Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM

34 posts, read 50,854 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. My boyfriend and I are looking at moving around mid Aug, from WA. Looking to escape the rain and lack of sun. We're looking at a few places, but just keep coming back to Las Vegas. We are currently living in the Columbia River Gorge area, which happens to be extremely windy, and cold. I read in a few threads people mention how bad the wind can get in Las Vegas. So I was wondering, just how bad is the wind? Are there more windy days then non? Is it mostly in certain seasons? Is it like 60 mph winds, or nice enough with the hot weather that it is enjoyable?

I saw a picture of Tivoli Village in one of the picture threads. I was wondering, is this in an OK area? Also they said it sat unfinished for a really long time, that there may be plans to add to it. I can't remember how old that comment was is this still the case? Are there houses around this area? Anyone happen to have more pictures of this area?

Is there any other areas that are similar to this that may be good to live? The area just looks so.... Unique and pretty. It's just the two of us, no kids. So I don't care about the schools, I want a safe area, like everyone else not crime infested/bars over the window/scared to leave my house. I realize no place is "safe" 100%. We want to be close to shopping, restaurants, things to do in general. Not on the strip, but with in 20 mins or so probably.

Lastly what do you wish someone would have told you before you decided to move to Las Vegas? Or As a Las Vegas native what do you wish someone would tell people before they moved?

Last edited by LacedButterfly; 06-22-2012 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 AM

25 posts, read 51,819 times
It gets windy sometimes, but I certainly wouldn't even think it was something to be concerned about. When it's really hot and windy that's when you would notice it more. I'm from the Northeast so I feel you pain as far as the "windy & cold". We were always dealing with rain and snow and cold. Been here 12 years this month and love it. Wouldn't even think of moving back. What you should do is try and come down for a long weekend to check out some areas yourself if possible. We made several trips out here and finally settled in Henderson. Pretty much every area is about 20 minutes from the Strip. There are shops and restaurants everywhere.
It's worked out very well for us. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
You could pick up a condo in Queensridge Place, across the street from Tivoli Village, for as little as $900,000. Check it out.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:27 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
You could pick up a condo in Queensridge Place, across the street from Tivoli Village, for as little as $900,000. Check it out.
They have gone as low as $550K. And you can get to $150K by continuing a block along Alta.

It is a reasonable area and there are nice condos for sale in the 150K to millions range. Next to Pecole Ranch which has nice SFRs. It is pretty safe by normal standards.

The Columbia gorge is, if I remember correctly, about the windiest place in the US at anything near sea level. There is some wind in Las Vegas but not comparable. It gets above 40 a couple of times a year. Other than that mere zephyrs compared to the gorge.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 AM

131 posts, read 209,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LacedButterfly View Post
Hey guys. My boyfriend and I are looking at moving around mid Aug, from WA. Looking to escape the rain and lack of sun. We're looking at a few places, but just keep coming back to Las Vegas. We are currently living in the Columbia River Gorge area, which happens to be extremely windy, and cold. I read in a few threads people mention how bad the wind can get in Las Vegas. So I was wondering, just how bad is the wind? Are there more windy days then non? Is it mostly in certain seasons? Is it like 60 mph winds, or nice enough with the hot weather that it is enjoyable?

I saw a picture of Tivoli Village in one of the picture threads. I was wondering, is this in an OK area? Also they said it sat unfinished for a really long time, that there may be plans to add to it. I can't remember how old that comment was is this still the case? Are there houses around this area? Anyone happen to have more pictures of this area?

Is there any other areas that are similar to this that may be good to live? The area just looks so.... Unique and pretty. It's just the two of us, no kids. So I don't care about the schools, I want a safe area, like everyone else not crime infested/bars over the window/scared to leave my house. I realize no place is "safe" 100%. We want to be close to shopping, restaurants, things to do in general. Not on the strip, but with in 20 mins or so probably.

Lastly what do you wish someone would have told you before you decided to move to Las Vegas? Or As a Las Vegas native what do you wish someone would tell people before they moved?
+1 that winds are bearable. In the Spring they get fairly bad, speed-wise, and in the Fall too, I hear, although I have yet to experience that (moved here for the northeast last Sept.). It's not every day and it does die down in the summer.
Can't tell if you realize Tivoli Village is a shopping area, not a neighborhood. The neighborhoods around it are very nice--Peccole Ranch, Desert Shores, The Lakes, anything in Summerlin might suit your needs for shopping & restaurants.
Also +1 on Henderson..very nice communities there and lots of shopping and restaurants. Definitely take some time and come explore for a week or long weekend...no matter what anybody says here, YOU are the one making the decision and only you can tell whether you'll be comfortable in a particular location. That being said, we here on the forum are always happy to make suggestions
Good luck!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:33 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOldfield View Post
+1 that winds are bearable. In the Spring they get fairly bad, speed-wise, and in the Fall too, I hear, although I have yet to experience that (moved here for the northeast last Sept.). It's not every day and it does die down in the summer.
Can't tell if you realize Tivoli Village is a shopping area, not a neighborhood. The neighborhoods around it are very nice--Peccole Ranch, Desert Shores, The Lakes, anything in Summerlin might suit your needs for shopping & restaurants.
Also +1 on Henderson..very nice communities there and lots of shopping and restaurants. Definitely take some time and come explore for a week or long weekend...no matter what anybody says here, YOU are the one making the decision and only you can tell whether you'll be comfortable in a particular location. That being said, we here on the forum are always happy to make suggestions
Good luck!
This is all true.

I'd add that when we say our bad weather is wind, we don't mean it is constantly windy, or that it's windy every day. We mean that we have almost no precipitation, rain or snow, no humidity (it is only seven (7%)percent right now as opposed to 78% in Seattle), so the only thing we have to complain about is heat and wind, and neither are really all that bad, although a few times a year both can be a little extreme. Like today it's blowing at 21 mph.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:04 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,828 times
Wind is caused by the sun heating up the atmosphere. So it tends to be windier in the afternoon. I dislike the wind so I try and get out in the morning if I'm going to exercise or be outside...It's not anything to keep you from moving here though.

Las Vegas’ Own Wind Song : Living Las Vegas

Old 06-23-2012, 07:18 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,395 times
There is a neighborhood across from Tivoli Village and there are some decent rentals there. I know someone who rents a house in there for $1500 and It is literally walking distance across the street to Tivoli and Boca Park. Great location and close to Summerlin Parkway.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:15 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Tivoli Village isn't finished yet. It's supposed to be at least twice as big when it is. They are going at it very slowly waiting for the economy to improve. Right now they only do enough work to keep their permits from expiring.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 AM

34 posts, read 50,854 times
Thanks guys! I do know Tivoli is just a shopping area, it's just a really pretty one lol. I figure my house is going to have views of buildings/houses in Vegas no matter where we choose, so I might as well look for some I wouldn't mind seeing. I really just like the style of buildings/colors, lol. Though probably going to skip it, (Thanks Buzz!) Don't really want to be in a construction zone, on purpose. Been there before lol.

Glad to hear the wind isn't so bad. I probably currently live in the windiest place in the Country, or could come close. 21 mph winds sounds like a dream to me. It is worse then that here almost on a daily basis, and well lets just say it's still in the 60's here, we may hit 77 later this week. YAY! lol. I was just concerned to see some people complain about it, but from the sounds of it, doesn't sound like much to complain about (other then being nearly your only bad weather to do so over lol).

We're probably just going to find a couple houses when it gets closer and just check them out when it goes. I wish we could afford a vacation there in the mean time. I don't really mind moving too much though, so If I don't like it, we'll just save up and pick a new place. I'm just trying to not move into a really bad area of town mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas