Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM

55 posts, read 188,037 times

Advertisements

We moved to Las vegas several months ago,and purchased a new home in the Centenial Area.We have never been in a community with a H.O.A. We are wondering what to expect from them.We have heard so many horor stories about them.Is there any state agencies that regulate them,or are they like the gestapo that people have told stories about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 12:41 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
They probably TRAINED the Gestapo

Old 09-19-2007, 03:16 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,026 times
Depends on the association and its members. The problem I have with HOAs is that they cater to the whims of the most uptight homeowners and they have the power to put liens on your property if you don't follow their edicts.

They do help protect property value and keep your new masterplanned community looking new and masterplanned, which is a big plus for some homeowners.

Here's local weatherman Kevin Janison's public fight with his Summerlin HOA

Old 09-19-2007, 04:12 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco80233 View Post
We moved to Las vegas several months ago,and purchased a new home in the Centenial Area.We have never been in a community with a H.O.A. We are wondering what to expect from them.We have heard so many horor stories about them.Is there any state agencies that regulate them,or are they like the gestapo that people have told stories about.
too late now...you should've done your homework. Too many people move out there on a whim.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:00 PM

55 posts, read 188,037 times
You are so right.The sales people told us about the maintinance association,but neglected to tell us about the other H.O.A.until after we purchased the property.We haven't had any problems so far,we are just wondering what to expect in the long run.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,822 times
An ass. you got it right in the title. They are out of hand in most of the country. What exactly do my municipality taxes pay for if I have to pay an HOA too?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:12 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
I'd rather pay taxes...at least they're deductible on the Federal Tax Return...and schools seem to be better. NV has no state tax...and the schools reflect it (ranked 49th out of 50!)

Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco80233 View Post
Most HOAs are fine. You find a bad one now and then but it is rare. There is an omsbudsman in the Nevada Real Estate Division that deals with HOAs and a board that deals with them.

As a practical matter HOAs are now a way of life. It is not possible in many areas to develop a tract without an HOA.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
HOA's are there in large measure to enforce the CC+R's (Deed restrictions) that are often part of the ownership responsibilites -

As a previous poster mentioned, a vast majority of HOA's are just fine - one way to assure yourself that YOUR HOA is working for your interest is to get involved with the HOA - attend your HOA regular meetings - look at their budget - what, if any, are the complaints of other homeowners - what needs attention in your community -

Old 09-20-2007, 06:25 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I'd rather pay taxes...at least they're deductible on the Federal Tax Return...and schools seem to be better. NV has no state tax...and the schools reflect it (ranked 49th out of 50!)
What about Wyoming? No state tax and schools are 14th out of 50. South Dakota? No state income tax. Schools are in the top 20. Florida has good schools and no tax. So does Texas and Alaska (well I don't know about Alaska's schools, but they have no tax). Nevada just seems to have it's priorities a little askew. Give it time, it will come around. I think LV is just having growing pains. I have seen other cities come out of it and I think LV will to.

I do find it interesting, however, that only three states allow gambling by non-native American organizations, and only one of them has a state income tax. But then again, it is the most corrupt state in the country.

5 weeks and counting. Just intime to escape Wyoming's frozen hell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: