Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:56 AM

1,187 posts, read 996,337 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where to get chocolate covered crickets or any other really GROSS stuff to eat here in the Vegas area??

We are holding a halloween party tomorrow night for our teenagers and we're having a "Fear Factor" esque game where they have to eat really gross stuff to win a prize.

Here's what we are getting so far.

Duck eggs with embryos in them (***shudder***)
Live Meal Worms
blood soup
fish paste
fish heads
Some sort of cow intestines

If you can think of anything else gross and where we can get them, please let me know ASAP! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,316,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Does anyone know where to get chocolate covered crickets or any other really GROSS stuff to eat here in the Vegas area??

We are holding a halloween party tomorrow night for our teenagers and we're having a "Fear Factor" esque game where they have to eat really gross stuff to win a prize.

Here's what we are getting so far.

Duck eggs with embryos in them (***shudder***)
Live Meal Worms
blood soup
fish paste
fish heads
Some sort of cow intestines

If you can think of anything else gross and where we can get them, please let me know ASAP! LOL!
Fish heads and cow intestines could spread harmful bacteria or viruses, same with most of the rest if not prepared properly. I'm guessing you probably don't want to kill them.

I know you can buy commercially prepared chocolate covered crickets by the case here (click). Not sure if they would ship fast enough though, probably not.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Fish heads and cow intestines could spread harmful bacteria or viruses, same with most of the rest if not prepared properly. I'm guessing you probably don't want to kill them.
We're getting them from restaurants, cooked and prepared properly. Nothing's going to be harmful... but I appreciate the warnings!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:16 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,316,210 times
I imagined you going to a slaughter house and getting nasty things like cow eyeballs and intestines. I've done that before, but not with the intent to make anyone eat them.

From a LV food forum I found some good suggestions:
Quote:
You can actually do quite well by just strolling around the Venetian/Palazzo compound. Bouchon's goes to the top of the list for foie gras, although Pinot Brasserie and Delmonico's would also make the list. The blood sausage at Bouchon's may also be something along the lines of what you are looking for. CUT has bone marrow done a couple of different ways on their appetizer menu, and also pork belly as a regular menu staple, although that also shows up often at several of the other places as specials (particularly at Enoteca San Marco). And B&B will bring a plethora of options off the beaten path - in addition to the lamb's tongue that you have referred to, there will usually be their "Tripe alla Romano", sweetbreads, and a beef cheek ravioli dish accented by crushed duck liver.
Someone else suggested China town...
Quote:
if you truly are adventurous, take the 6 minute cab ride to Chinatown. There are lots of restaurants all within walking distance of one another and you can find everything from stir fried intestines to cold kidney and everything in between. You'll also spend much less money over there. For specific Chinatown restaurants to try there are many old posts you can look at. Ichiza, Raku, Yunanan Garden are just a few that come to mind.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I imagined you going to a slaughter house and getting nasty things like cow eyeballs and intestines. I've done that before, but not with the intent to make anyone eat them.

From a LV food forum I found some good suggestions: Someone else suggested China town...
Yea we're already getting most of the items from china town restaurants and phillipino restaurants..

LOL! on going to the slautherhouse... I love me some meat, but not THAT much! hahaha

I was hoping someone could give me a more specific spot to look for chocolate covered bugs and stuff like that. LOL!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 PM

102 posts, read 256,340 times
When you go to get the eggs--which I imagine you are getting from a Filipino restaurant--ask about stinky fruit too. There is a super-stinky fruit from the Philippines that smells so bad most families I knew kept it in the freezer.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcrawler View Post
When you go to get the eggs--which I imagine you are getting from a Filipino restaurant--ask about stinky fruit too. There is a super-stinky fruit from the Philippines that smells so bad most families I knew kept it in the freezer.
ooooo that's a good one!! I've seen it on the discovery & food network shows. yuck!!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:00 PM

23 posts, read 42,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
ooooo that's a good one!! I've seen it on the discovery & food network shows. yuck!!
I think I saw that on Food Network too. I believe it's the Durian fruit? Green spikey looking thing? I have seen it for sale in a store near Chinatown.

On another note, have you tried the international marketplace? I believe its on Decatur and Trop. There is quite a selection of different types of foods, snacks, cuisines from around the world there. You should probably be able to find some things there that some might find a bit questionable to consume. Fear Factor status for sure.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:34 PM

102 posts, read 256,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasNative View Post
I think I saw that on Food Network too. I believe it's the Durian fruit? Green spikey looking thing? I have seen it for sale in a store near Chinatown.

On another note, have you tried the international marketplace? I believe its on Decatur and Trop. There is quite a selection of different types of foods, snacks, cuisines from around the world there. You should probably be able to find some things there that some might find a bit questionable to consume. Fear Factor status for sure.
Yes, it is the durian fruit! Here's a link so you know what you're looking for: Durian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcrawler View Post
Yes, it is the durian fruit! Here's a link so you know what you're looking for: Durian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yup, that's the one... blecky! Will have to see if I can find it! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas