Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:37 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,321,072 times

Advertisements

That might have been my picture you saw of Tivoli Village I was driving around the last time I was there and saw it and also thought it was just really interesting looking, so I snapped a pic as I passed. I made the decision to pull in too late or else I would have.

Was this it?

There was a thread recently where the winds in Vegas were discussed and it seemed that to those who come from areas that are REALLY windy (like the midwest or where you are) the wind isnt really all that bad. I know where I live it is windy almost every day, and it gets really old! But what I gathered from that thread was it is no worse, or maybe better, in Vegas. (I did a search and couldnt find that thread specifically, I don't remember the title...maybe someone else does?)

Edit: I think this might be it:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ms-floods.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 12:13 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,602,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LacedButterfly View Post
Thanks guys! I do know Tivoli is just a shopping area, it's just a really pretty one lol. I figure my house is going to have views of buildings/houses in Vegas no matter where we choose, so I might as well look for some I wouldn't mind seeing. I really just like the style of buildings/colors, lol. Though probably going to skip it, (Thanks Buzz!) Don't really want to be in a construction zone, on purpose. Been there before lol.

Glad to hear the wind isn't so bad. I probably currently live in the windiest place in the Country, or could come close. 21 mph winds sounds like a dream to me. It is worse then that here almost on a daily basis, and well lets just say it's still in the 60's here, we may hit 77 later this week. YAY! lol. I was just concerned to see some people complain about it, but from the sounds of it, doesn't sound like much to complain about (other then being nearly your only bad weather to do so over lol).

We're probably just going to find a couple houses when it gets closer and just check them out when it goes. I wish we could afford a vacation there in the mean time. I don't really mind moving too much though, so If I don't like it, we'll just save up and pick a new place. I'm just trying to not move into a really bad area of town mostly.
I love this area of Summerlin. You could live near a 5 min drive and be close. If I had my choice I would live in Summerlin. IMO the prettiest place to live in Vegas. Especially closer to Red Rock being higher up and the views of the valley and Red Rock. The landscaping and planning of Summerlin is just divine. I live closeby in Centennial Hills so Summerlin is just a 10-15 drive. I often find myself in Boca Park and Tivoli Village is fun to walk around in even though it's not finished. It doesn't feel like a construction zone inside. Most of the work to be done is off on the side. You should see inside it's incredible.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/q6-SF...XKA37j0XTohcIg

Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 AM

15 posts, read 40,089 times
Quote:
Hey guys. My boyfriend and I are looking at moving around mid Aug, from WA. Looking to escape the rain and lack of sun. We're looking at a few places, but just keep coming back to Las Vegas. We are currently living in the Columbia River Gorge area, which happens to be extremely windy, and cold. I read in a few threads people mention how bad the wind can get in Las Vegas. So I was wondering, just how bad is the wind? Are there more windy days then non? Is it mostly in certain seasons? Is it like 60 mph winds, or nice enough with the hot weather that it is enjoyable?

I saw a picture of Tivoli Village in one of the picture threads. I was wondering, is this in an OK area? Also they said it sat unfinished for a really long time, that there may be plans to add to it. I can't remember how old that comment was is this still the case? Are there houses around this area? Anyone happen to have more pictures of this area?

Is there any other areas that are similar to this that may be good to live? The area just looks so.... Unique and pretty. It's just the two of us, no kids. So I don't care about the schools, I want a safe area, like everyone else not crime infested/bars over the window/scared to leave my house. I realize no place is "safe" 100%. We want to be close to shopping, restaurants, things to do in general. Not on the strip, but with in 20 mins or so probably.

Lastly what do you wish someone would have told you before you decided to move to Las Vegas? Or As a Las Vegas native what do you wish someone would tell people before they moved?
The area around Tivoli Village is nice and safe, but not unique. In fact, there aren't a lot of unique areas or neighborhoods/homes with character here. Most of Veags looks like master planned communities with cookie cutter homes that you can't tell apart.
The wind here can get pretty bad and it's never enjoyable, especially when it's hot (imagine holding a hot blowdryer in front of your face) but in my opinion it's not one of the worst things about living in Vegas. Everybody is different and I don't think you should rely on anybody's opinion on this forum, including me, to make a decision about moving here. What i like or dislike about Vegas may be different than what you may like or dislike. You should do your research and stay here for a few days before moving here. My other advice is to make sure you have secured a job before moving here.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:49 PM

34 posts, read 50,927 times
@Elle - No it wasn't that picture, but that is a nice picture too! It was actually this thread towards the end by BX (I think that was the mark?).

It sounds like the winds will at least be better then here, and if nothing else, personally I think windy and hot will be better then windy and cold, guess we'll find out. I have heard though the winds out there are not near as bad as they get out here, so that is a plus.

@Lyra... I have no idea why didn't look this up on yelp, there are so many amazing pictures there.

@Frank... unique is probably subjective. I have looked at 1,000's of pictures of the Vegas area, and while I will agree you can see a similarity, this shopping complex just seems to stand out a bit. Granted I haven't looked at every shopping area there, that would take a bit of time lol

I'd love the luxury of coming to visit for a long weekend, but alas that has never happened with any of my moves. It's actually odd to be doing as much research as I am. Though I guess when you're footing the bill and actually have the choice, it's much different then being told by the Military where to go and when to show up. lol.

I'm really not too concerned, it wont be bad enough that you can't live through it for a year or two and move again. That's how I see it.

Yes everyone has an opinion and you should take everyone's with a grain of salt. Never hurts to hear what people have to say though, that's for sure.

Thanks Everyone!

Last edited by LacedButterfly; 06-27-2012 at 12:16 AM..

Old 06-27-2012, 01:30 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,018,430 times
Quote:
I'm just trying to not move into a really bad area of town mostly.
Las Vegas does not have a "right side of the tracks/wrong side of the tracks." Multi-million dollar houses are within walking distance of $30K condos (zip code 89120, for instance). There are pockets of good and bad in nearly all areas. And there are very few zip codes that are uniformly good or uniformly bad. (I can't think of a single one off the top of my head. Even 89101, which is just about the bottom of the Las Vegas barrel, has some nice high-rise condos in it. I wouldn't move there if you paid me. But obviously, some people are willing to shell out the coin to live there.)

The only way, in my opinion, is to come here and do a "reconnaissance mission" to see what areas appeal to you.

If I were to write a flow chart for "where to move" it would go something like this:

1) Got kids?

2) School age?

3) If so, pick a high school.

4) Move to an area serviced by that high school and that fits your needs -- view, lot size, amenities, shopping, cost, etc.

5) No kids/not school age?

6) Find an area that fits your needs -- view, lot size, amenities, shopping, cost, etc. Doesn't matter about the local school's dropout rate. (Which is our case is more than 25%.)

For us, the criteria was: Proximity to family, view, lot size. And that's why we're here in Sunrise. A lot of people hate this area. But it works great for us. You're going to hear a lot of "move to Summerlin" or "move to Henderson" from the people who have a stake in the area. And those areas might just be for you. Or they might not be for you. Only a reconnaissance mission will help you know for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas