 gallons is not a lot. Let me know how what works out when you install it.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:57 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,081,381 times
I looked closely at the liquidator before I went with the salt system. I read about some issues with the floats and what not. My pool, in summer, was going through one big costco size 190oz bottle of clorox beach roughly per day. I just got tired of constantly buying and lugging around tons of chlorine.

Love the salt system. Cost wise I think it's a wash when you factor in replacing the salt cell, but for ease of use, it cannot be beat.

Quote:

Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I looked closely at the liquidator before I went with the salt system. I read about some issues with the floats and what not. My pool, in summer, was going through one big costco size 190oz bottle of clorox beach roughly per day. I just got tired of constantly buying and lugging around tons of chlorine.

Love the salt system. Cost wise I think it's a wash when you factor in replacing the salt cell, but for ease of use, it cannot be beat.
Wow that is a lot. Is their bleach at 6%? Wouldn't it be cheaper to by liquid chlorine at 10%? I buy by the 55 lbs barrel so it its cheaper like that (if its fresh it can be up to 12%). I assume buying per gallon is going to be about 2-3 bucks each? Miss the days of Chlorine gas which use to be really cheap.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM

Yeah that bleach is at 6%. The 10% bleach at the pool store is slightly cheaper if I could get it on sale. Costco was $8 for 3 190oz containers of 6%. NPS was around $5 for 2 128oz containers of 10%, if it was on sale. NPS is a bit further away than Costco for me, and I'm Costco regularly anyways.

You probably get a discount off the regular rates since you're a pool guy, so I'm sure it's way cheaper for you.

Quote:
Wow that is a lot. Is their bleach at 6%? Wouldn't it be cheaper to by liquid chlorine at 10%? I buy by the 55 lbs barrel so it its cheaper like that (if its fresh it can be up to 12%). I assume buying per gallon is going to be about 2-3 bucks each? Miss the days of Chlorine gas which use to be really cheap.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah that bleach is at 6%. The 10% bleach at the pool store is slightly cheaper if I could get it on sale. Costco was $8 for 3 190oz containers of 6%. NPS was around $5 for 2 128oz containers of 10%, if it was on sale. NPS is a bit further away than Costco for me, and I'm Costco regularly anyways.

You probably get a discount off the regular rates since you're a pool guy, so I'm sure it's way cheaper for you.

Not really by much, maybe 10%. The profit margins for NPS on chlorine is very low. They make money on others things like parts and such. The only real way to buy liquid is to buy it in bulk in a big barrel. Not practical for someone who has a residential pool. Curious at what level FC do you keep your pool at? What do you keep your CYA at? Borates?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:24 PM

Now that I am on a salt cell I keep my CYA at 80 and keep FC around 6. At those levels, I never have any algae. I usually have to add CYA at the beginning of the season since I notice it will dip to around 40. I bring it up to 80 at the beginning of the season and I don't mess with it again until next Spring.

When I was on liquid I would keep my CYA between 80-100 and shoot for an FC around 10.

I haven't put in borates yet since I had a cat that liked to drink out of the pool and I heard the borates can be harmful to animals. That isn't the case anymore, so I'm actually going to look into putting borates in soon.

Quote:
Not really by much, maybe 10%. The profit margins for NPS on chlorine is very low. They make money on others things like parts and such. The only real way to buy liquid is to buy it in bulk in a big barrel. Not practical for someone who has a residential pool. Curious at what level FC do you keep your pool at? What do you keep your CYA at? Borates?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,875,290 times
Quote:
Now that I am on a salt cell I keep my CYA at 80 and keep FC around 6. At those levels, I never have any algae. I usually have to add CYA at the beginning of the season since I notice it will dip to around 40. I bring it up to 80 at the beginning of the season and I don't mess with it again until next Spring.
How the heck do you lose CYA? Do you have a sand filter, and backwash and have to replace the water?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
How the heck do you lose CYA? Do you have a sand filter, and backwash and have to replace the water?
Splash out or Back washing will make CYA levels go down. There are chemicals out there that will lower CYA by 20-30 PPM but they are expensive. Adding a backwash valve to a pool can be an inexpensive/easy way to get rid of CYA when they approach 100 PPM. I actually use Trichlor pucks in my pool (only about 2 per week) and about a gal of liquid a week. I only use pucks in the summer and use only liquid cooler parts of the year. I have a backwash valve and if it gets near 90-100 PPM, I take some water out and fill. I try to keep my pool at 80PPM CYA with 6-8 PPM FC (less in the cooler months) I use a Polyquat 60 once a month in the summer to prevent algae.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 PM

No I don't. It's weird. I use my pool only maybe 2 times a year (sad I know), if that, and no kids so no major splashing or water loss that way. No water feature either. The only water loss in my pool is from evap.

Two years in a row I've noticed it drop from 80 to 40-60 and had to add CYA to bring it back up. I never add any dichlor or trichlor though.

The CYA test is a little subjective since you're supposed to add the cloudy pool water until you can't see the black dot. Even then, I doubt I am off that much.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas