Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:09 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times

Advertisements

I just put a bid in for a short sale and it was accepted by seller, but don't know what bank will do. But if it goes through, there is a long list of things I would want to do. Mulling over costs in my head for all these "wants", one that stumps me as far as cost is a patio roof. There is none on back of house. I see these slat ones, and others that I'm not sure what they are made of. I think I prefer a solid roof, so if I get outdoor furniture, it won't get wet. I'd want to cover an area about 12 x 20. Anyone have any experience in having one put in, and if so what kind? Also, what did it run?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:15 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
With annual rainfall around 4 inches, I think outdoor furniture getting wet is pretty low on the problems list.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:01 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
With annual rainfall around 4 inches, I think outdoor furniture getting wet is pretty low on the problems list.
Very true. A bigger concern is the wind blowing it all over the yard or into the pool.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I just put a bid in for a short sale and it was accepted by seller, but don't know what bank will do. But if it goes through, there is a long list of things I would want to do. Mulling over costs in my head for all these "wants", one that stumps me as far as cost is a patio roof. There is none on back of house. I see these slat ones, and others that I'm not sure what they are made of. I think I prefer a solid roof, so if I get outdoor furniture, it won't get wet. I'd want to cover an area about 12 x 20. Anyone have any experience in having one put in, and if so what kind? Also, what did it run?
I have one of those "Alumawood" pergolas (that's what they're called). I wanted to DIY this (what a surprise). But I found a friend of a friend who said he'd do the job for less than what I could buy the materials for. (He got quantity discounts. I did not.)

The total was $2,800 -- half for the the materials, the other half for two days work when the job was done. On top of that, we paid a few hundred to have a slab poured. The "friend of a friend" did 90% of the job, and then disappeared. After a couple months trying to reach him, I finished the work myself. So our patio cost $1,400, which was less than half of the best price I could find for the materials alone.

It's held up GREAT over five years.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 PM

50 posts, read 85,196 times
Great idea! I say that because I have a balcony that is a little larger than what you are looking for and which covers about a third of my pool deck with shade. The utility of having a 24/7 shaded area like this is off the charts. It literally extends the ability to enjoy summer afternoons throughout the entire day. The concrete deck underfoot acts like a heat (actually, cool) sink overnight and keeps the shaded area about 6° cooler than other shaded areas in the yard well into the afternoon. I kept some household belongings on a unshaded concrete pad last summer and the sun destroyed them, so now their replacements happily reside in a shaded corner.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
The utility of having a 24/7 shaded area like this is off the charts. It literally extends the ability to enjoy summer afternoons throughout the entire day.
We also installed roll-up solar shades on our patio, and a misting system, so we can keep the whole area 20 degrees cooler than ambient temperature.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:32 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times
Scoop LV. Sounds like you really made out. Those things never happen to me. When I moved into my current house, I paid some guy to plant four good size mango and orange trees. He wanted money up front for the trees, and balance when he finished the planting. Needless to say, my check was cashed immediately, and never saw the guy or my fruit trees. Such is life.

I really like the looks of the pergola, but couldn't help wondering if it served it's purpose sufficiently, as some of the sun still gets through the slats. Wouldn't a solid one work better in keeping you cooler in total shade?

That misting system sounds interesting. They have them at a lot of the restaurants in Phoenix that have outdoor seating. Are they very expensive and is the install easy? I love to be able to sit outside and read and have a cup of coffee in the morning, so looking as you say to extend the pleasant time as much as possible. 'Thanks for your input.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
We got a decent quote from Proficient Patios, they offer solid & lattice type covers (Check their site) & I'm sure we could have talked down the price. I rather just get a hard top gazebo but my husband wants a real patio. I agree with the misters-install those too because they really make it more comfortable to sit outside. Home Depot has misting/mister kits.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
What area did you pick?

Whatever you decide to do with the patio, make sure it will stand up to a lot of wind. I just have the aluminum one that came with the house and it is ugly but holding up well. As far as patio furniture goes, worry more about sun damage than rain. Also remember metal gets really hot here. Those metal chairs last forever but they can be real butt burners!

Old 05-12-2012, 01:15 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
ONLY problem with misters is that the water is hard here and that clogs the nozzle....I would think that removing and soaking in vinegar overnight a couple of time a year might help that.

OH and dont expect much during monsoon season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas