Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,832,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, to each his own, I guess. As for me, I'm perfectly happy to spend $25/week to have 24/7 access to a beautiful setting and a refreshing pool to jump into whenever I feel the urge.
Exactly. It's all about individual choice. I much prefer having my backyard filled with citrus and fruit trees. If I want to swim in a large pool, my HOA has several for me to choose from. My guess is that most homeowners with pools like them primary for being "eye candy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,081,381 times
I agree! And once you have one, it's nearly impossible to stop taking care of it.

In the last 5 years I've replaced a pump, filter, added a salt chlorinator, retiled the pool, and had the kooldecking replaced. Hopefully I'm good for awhile. The total for all that was around 7k. That doesn't include chemical costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Threads like this make me happy that I don't have a pool.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM

2,565 posts, read 2,748,783 times
Steve (AA702) has reasonable rates and is reliable.

We love our pool.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:04 PM

61 posts, read 134,840 times
Have to totally disagree that chemicals cost $25 dollars plus a week. At most I spend 150-200 dollars a year on chemicals/chlorine/muriatic acid etc. So to pay a guy 100 dollars a month is not worth it.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:07 PM

61 posts, read 134,840 times
For people who say they are too busy the main thing to do is keep 5 tablets going in your floater at all times during the summer. Yeah that's time consuming takes 1 minute to do. Yeah keep paying a guy 100 dollars to do that, NOT.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:43 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,051,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, to each his own, I guess. As for me, I'm perfectly happy to spend $25/week to have 24/7 access to a beautiful setting and a refreshing pool to jump into whenever I feel the urge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melrobdd View Post
Have to totally disagree that chemicals cost $25 dollars plus a week. At most I spend 150-200 dollars a year on chemicals/chlorine/muriatic acid etc.
No one on this thread has said that chemicals cost $25/week. If your comment is in reference to my post above (since I'm the only person who has mentioned that specific dollar figure), then you've completely misunderstood what I was saying. I pay $25/week for my pool to be serviced, not to buy chemicals.

Quote:
So to pay a guy 100 dollars a month is not worth it to me.
There, I fixed your post for you. We all must individually determine what is and what is not worth spending our money on.

Quote:
For people who say they are too busy the main thing to do is keep 5 tablets going in your floater at all times during the summer. Yeah that's time consuming takes 1 minute to do. Yeah keep paying a guy 100 dollars to do that, NOT.
Yeah, I think I'll keep using a catch phrase from the early 1990s that went out of style shortly thereafter. NOT.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:56 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,353,941 times
I must have a better pool service than most people. My pool guy regularly cleans the filter, installed a new one for me, put a new impeller on my pump and even cut some branches that were overhanging the pool. I pay $85 per month, and I have never had a more reliable or thorough service.

DeLaRosa Pool Service 279-1284

Old 07-03-2012, 04:15 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,875,290 times
I'm just about ready to fire my pool guy. It was useful to have him come by once a week when I was gone for weeks at a time, but he really is completely clueless about water chemistry, and often leaves my pump running continuously rather than on the timer. I've also told him to stop putting chlorine in the pool unless it's liquid, but I still occasionally catch him throwing dichlor in the pool to shock it, which it absolutely does not need. Since we're spending the summer here, and in the pool just about every day, I'm testing and maintaining the water daily, and skimming it too, so there is really nothing for him to do. When we leave at the end of summer I'm going to cover the pool and leave it until we come back.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,723,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I'm just about ready to fire my pool guy. It was useful to have him come by once a week when I was gone for weeks at a time, but he really is completely clueless about water chemistry, and often leaves my pump running continuously rather than on the timer. I've also told him to stop putting chlorine in the pool unless it's liquid, but I still occasionally catch him throwing dichlor in the pool to shock it, which it absolutely does not need. Since we're spending the summer here, and in the pool just about every day, I'm testing and maintaining the water daily, and skimming it too, so there is really nothing for him to do. When we leave at the end of summer I'm going to cover the pool and leave it until we come back.
I wonder why he would put dichlor instead of Liquid? Dichlor is expensive and liquid is cheap. You might look into a liquid chlorine dispenser. You can find them online or you can build your own and feed it inline the same way the trichlor puck chlorinators are used.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:24 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,039,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I gotta disagree with ya, the pool needs attention weekly, and it's amazing how time passes when your busy, and by the time you remember your pool is already in trouble.

Yes you can shock it back into shape

But for the money to have someone else worry about it, is .. well for me.. peace of mind.

Jonathan
i agree..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas