Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Check the landlords credit, it very likely is worse than yours!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Check the landlords criminal background too.
Yeahhh ... if someone wants my Social Security # & private details while I'm taking the business risk, I just give it to 'em.

Ain't happening. I'm the one taking the risk letting tenants move into a unit they can't afford to buy - as a result, I screen their credit & past rental history (be sure to do this if you're ever a landlord, it'll save lots of headaches & you'd be amazed some of the stuff you learn). There are numerous rules & regulations for me to be able to pull credit & compliance is not easy. Why would joe average be able to pull information on just anyone? Good luck with that.

What I *have* done recently is verify that I am the property owner in good standing (for a parking tenant who had heard about the common scam in Chicago, taking the money & running for a parking space that isn't theirs). If you're concerned about the legitimacy of the landlord, politely ask for confirmation that they're the registered owner & not in default.

If you have bad credit, a reasonable landlord should still be willing to rent to you ... some won't. Have a good explanation for why your credit is bad, be up front about it & be prepared to pay a bigger deposit, more money down and/or obtain co-signers. I just rented to a young girl I would've otherwise denied; both she & her co-signer had bad credit, I asked for an explanation & they provided a reasonable one. With a bigger deposit & extra security measure, we got it done & she's now a tenant. If they hadn't done those things, I would have said 'no' & continued to look at other applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,096 times
^^^
I don't have bad credit but to be honest, if I did, I would not sweat it. There is a plethora of rentals available, enough so that I can well afford to be choosy. It's not Silicon Valley circa 1999, it's Vegas with an enormous glut of empty homes, ya dig?

las vegas apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 PM

22 posts, read 77,254 times
Thanks for all the great info everyone!!! Hopefully by the time we move our credit will be improved, but it sounds like we will be ok with our current credit situation. Thanks Again. Anyone have any input on vegas towers, that is at the top of our list.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM

419 posts, read 907,259 times
Last summer my buddy moved out there. Due to a divorce and job loss, his credit was tanked. However he landed good employment in LV and had saved some reserves for deposit etc. He just told every rental place he went to the truth, 100%. Out of I believe 9 places he visited, 7 were willing to rent to him, 1 was a definite no, and 1, a maybe. He ended up with one of the places he really wanted, but would have settled for some of the others.

He did say a couple of the rental places said they almost never make any exceptions for prior evictions. Foreclosures were the least of a problem.
If memory serves me, his credit score was 580 or just under 600?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob090 View Post
Thanks for all the great info everyone!!! Hopefully by the time we move our credit will be improved, but it sounds like we will be ok with our current credit situation. Thanks Again. Anyone have any input on vegas towers, that is at the top of our list.
They are an overpriced joke. Although I have never lived there, I did see the place when a roommate of mine was thinking of moving there. The cheapest 1 br is over $900 a month, and they do not even have a washer/dryer. I could show you several apartments that are much nicer for less money than that place.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,822 times
Quote:
Hi everyone, my fiancee and i will be moving to vegas in the next year and we are credit challenged at this point. Was curious on any input about obtaining a lease with that situation. We have a good financial situation where we would be able to pay for 4-6 months rent in advance with cash. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks much.
There are many people in Las Vegas with bad credit. It probably has the lowest credit scores of any city in the country. Lots of broke down on their luck people there. In California as well. So you probably won't have much a problem. If they wanted good credit, they'd never rent any apartments!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:39 PM

I am very open to any suggestions and thank you in advance

Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
I am very open to any suggestions and thank you in advance
I can do that, but would a little farther west work? These are only 3 miles west of the MGM Grand, so they are still centrally located. I can personally attest that these are great apartments. They have all the same amenities as Vegas Towers, with the addition of a washer/dryer in unit, and they are over $200 a month cheaper (I am using a 1 br for reference)

Tower at Tropicana Apartments For Rent in Las Vegas, Nevada - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

That is just one. I recently moved, and I did an extensive search before finding a suitable place. Just let me know what boundaries you want to live in, and whether you need a studio, 1 br or 2.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:00 AM

We would like to be in walking distance to strip in a "safe" neighborhood, 1br would be fine as its just the two of us. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
We would like to be in walking distance to strip in a "safe" neighborhood, 1br would be fine as its just the two of us. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Good luck on that. Outside of the expensive tower options walking distance and safe dont really exist. Not to say you'll be a victim but you wont feel very safe. Plenty of desperate "characters" live close by and you just never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas